New 24" bike for 8 year old - hybrid type- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

New 24" bike for 8 year old - hybrid type

My daughter is 8, 4'2" tall with 21.5" inseam and weighs 54#.
    she just started riding and still struggles with starting unless it goes downhill. Her current bike is a single speed 20" from a department store. We have some hills on our bike paths. For the time being our riding will be on paths and maybe some mild compacted forest trail. nothing you would call real MTB. So I'm leaning strongly towards a rigid fork. i know some have good suspension forks (whatever good means for a child bike), but think the cost and weight penalty isn't worth it for the type of riding.

If for some reason she would turn out a big MTB fan (she is more on the scared side, and just learned to ride) I may look into a more capable bike for the next one.

My riding is on rigid bikes only. I assume this new bike will be for up to the age of 11 or so. So 3 years. She is an only child, so at the end I will sell it.

No good used options nearby.

My main concerns are:
    - light weight
    - 1x drivetrain with freehub for potential upgrades. I assume normal trigger shifter (no grip) is better?
    - standard BCD chainring to adjust gearing if needed
    - good brakes (good V-brakes OK, but hydraulic disc would be good)
    - standard stem, handlebar etc. to be able to upgrade/fit without being proprietary.
    - separate breke/shift levers so i can upgrade the one independently
    - deliverable to my house

I found:
    Vitus 24 for $329 has V-brakes, 1x7 and 1.75" tires (actually i submitted a question to clarify if it is 1x7 or 1x8)
    Vitus 24+ for $429 has hydraulic disc brakes, 2.6" tires and seems to have lower standover. It seems to be 1x7.
    Commencal for $429. It has 1x7 and mechanical disc brakes and 2.6" tires. I really don't see how that would win over the Vitus 24+
    Frog 62 for $550 with rim brakes and 1.5" tires.

Am I missing a contender? And are the Vitus the best bang for the buck? They are not really great with showing geometry numbers or details on the crank and chainring type.

Alternatively, for more offroading, the Trek roscoe 24 comes with 2.8" tires. Basically a kid's fatbike. But i fear for most our riding those tires would hold her back. But for rolling resistance the quality and tread of the tire matter more than just size. none of the above will be heavier than her current 20" department store bike.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don't know all the details super well but the Prevelo Alpha Four - 499$ is a nice hybrid bike based out of SoCal. Woom has done well in this market as well, def check out their stuff.

Definitely check out what the bike Dad's have listed (woom and prevelo included there) as they are one of the few sites that are giving good advice and keeping it updated:

https://thebikedads.com/24-bikes/

Note they have different categories: Rigid, Hardtail, Full Suspension

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    thanks, Svinyard. there definitely are nice bikes out there. I have to be careful to not buy one for myself :-)

Today I had her try that 24" (a free department store bike) and she is still an inch too short to use it.

Since this is a 3-year only deal I'm still partial to the $329 Vitus. Does anyone know if that comes with 7 or 8 speed and if that is a freehub or freewheel?

The description refers to "Freewheel: Shimano HG200 7-Speed, 12-32t" but also to "Shifter: Shimano Rapidfire M315-8R, 8 speed, Rapidfire Plus with gear display" and "Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera M360-S, 8 Speed, Direct Fit". That 7-speed seems to be a cassette (HG hub, not a freewheel). Is it possible they install 8-speed shifter and RD, but limit it to a 7-speed cassette?
    Anyway, it seems a great deal and a big leap from the department store bike.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So after riding with her today over our pot-hole bike paths and her veering over the grass I decided some wider tires will be better. That leaves the Vitus 24+ and the Woom Off 5.

The Woom is a bit better (lighter, 1x9) at a higher price. But I'm concerned about the brakes. They are no-name and only 140mm. The vitus has 160mm Tektro brakes. So I can donate some of my brakes if need be. Wit ht eh 140mm brakes i would be stuck with whatever road bike standard that may be. They also have what they cal "baby taper" that uses a 1" steerer (tapered from 1-1/8). So one can't use normal stems.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I don't know about the Woom or the Vitus. I have in the past bought a co-op bike from REI, and although it has some low end components, I was/am happy with it for the price. They have a kids hardtail rigid fork and 2.6" tires for $379. It's not fantastic but I can't see it being any worse than a $329 rim brake bike. It has mechanical discs not hydraulic. Also twist shifter which my kids generally dislike.
    https://www.rei.com/product/143169/c...plus-kids-bike

Pello Reyes is in line with what you are looking for but a bit more expensive than the others, and probably out of stock.
    https://www.pellobikes.com/bike-shop/reyes

Read the fine print on CRC shipping and whether or not it's actually free. I have seen people complain that it is not actually free due to caveats, but I have not ordered from them, so I don't actually know.

I spent a long time and got tired of trying to find the perfect deal and bike. I bought my 55" tall 9YO a 27.5 Commencal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    I don't know about the Woom or the Vitus. I have in the past bought a co-op bike from REI, and although it has some low end components, I was/am happy with it for the price. They have a kids hardtail rigid fork and 2.6" tires for $379. It's not fantastic but I can't see it being any worse than a $329 rim brake bike. It has mechanical discs not hydraulic. Also twist shifter which my kids generally dislike.
    https://www.rei.com/product/143169/c...plus-kids-bike

Pello Reyes is in line with what you are looking for but a bit more expensive than the others, and probably out of stock.
    https://www.pellobikes.com/bike-shop/reyes

Read the fine print on CRC shipping and whether or not it's actually free. I have seen people complain that it is not actually free due to caveats, but I have not ordered from them, so I don't actually know.

I spent a long time and got tired of trying to find the perfect deal and bike. I bought my 55" tall 9YO a 27.5 Commencal.
    Yes i also got tired of looking and got afraid I spent all spiring looking instead of riding. Her 18" bike has the seatpost at the highest and the knees are bent. Also the single speed makes her walk the bike uphills. Definitely ready for the upgrade.

i ordered the Vitus+. and also learned shipping is $46. but still a good deal. i saw the REI bikes. they seem a bit heavier at 28# and have a freewheel and mechanical disc brakes. So the Vitus is still a good deal.

Now I hope shipping goes all well with covid 19.

Now I'm a bit afraid they set the brakes up the British way with the front on the right. So need to swap the hoses around and bleed. Grrrr.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Gt Stomper/Lola Ace at Dick's have a freehub and disc brakes. Coil fork is a tank but can add a suntour air 24 for ~$160 when you're ready. When you catch them on sale and with 20% off every couple months you can get them for $290 or lower.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably a little too late to mention now, but wiggle.com is the same parent company as CRC and sometimes has lower shipping rates and / or different coupons.

Srock photos look like front brake on the left to me.

A note on tires, not sure at 24", but at 20" the 20x2.8 vee crown gems are the only kids plus tires that I've seen so that have measured anywhere near listed size. If the 24x2.6 is true to size as well, it's probably a hair wider than the CST Fringe 2.8s on the Trek Roscoe. Those measured more like 2.55" when we tried the 20" - actually not bad for a reasonably fast rolling tread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My daughter is 5 1/2, but about the same size as your daughter. We just (last Friday) got a Priority bikes Start 20" https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/start20 (You can get it through Costco for $319!)

So far I REALLY like this bike. It's light enough (less than 20 lbs) compared to deparment store bikes, has a low/no maintenance belt drive, and a 3 speed hub (again no/low maintenance). Comes with a fairly grippy Kenda small block 8 tire (I think it's about 1.7. The brakes and wheels are a little cheap (that's why it's in the $300 range and not the $500 range).
    This bike will give her some gear options (but not too many, which is probably good when you're learning how to shift) and some knobby tires. Getting kids away from a coaster brake is huge too! And this is about one of the cheapest bikes that will allow you to do that. Also this will be a decent option on roads and some light trails, versus going with a specific MTB.

My daughter was the same as yours and was having issues with starting on flat ground, but within a couple of days of riding this bike she's making huge gains and can now do flat ground starts (she was really good on the balance bike, but has struggled for 1.5 years on the heavy Diamondback we bought her). This bike has been a game changer for her, and she's SUPER stoked to ride everyday now! Another plus is that this type of kids bike should have pretty good re-sale value.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    https://haromtb.com/collections/kids...4-plus-ds-2020

1x8 drivetrain
    Hydraulic disk
    2.6 tires takes the shock while being rigid
    $480

Got one for my daughter a couple months ago, she is 8 and 51 inches tall. It seems to handle everything from sidewalks as I run, insprires confidence on technical climbs with the traction the wide tire provide.

Future upgrades, will try 1x9 or 1x10 conversion , then bump up to a 30 or 32 tooth front sprocket for a bigger range.

Added bonus, holes for a water bottle cage. My daughter loves that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    https://haromtb.com/collections/kids...4-plus-ds-2020

1x8 drivetrain
    Hydraulic disk
    2.6 tires takes the shock while being rigid
    $480

Got one for my daughter a couple months ago, she is 8 and 51 inches tall. It seems to handle everything from sidewalks as I run, insprires confidence on technical climbs with the traction the wide tire provide.

Future upgrades, will try 1x9 or 1x10 conversion , then bump up to a 30 or 32 tooth front sprocket for a bigger range.

Added bonus, holes for a water bottle cage. My daughter loves that.
    This also is a really great bike and deal.

My vitus24+ shipped this morning and is supposed to arrive next week.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    This also is a really great bike and deal.

My vitus24+ shipped this morning and is supposed to arrive next week.
    If you would be so kind to put a short review when your Vitus arrive, i'm just about to pull the trigger on one for my daughter XD

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Received the bike today after about a week of shipping time.
    DHL let's you "release" the signature, so you don't have to be at home to sign for it.

All was properly packed and undamaged.

I had to install the front wheel and the pedals. It came with 2 sets of pedals. One with a light stud-grip. the other with more aggressive grip studs.

It also came with a multi-tool and a 15 mm wrench for the pedals. I didn't use those, so can't tell if they are good.

All was set up properly and I didn't need to adjust the RD or so. It comes with a bell (which my daughter loved most :-).

It is a 7-speed (and only a 7-speed shifter). their listing is a bit odd referring to 7-speed cassette, and chain, but mentioning 8-speed shifter.

She rode it for a bit, but is a bit small still. For now she can ride both her 18" and get used to this one.

I didn't weigh it. Someone on CRC stated it weighs 10.5 kg, which seems reasonable. It still would be 2 kg lighter than her current single speed 18" bike. Note the bikes that have lower listed weight have smaller tires.

the above Haro bike also is a good offer. i think the only spec-advantage is it being 8-speed (with same range). note that the Haro bike only goes to an LBS when you order it. I definitely prefer the direct-ship to my home. Especially in distancing times like these.

Overall I recommend it.

Edit: the brakes were set up the US/continental way. Front brake on left and rear brake on the right. i was afraid they set it up the British way, but fortunately not.
    Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 04-01-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad