which low end shimanos for little hands?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187

    which low end shimanos for little hands?

    I just realized my daughter's tektro mechanicals are probably not going to be fun for her when we go to Highland in June. Do any of the sub-deore level sets have adjustable reach? She's getting a new bike at the end of the year and her little sis already has a hydraulic setup on her yama jama so I'd like to keep costs down. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bikes in jeans
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,172
    We haven't had the same issue but there's a number of threads on here complaining about all shimano's not having realistic adjustability for small hands. I did SLX on a build for my daughter and they work great for her, but I've done Deore's on some for family members and there's no major difference between the 2 IMO. I don't think I would go much lower end than Deore's considering how cheap they are for the level of performance and serviceability. I think I got my last whole set for something like $100 with rotors even, but I don't think it's difficult to find a pair for around $100.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    61
    The cheapest set on Jenson has adjustable reach.

    I'll also add that the Tektro's on my kids bikes have been fine for them (youngest age riding was 7 years old)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187
    I had my daughter try out some XTs tonight at the house and it seems they will fit well(likely good enough for 1 finger braking!). I'll just go with deore or slx since they use the same lever shape and adjustment range (I think).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    87
    How little and how much adjustment do you need? I run the M396 on both my kids bikes and they are adjustable and work really well.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187
    Thanks. The m396 sound good with the reach adjustment (which was originally all I wanted) but after thinking about it, I'd rather spend a bit extra for the more powerful set to give her the ability to one finger brake as she will be doing a LOT of braking. It suddenly seems silly to try and save a little bit of money on brakes when we will be vacationing at a lift park for nearly 2 weeks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    It suddenly seems silly to try and save a little bit of money on brakes when we will be vacationing at a lift park for nearly 2 weeks.
    Heh, good call. It may or may not matter in your case, but the banjo bolt on the SLX and above calipers can help a lot with getting optimum hose routing.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187
    That's a good point, and would probably make it easier when it comes to putting on other bikes requiring new hoses. I already ordered the deore though, and sort of want to check them out anyways since my FS bike has SLX and my wife's has XT. Variety is the spice of life.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    603
    The new BR-MT420 looks like it'll be an interesting option - budget 4 pistons along with a new budget 203mm rotor:
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-mountain.html

    Brake: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../BR-MT420.html
    Lever: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../BL-MT401.html

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    The new BR-MT420 looks like it'll be an interesting option - budget 4 pistons along with a new budget 203mm rotor:
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-mountain.html

    Brake: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../BR-MT420.html
    Lever: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../BL-MT401.html
    That looks pretty nice, however the big appeal for me for Shimano is their short lever. Same with Magura. That lever looks more akin to the longer Tektro levers rather than the XT/Deore levers. Maybe I'm wrong tho?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    That looks pretty nice, however the big appeal for me for Shimano is their short lever. Same with Magura. That lever looks more akin to the longer Tektro levers rather than the XT/Deore levers. Maybe I'm wrong tho?
    Looking at the Shimano site, they show a 3 finger and a 2 finger version of the lever, but neither product page has a photo. The article photo may be the 3 finger lever.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Looking at the Shimano site, they show a 3 finger and a 2 finger version of the lever, but neither product page has a photo. The article photo may be the 3 finger lever.
    Ah gotcha! That would be nice if they had a similar lever to the XT's with some reach adjust. Do you know what the cost is?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    That's a good point, and would probably make it easier when it comes to putting on other bikes requiring new hoses. I already ordered the deore though, and sort of want to check them out anyways since my FS bike has SLX and my wife's has XT. Variety is the spice of life.
    SLX is identical to XT if you have the right security bit for the reach adapter or replace it.

    Definitely a good call on the banjo though ... and if possible you can give yourself a couple of inches spare so brakes can be swapped to another bike without a new hose.

    A weeks uplift sounds like a no brainer to invest in brakes ... and you then have the benefit going forwards and on the next bike too

    Weve got a whole selection of levers ... from Deore 6000 and Zee to SLX and XT both present and last gen (685/785 and 7000/8000) but all my calipers are SLX or XT .. take the same pads and top load. Kids bikes are all XT levers .. hes the fussiest person I know for brakes and they all have to be exact whereas Im pretty unfussy so long as they work




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. $400 for brakeset. Hope or Shimanos?
    By sooner518 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  3. Mechanic question: New to Formulas, miss my Shimanos!
    By mikemikemike in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
  4. I cannot get a good bleed on my 2012 Shimanos
    By Mr WingNut in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
  5. how good is Shimanos Pro stuff
    By nauc in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.