New Maxxis rubber- Mtbr.com
    I throw poo

New Maxxis rubber

The 2019 catalog shows a 24x2.2 Rekon. Nice to have another option. Hopefully they'll be easy to find.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

EAT MORE GRIME
    minions still there too ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

I throw poo
    I'm not sure what your point is.

EAT MORE GRIME
    are maxxis minions in 24 inch listed in the 2019 catalog ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

I throw poo
    DHF 24x2.4 in folding and wire, I think the same as 2018.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Mounted the new rekon 24x2.20 on 23mm internal rims tubeless ready,...(orbea mx24 trail)
    i simply can't the tires to seat.. also with compressor... they don't hold air... they stay completely deflated... they totally don't inflate.....sadly i mounted them with tubes....

They aren't TR tubeless ready tires, i know, but i've read that also the schwalbe rocket ron 24" aren't tubeless ready but they can be mounted tubeless

Mounted dozen of tubeless tires on my 29"...maybe i'm doing something wrong with these small tires?

I throw poo
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    Mounted the new rekon 24x2.20 on 23mm internal rims tubeless ready,...(orbea mx24 trail)
    i simply can't the tires to seat.. also with compressor... they don't hold air... they stay completely deflated... they totally don't inflate.....sadly i mounted them with tubes....

They aren't TR tubeless ready tires, i know, but i've read that also the schwalbe rocket ron 24" aren't tubeless ready but they can be mounted tubeless

Mounted dozen of tubeless tires on my 29"...maybe i'm doing something wrong with these small tires?
    I just mounted a 2.35 schwalbe, I had to run a 2nd layer of tape to snug it up enough to seat it on a Spank Spoon rim.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    HI,
    sorry but english is not my primary language.
    Do you mean that the rim channel is "too deep", so the sides of the tire don't touch them and the air goes immediately out?
    If mounted with tubes, can it be a good idea, to gently remove only one side, then remove the tube and install the tubeless valve, reinsert the tire sidewall in the rim and try with compressor?
    Maybe the side that i haven't touched will stay in place correctly seated, so there is less air coming out and the tyre will maybe correctly seat?

I throw poo
    What we did in the old days, when nothing was tubeless ready was this:

Take the core out of the valve
    Make some very foamy soapy water
    Get just the foam and apply it to the bead and rim
    Inflate with a compressor, or CO2 in a pinch
    Squirt your sealant through the value stem
    Reinflate
    Give it a good spin, leaning it over / then \ to make sure sealant gets to the bead

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    on my 29" i had some enduro casing tires that were really tigth, and the beads don't seat correctly... the tire itself inflate, but the beads are not correctly seated on the side.
    I remove air, apply a little soap foam on the beads, and then, also with a handpump, they inflate correctly, and the bead sidewall seat correctly in the rim.

I dont know if i've explained correctly the problem that i have with these 24"...when i inflate them, nothing happen, the tire really doesn't grow up. The sidewalls are really flexibile and thin, so i don't know if apply foam soap will help in this case ...
    Do you think i should try?

I throw poo
    I would try it. I think it will help it, you just need to hold a little air to get it started. I had the same problem with the Hans Dampf I just mounted, and I managed to get it seated with a hand pump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I've had tires that wouldn't seat unless I removed the valve core AND used a blow gun instead of the regular air chuck. That was the only way I could get them to seat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    hi, i will try the next days...
    Now it's time to try the new bike for my son and go for a ride...

Looks really cool to me.

Some upgrades already done:
    -maxxis rekon 2.20 instead of kenda smallblock8 (better front grip and more volume and rear damping for an hardtail).
    -smallest diameter(30mm) esi grips instead of the stock rubber grips(33mm diameter)
    -125mm cranks taken from his old 20" (152mm stock way too long for now)
    -35mm short stem slammed down

New Maxxis rubber-orbea.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Armor-all gel is super slippery. I've had success putting that on the bead before mounting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    hi, i will try the next days...
    Now it's time to try the new bike for my son and go for a ride...

Looks really cool to me.

Some upgrades already done:
    -maxxis rekon 2.20 instead of kenda smallblock8 (better front grip and more volume and rear damping for an hardtail).
    -smallest diameter(30mm) esi grips instead of the stock rubber grips(33mm diameter)
    -125mm cranks taken from his old 20" (152mm stock way too long for now)
    -35mm short stem slammed down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orbea.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	1252589
    That bike looks pretty dope! The black and color highlights looks really nice. I'd rock that for sure.

How are those cranks? I'm considering doing the same. We have 127mm on our 20" Spawn and I'm thinking they might move over to the 24" and perhaps even be ideal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hi, the picture wasn't up to date...they are the 152mm stock cranks.
    I've checked, and the old 20" cranks that are now on the 24" are 120mm.
    My son is 129cm tall, and these cranks suits him fine for now.. maybe i will switch to 130cranks, and at least 140... I think that in my opinion, 152 will be too long, also when he will outgrow the bike...
    So, in my opionion, your 127mm crank will be perfect! Try it

Yesterday we checked the bike for a quick 15miles ride, and the 120mm cranks are fine for now. (not optimal, but way better than 152).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi, the picture wasn't up to date...they are the 152mm stock cranks.
    I've checked, and the old 20" cranks that are now on the 24" are 120mm.
    My son is 129cm tall, and these cranks suits him fine for now.. maybe i will switch to 130cranks, and at least 140... I think that in my opinion, 152 will be too long, also when he will outgrow the bike...
    So, in my opionion, your 127mm crank will be perfect! Try it

Yesterday we checked the bike for a quick 15miles ride, and the 120mm cranks are fine for now. (not optimal, but way better than 152).
    My son is a little bit taller (131cm) than that but yea our cranks are also a bit longer at 127mm. When you say they aren't optimal, what did you notice that wasn't perfect? I'm more familiar with what to look for in regards to cranks too long rather than too short.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    My son is a little bit taller (131cm) than that but yea our cranks are also a bit longer at 127mm. When you say they aren't optimal, what did you notice that wasn't perfect? I'm more familiar with what to look for in regards to cranks too long rather than too short.
    HI, by not optimal, i mean that watching him pedal, a 127/130mm cranks will suit him better for now... maybe i will switch to 130 now, or keep the 120mm and then go to 140mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    on my 29" i had some enduro casing tires that were really tigth, and the beads don't seat correctly... the tire itself inflate, but the beads are not correctly seated on the side.
    I remove air, apply a little soap foam on the beads, and then, also with a handpump, they inflate correctly, and the bead sidewall seat correctly in the rim.

I dont know if i've explained correctly the problem that i have with these 24"...when i inflate them, nothing happen, the tire really doesn't grow up. The sidewalls are really flexibile and thin, so i don't know if apply foam soap will help in this case ...
    Do you think i should try?
    Do everything .and all together.. soap foam and valve core but it does sound like the tyre isnít properly around the valve ? If itís not working then gorilla tape to make the rim closer to the beads

Could also help to have a second person to prevent it getting crushed on the bottom and also keep the bit around the valve in place while the other pumps frantically

If you can get use of a compressor it always helps to just have an endless supply of air.
    We have a bike shop at a bikepark letís you use the compressor, otherwise sneak the wheel into a gas station

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Do everything .and all together.. soap foam and valve core but it does sound like the tyre isnít properly around the valve ? If itís not working then gorilla tape to make the rim closer to the beads

Could also help to have a second person to prevent it getting crushed on the bottom and also keep the bit around the valve in place while the other pumps frantically

If you can get use of a compressor it always helps to just have an endless supply of air.
    We have a bike shop at a bikepark letís you use the compressor, otherwise sneak the wheel into a gas station
    HI,
    today second test:

The tyre was inflated with tube for 5days
    I gently removed one side of the tire, and removed the tube, and inserted the tubeless valve without the valve core.
    Then i reinsert the side wall. (the opposite sidewall was seated, but not as much... the tire seems really loose).
    i apply some foam soap.
    The tire beads are seating close to the rim in both sides
    The tire sidewall are correctly at the side of the internal valve.
    I used an air compressor to inflate the tire.

Same result... almost no inflation

The tire seems really loose on the rim. Also with a tube, the tire really don't "pop" on the rim when inflated. English is not my language, better than that i can't explain...
    When not inflated it seems that that the tire is a 24.5". :-)

I'm really thinking that this tire is really don't suited to be mounted tubeless...

The next (and last) test will be:
    apply on the internal rim one or two turns with a gorilla tape, and let me help by another person to hold the tire against the rim... but i really think that the sidewalls don't pop on the rim..

The rims are Mach1 Klixx 23c Tubeless Ready, 23mm internal width and pretaped with a "slippery" lime color "plastic stile" tape. This tape goes also up on the side hooks... watching by eye it is approx a 25/26mm wide tape.

However.. my son already done 40miles of both asphalt, trails and some slippery descents... feelings are great! Rolls well and grips very good when braking without locking the rear.
    First test where 11psi in front, 13/14 psi rear
    My son is 57lbs(26kg)
    Maybe when he will push harder and get more feeling with the bike i can raise some pressure

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    HI,
    today second test:

The tyre was inflated with tube for 5days
    I gently removed one side of the tire, and removed the tube, and inserted the tubeless valve without the valve core.
    Then i reinsert the side wall. (the opposite sidewall was seated, but not as much... the tire seems really loose).
    i apply some foam soap.
    The tire beads are seating close to the rim in both sides
    The tire sidewall are correctly at the side of the internal valve.
    I used an air compressor to inflate the tire.

Same result... almost no inflation

The tire seems really loose on the rim. Also with a tube, the tire really don't "pop" on the rim when inflated. English is not my language, better than that i can't explain...
    When not inflated i can almost turn the the tire if holding the rim. It seems that the tire is a 24.5".

I'm really thinking that this tire is really don't suited to be mounted tubeless...

The next (and last) test will be:
    apply on the internal rim one or two turns with a gorilla tape, and let me help by another person to hold the tire against the rim... but i really think that the sidewalls don't pop on the rim..

The rims are Mach1 Klixx 23c Tubeless Ready, 23mm internal width and pretaped with a "slippery" lime color "plastic stile" tape. This tape goes also up on the side hooks... watching by eye it is approx a 25/26mm wide tape.
    Hey your English is fine !
    If the tyres are still loose then the gorilla tape might help that.
    The second person might also help by gradually moving away from the valve and keeping it seated.
    24 can be harder just because the tyre is curved more ..

Some tyres/rims donít make much pop and work fine once up.

We currently have a Maxxis 2.5 high roller with wire bead and a schwalbe fat Albert 2.4 and previously had rocket Ronís on a stans i23
    The rocket Ronís seated so easily Jnr can do them easily himself with a track pump.
    The fat Albert was not hard either and just takes a lot of air
    The wire bead Maxxis was a real problem without compressor .. itís been on a year and barely needed inflating since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hey your English is fine !
    If the tyres are still loose then the gorilla tape might help that.
    The second person might also help by gradually moving away from the valve and keeping it seated.
    24 can be harder just because the tyre is curved more ..

Some tyres/rims donít make much pop and work fine once up.

We currently have a Maxxis 2.5 high roller with wire bead and a schwalbe fat Albert 2.4 and previously had rocket Ronís on a stans i23
    The rocket Ronís seated so easily Jnr can do them easily himself with a track pump.
    The fat Albert was not hard either and just takes a lot of air
    The wire bead Maxxis was a real problem without compressor .. itís been on a year and barely needed inflating since.

Hi,
    before buying and applying a gorilla tape (that can then be difficult to remove for glue residues) i would make another test that cost me zero money, to see if the tire can be mounted tubeless.
    I will explain, let me know if it can be a solutions:

i will cut an old 20" tube and obtain a "ring" that will be approx 25mm wide.
    I will apply this tube ring in the inside of the rim. (the tube ring will have a hole for the tubeless valve.
    The thick tube will be even more thick than two layers of gorilla tape.

What do you think? Can it work as a test? (not the final solution)
    Should the tube ring be as wide as the internal rim width or should it go also over the side hook?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi,
    before buying and applying a gorilla tape (that can then be difficult to remove for glue residues) i would make another test that cost me zero money, to see if the tire can be mounted tubeless.
    I will explain, let me know if it can be a solutions:

i will cut an old 20" tube and obtain a "ring" that will be approx 25mm wide.
    I will apply this tube ring in the inside of the rim. (the tube ring will have a hole for the tubeless valve.
    The thick tube will be even more thick than two layers of gorilla tape.

What do you think? Can it work as a test? (not the final solution)
    Should the tube ring be as wide as the internal rim width or should it go also over the side hook?
    Hard to give a definitive answer (sorry)
    Donít worry about the residue ... it comes off pretty easy.

The tube could work but itís not as slippery as tape. Itís hard to say without seeing but it seems part of your problem is getting the tyre to the rim

My experience is other than wire bead tyres once you get it to the rim itís just a matter of keeping going. It doesnít matter if itís leaking air so long as you can pump a bit faster than itís leaking.

Once itís there it might well leak from a non tubeless tyre but once itís seated more or less thatís just the sealants job.

I donít have easy access to a compressor so I just use a track pump and on really stubborn stuff a airshock.

One way or another though itís always worked ... but sometimes itís about adding extra volume and sometimes changing the shape of the rim long enough to get the tyre to the rim...

In general when itís loose itís extra volume but the tape isnít hard to get off anyway (warm the residue and some solvent like isopropyl/rubbing alcohol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hard to give a definitive answer (sorry)
    Donít worry about the residue ... it comes off pretty easy.

The tube could work but itís not as slippery as tape. Itís hard to say without seeing but it seems part of your problem is getting the tyre to the rim

My experience is other than wire bead tyres once you get it to the rim itís just a matter of keeping going. It doesnít matter if itís leaking air so long as you can pump a bit faster than itís leaking.

Once itís there it might well leak from a non tubeless tyre but once itís seated more or less thatís just the sealants job.

I donít have easy access to a compressor so I just use a track pump and on really stubborn stuff a airshock.

One way or another though itís always worked ... but sometimes itís about adding extra volume and sometimes changing the shape of the rim long enough to get the tyre to the rim...

In general when itís loose itís extra volume but the tape isnít hard to get off anyway (warm the residue and some solvent like isopropyl/rubbing alcohol )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OK, the 20" tube cutted at 25mm and installed in the rim channel, do the trick!
    Not by hand pump, but with compressor(and valve core removed), it immediately inflated!
    Ok, now:
    - Inflated at 30psi, and in approx 10minutes the tire goes to zero pressure. By hearing the sidewalls, i hear some silent air that slowly goes out... Will in this case adding sealant will solve this? How much sealant for a 24x2.20 tire?

For my bigger tires, i let them completely inflated for 24hours(and only then i add sealant) They still lose some pressure after 24hours, but not so much!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    OK, the 20" tube cutted at 25mm and installed in the rim channel, do the trick!
    Not by hand pump, but with compressor(and valve core removed), it immediately inflated!
    Ok, now:
    - Inflated at 30psi, and in approx 10minutes the tire goes to zero pressure. By hearing the sidewalls, i hear some silent air that slowly goes out... Will in this case adding sealant will solve this? How much sealant for a 24x2.20 tire?

For my bigger tires, i let them completely inflated for 24hours(and only then i add sealant) They still lose some pressure after 24hours, but not so much!!!
    Sealant now ... thatís really the hard bit done.
    How much depends on brand but if the sidewalls are leaving stick extra ... it will soak in ... make sure you shake them about and really best to ride (take a pump though) probably about 100ml (I donít really measure any more .. I use a syringe with a pipe that fits and I think itís 100ml

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Sealant now ... thatís really the hard bit done.
    How much depends on brand but if the sidewalls are leaving stick extra ... it will soak in ... make sure you shake them about and really best to ride (take a pump though) probably about 100ml (I donít really measure any more .. I use a syringe with a pipe that fits and I think itís 100ml

HI,
    added sealant and shaked the wheel. It is about 1hour and the pressure is still the same.
    It holds!!!

thanks a lot...

Only one last question.... if the rim is tubeless ready, but the tire is a folding version, but non marked as TR... can i have problems? Maybe from the sidewalls coming out of the rim bead in turns?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    HI,
    added sealant and shaked the wheel. It is about 1hour and the pressure is still the same.
    It holds!!!

thanks a lot...

Only one last question.... if the rim is tubeless ready, but the tire is a folding version, but non marked as TR... can i have problems? Maybe from the sidewalls coming out of the rim bead in turns?
    Anything is possible but itís unlikely. Just get out and ride ...
    Start with a bit of extra pressure if youíre concerned then gradually let it out. On his 24 my boy has pressures below my pumps ability to measure but he only weighs 30KG

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Anything is possible but itís unlikely. Just get out and ride ...
    Start with a bit of extra pressure if youíre concerned then gradually let it out. On his 24 my boy has pressures below my pumps ability to measure but he only weighs 30KG

My son is now gone to 24"... he is now 57lbs(26kg)
    First test with tubes where 11psi in front, 13/14 psi rear
    Will start also with these with tubeless and see... Without tubes, the tires should be even more comfortable for him...as they deform more freely to the terrain.
    For such a lightweight rider, also having some cushion effect from the tires can have a big impact to him... he really tell me when doing some rough stuff that he feel in the arms if the pressure is too high for him.. with the above pressure he feel good and no pain in the arms.. We do some XC trail riding but also some difficult sections for him... but he is doing fine! We stop, he watch the trail, he choose his line and go!
    The old 100mm 27.2 dropper on his 20" is now also mounted on the 24"
    Maybe this summer i will bring him in some simple bikepark trails.