Moving on up :)- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moving on up :)

mtbr member

Moving on up :)

Well the 20" bike was short lived - daughter decided to try out the 24" last weekend. She did great and looks lot better on this one. It went in this week to get the fork swapped out - saved about a pound doing that. As it sits right now the bike is at 28.5 pounds.

Now i've seen there are Rocket Ron's available in 24" and if I can score a pair of those it'll pull another 2 pounds of rotational weight off her bike - that sure will help out.

Her first real ride on it was just over 6 miles and she did real good.

New pic's later

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving on up :)-sascha-20.jpg  

Moving on up :)-sascha-24.jpg  

Wēk Ss
    what bike is the 24"? It looks nice, love the low standover. I keep waffling on what to do for my son. 24" or small 26"....I have enough parts to build a small 26", but he already said he doesn't like the frame (all black), and he wants some color, like my bikes (flourescent green, etc.), and possibly full suspension. Who told these kids they can have an opinion!

mtbr member
    2008 Specialized Hardrock Gromrock Disk - with a 12.5" frame. Online shows 26.3" standover height. Found it at Fat Tire here in Portland Oregon on sale - though it was sitting next to the Gromhit - that is a crazy looking bike Was little difficult to pull her away from that flashy paintjob on the Hit.

Removed the thrid ring and put a guard on it. Had one Avid brake so put that on the back to replace the Tektro for now as well - lot easier and smoother feel. Had a SRAM X4 so tossed that on the back and was able to shorted the chain a little.

And now its sporting the Rock Shox Reba - just needs new tires and she's set. Well at least for now

Anyone still looking for the GromHit - Fat Tire Farm has two on the floor and on sale

Ed

Wēk Ss
    wow nice! It looks better than the Hotrock series, though it seems to be no longer made.

I'd check out the GromHit, but I think it's too much bike (too heavy) for a normal kid. My son would think otherwise if he saw it, but daddy knows best since it weighs in at almost 40lbs....and daddy isn't going to shuttle anybody on a consistent basis. Heck, I have trouble riding a 40lb bike up some of these hills here....

I put dual chainrings on my son's hotrock 20, along with an 8 speed cassette with a wheel I built. I had some cranks cut down, so he can now climb some of the trails with me. The things parents do....insane in some eyes.

mtbr member
    I hear you - but if the child has fun riding then to me its worth it.

I do wish these cranks were a touch shorter for now - later on they'll be good but right now i'm not sure if they are the best length for her given the saddle height she has to run.

Anyone know a place that'll machine in a new set of holes for pedals?

mtbr member
    I just built a 26" Sette Reken 14" Frame and laced up some 24" wheels for my son's 8th birthday. He won't get this til August. I put a set of cranks I bought from this guy (link below) and he was wonderful to deal with. He made them 140mm. He will shorten many cranks or you can buy a new set from him.

http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/shorten.html

Here is the finished product (Pics below):
    26er Sette 14" frame
    Disk hubs laced to 24" Sun-ringle Single Trak rims
    26er Manitou R7 100mm
    SRAM X5 Shifters
    X5 Derailleur 9 speed
    Shimano Deore LX front Derailleur
    Truvativ ISOFlo Square Taper shortened to 140mm
    Blackspire Red Ringgod
    113mm Truvativ Square Taper
    Avid B7 fr/rr
    PG950
    Junor Seat

* I also bought him a new Grom Hit for Diablo, but that's atleast a year away *
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving on up :)-posted-pic-1.jpg  

Moving on up :)-posted-pic-2.jpg  

Moving on up :)-posted-pic-3.jpg  

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I just built a 26" Sette Reken 14" Frame and laced up some 24" wheels for my son's 8th birthday. He won't get this til August. I put a set of cranks I bought from this guy (link below) and he was wonderful to deal with. He made them 140mm. He will shorten many cranks or you can buy a new set from him.

http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/shorten.html
    That's a nice bike! I also used bikesmithdesign for the cranks.

Wow, you bought a Grom Hit. How much did the Grom Hit set you back? The Grom Hit and the Kona Stinky 2-4 look comparable.

mtbr member
    Yes, I bought a brand new inbox 2007 Gromhit (the first year they looked like an SX Trail). It's black and was only avaiable in Canada that year, so I had them ship it to me in NJ. It was around $900 shipped and has been sitting in my garage for a year. I'd expect my little dude to be ready for it next season. I bought it since they were discontinueing it. Have you considered buying a Stinky 2-4 frame and building it up? We are doing just that with the wheels on the bike above (next year when my son is ready for 26" wheels) for my friends son. We bought this:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+BIke+Frame

mtbr member
    @RSabarese - that's a real nice looking ride. Looks like it's probably quite a bit lighter than what I have for my daughter. I'll check that guy out for cranks - thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0