Need Fast Advice on Girls 24" Please!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Need Fast Advice on Girls 24" Please!!!

So, I ordered her a Vitus when they were having a Black Friday sale. Noticed it still hadn't shipped ... and now they said it's out of stock and they're cancelling my order, two weeks before Xmas (and after most shops and REI have had their sales). UGH

Our budget isn't huge. $400 range. My daughter is 9 and she's never been a super confident rider - meaning she's fine around the neighborhood but tends to panic on easy trails when she gets into trouble, and she's not the type of kid to want to do jumps etc. We do live in CO and near trails, and usually take a spring trip to Moab. Her little brother is only 4 so most of our riding isn't too technical and she's just too timid for that anyways.

Bike options: LBS has Cannondale Quick and Trails both on sale for $320 (I think the Trail at that price is last year's colors). Trail has suspension but it adds 5 lbs, so I really don't know that it's worth it. She's a rail and only weighs 62 lbs as is. I wish the tires on the Quick were a bit wider. Should I get the lighter Quick and get wider tires? Will the rims hold them (I don't know how to read the rim specs).

Raleigh Rowdy/Lilly also readily available for around $320-330. Knobby tires, low weight. I did read that it has a more aggressive stance that might feel intimidating for a more timid rider . . . which my daughter is.

We have an REI nearby, though their REV bikes seem heavy in comparison.

I've read a lot of good things about Guardian bikes, though with their one handed brake system I realize it's not a good mtbr . . . but maybe for her type of riding it doesn't matter?

Other suggestions? (aside from spending a lot more, we can't right now so please don't launch into the whole "wait and save and spend $$$" because she might even outgrow this 24" in another year and THEN we will invest more). I would like to buy something today to make sure it ships in time and there's time for any extra assembly. (Bikes with limited assembly a plus, we're not super bike handy beyond a tire change)

I'm really annoyed with Chain City Cycles. They never informed me until I reached out to them wondering why it didn't ship, and then they just sent me a form type email cancelling the order with zero apology and without an offer to maybe get a discount on something else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've said it in other requests. GT Lola/Stomper Ace at Dick's Sporting goods is a decent buy. Currently with 20% off through 12/12 it's $263. Has a real rear hub so you can add old 8/9/10/11 speed stuff easily.

And you can get a Suntour Air 24 fork online from Walmart for $75 right now to replace the coil spring suspension fork on the front. There's a thread about it towards the top of the page right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Will swapping the fork drop any weight, and how much? At 28 lbs, that's a lot of bike for a skinny girl who only weighs 62-64 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahq View Post
    Will swapping the fork drop any weight, and how much? At 28 lbs, that's a lot of bike for a skinny girl who only weighs 62-64 lbs
    It was 292g lighter than the suntour coil fork (probably same as cannondale) that came on the Liv Enchant I got for my daughter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My daughter is 7, 45" tall, 45 lbs, and has a Cannondale Quick 20 which is 22 lbs. Honestly I wish I had waited to find a Trail 20 (or equivalent) with the suspension fork and knobby tires, but still I'm OK with it since it was only $100 used.

Even though the bike is lighter, she is not confident on it since it bounces around a lot. The 1.5" wide slick type road tires wash out alot. I'm planning on getting her some knobby tires for Christmas, from my measurements a 1.95" or 2.0" tire will fit.

Otherwise I don't really want to put any money in the bike since it's likely we are buying both kids new bikes next summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you're thinking about wider tires, it's worth checking with the local shop to see if they have any deals on the Cujo 24.

We got a deal on the 20" at our local shop a few months ago for ~$400, which isn't all that much more than the Quick + a good set of tires.

Overall, the lower bottom bracket on all the Cannondale bikes is probably a good thing for a more timid rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Which Vitus were you trying to order? ChainReaction has the Vitus 24 and the Vitus 24+ both in stock right now.

If they sold you a Nucleus 24, that stinks because it hasn't been in stock for almost 6 months i think.

I had been waiting on the Nucleus. When I got tired of waiting I ended up going for the GT stomper 24. I swapped out the cassette for a 11/42, threw on some GX components I had in a spare bin, made some other minor mods and will be swapping in that Suntour Air fork tonight. All in I am into a bike we are really happy with for under $450.

For what its worth this is for my 9 year old daughter. She is a very capable rider but is a bit more on the cautious side. I went Stomper over the Lola because I will pass it along to her younger brothers when its time and they should be able to rip on it.

Good luck.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I wish you were closer as I have a near mint 24" Trek MT220 for sale locally.

~~~~~~~~
    You should consider a Commencal, they are in Golden, $449. Your boy will be on it before you know it.
    https://www.commencalusa.com/ramones...ge-c2x29149166

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks! I will look into them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks all! My daughter rides around the neighborhood most days. I think we are going to get the Quick and then swap out tires for Moab this spring. I talked to the LBS guys, and the owner said the coil air fork is basically worthless for her size and adds needless weight. We talked about adding an air fork to the Trail, but we're still left with a heavier bike that would be a drag on longer non-tech rides (we have a lot of nice long paved bike trails through the neighborhood and my little guy can ride in a chariot or a ride-along). The Vitus had the best of both worlds, IMO - 1.75 tires and trigger shifters and still light, but oh well. If she gains some confidence, we can always resell this bike or add a more tech mountain bike to the fleet.

Members who have read this thread: 47