Looking for 24", 1x, rigid w/ disc options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for 24", 1x, rigid w/ disc options

Looking to upgrade my daughter to a 24" bike. She has absolutely no desire to ride offroad/singletrack EVER (I've failed somehow....). So other than maybe the occasional gravel road/path this thing is going to be staying on the sidewalks and bike paths.

I want to stick w/ a moutnain bike style I think, so no drop bars or walmart cruiser bikes.

Here's what I think I want:
    MTB style
    Flat bars
    1x drivetrain (grip shift preferred but not required)
    Disc brakes
    Rigid front fork
    non-agressive, non-fat (faster rolling) tires if possible
    Price Range: $500 (or so)

Lots of options out there if I wanted the fatter tires (Canondale Cujo, Salsa Timberjack, Giant XTC, Scott Scale Plus) , but I don't see much point pushing those tires around if she's not riding offroad. I suppose I could get one and just immediately switch tires....

Closest thing I've found so far is the Raleigh Redux. Not crazy about the colors but my daughter didn't seem bothered.
    http://raleighusa.com/redux-24

REI didn't have anything in our store but does have a Diamondback on it's website that fits the bill (I assume I could order online and ship to them).
    https://rei.com/product/113849/diamo...o-24-kids-bike

Haro seems to have a few options. Too bad my local dealer is not where I'd prefer to spend my $$. I *will*, I would just rather not as I hate to continue rewarding their awful customer service. Got completely ignored again when I stopped in there this weekend despite standing there looking at 2 kids bikes right in front of an employee for like 10 minutes.... he was too busy shooting the shit with someone else (he wasn't making a sale, the guy was picking up his bike and they were just chatting). I'd think after buying 3 bikes there, I could at least get a "hello, we'll be with you in a minute". Totally a common occurrence there, not just me either (my buddy bought an $8,500 bike in there last year and gets ignored regularly too). I rarely even stop there anymore as 50% of the time end up just walking out without being acknowledged. I only know they can probably get these by finding them on my own and doing a dealer search.
    https://haromtb.com/collections/kids...easley-24-2018
    https://haromtb.com/collections/kids...=3555736518696
    They had a Scott Scale RC JR would be perfect (with less agressive tires eventually) but they are like 1k.

Anyway, stopped at most of my local shops already and haven't found much else. There's a few shops I haven't tried yet though. Can anybody suggest something I haven't seen? The disc brakes and/or 1x seem to be limiting factor in most brands. Lots of rim brake options (Kona has a few for example). Maybe I should rethink my aversion to rim brakes or drop the 1x requirement. I do like the look of the Trek Dual Sport (3x), 1x just seems like a big enough range for most kids and having her thinking about which shifter she needs to use seems unnecessary.
    Last edited by cobi; 07-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This is basically the whole reason IslaBikes exists. Beinn 24". I'd never recommend one of these for a mountain biker but they are PERFECT for what you want. If it were me I'd try to find a sick 18in BMX from Fit tho and keep the dream alive . BMX will help develop her skills much better and they are just more fun to ride. Leaves the door open for mtb too. If she just rides the IslaBike, it'll be tough to make the jump as she'll but stuck only knowing how to sit and ride most likely.

https://www.islabikes.com/product/ki...einn-24-age-7/

https://www.sourcebmx.com/Mobile/en/...n=UnitedStates

Buy this!
    Looking for 24", 1x, rigid w/ disc options-34304-1.jpg

mtbr member
    She has no interest in doing BMX. We live less than a mile from a really nice BMX track and she never went past the strider bike "races". Also have a bmx/skate park area about a mile the other way. No real interest in that either.

Without gears it's useless for our intended use. We'll be going for longer rides, spinning on a bmx won't cut it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Unfortunately you won't find proper kids bikes at a local bike shop. The best kids bike makers all sell direct.

The very best bike that fits your description is a Woom 5. No disc brakes because calipers are lighter and discs aren't really necessary if you're not riding aggressively.

Prevelo Alpha 4 is another excellent good option.

Both of those are 1x.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Unfortunately you won't find proper kids bikes at a local bike shop. The best kids bike makers all sell direct.

The very best bike that fits your description is a Woom 5. No disc brakes because calipers are lighter and discs aren't really necessary if you're not riding aggressively.

Prevelo Alpha 4 is another excellent good option.
    We have a lot of shops for a smaller town.... thankfully biking is huge here so there's lots of options, just not that many that fit my narrow definition or they don't stock all the models on the floor (I have no issue with ordering it in). I can get pretty much everything I posted above locally if needed.

Out of curiosity why do you like those brands? More kid specific engineering, lighter, etc....? Price point seems as high or higher than most of the more well known brands I've been looking at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Your price range and your requirements don't meet in the middle. You can get combinations of your requirements, but I don't think you can get all of them. Disc brakes is going to be a big one. It sounds like she's a casual rider and is going to be that way for a while. As much as we, as bike snobs, want to load our kids up with top notch components if they're just going to ride it around the neighborhood a lot of the things we'd choose for ourselves just aren't necessary. Disc brakes being one of them. Also, grip shift/Revo seems to come on all the low-end bikes. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, just a callout. I converted my youngest sons 20" Felt from Revo to trigger over the weekend, huge difference already. Again... just something to think about.

For your price range, I would focus on a bike in a color she likes. The Trek Roscoe 24 meets all the requirements except for the grip shift. Looks like a fun bike, but being 24+, might be a little more burly than what she wants. The Specialized Hotrock is huge in the segment you're looking at and it comes in little girl friendly colors. Yes it has the boat anchor on the front, but at the end of the day it's not going to give you any issues and she's never going to know the difference. I obsess about bikes most days anyway so I'll keep digging but hopefully that'll give you a couple of models to chew on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Forgot about one... have a look at the Orbea MX 24 Team USA and the MX 24 XC. The "Team" seems to hit everything except the brakes and comes in 3 color options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    She has no interest in doing BMX. We live less than a mile from a really nice BMX track and she never went past the strider bike "races". Also have a bmx/skate park area about a mile the other way. No real interest in that either.

Without gears it's useless for our intended use. We'll be going for longer rides, spinning on a bmx won't cut it.
    I know but I threw you two bikes. The BMX was a stretch but why not the Beinn? Seems ideal for what you described which is a road bike fyi. Beinn can be ridden off road (some guys kids are using it like a XC bike here).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I know but I threw you two bikes. The BMX was a stretch but why not the Beinn? Seems ideal for what you described which is a road bike fyi. Beinn can be ridden off road (some guys kids are using it like a XC bike here).
    I missed that Beinn link somehow, I only clicked on the BMX one. Gues I thought they both went to the same bike. It looks fine as an option but is higher priced that what I've already found locally that I think would work (and have disc brakes). If I'm going to order direct, it would need to be heads and shoulders above what I can get through a local shop.

So far the Raleigh seems to be my daughters favorite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    Your price range and your requirements don't meet in the middle. You can get combinations of your requirements, but I don't think you can get all of them. Disc brakes is going to be a big one. It sounds like she's a casual rider and is going to be that way for a while. As much as we, as bike snobs, want to load our kids up with top notch components if they're just going to ride it around the neighborhood a lot of the things we'd choose for ourselves just aren't necessary. Disc brakes being one of them. Also, grip shift/Revo seems to come on all the low-end bikes. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, just a callout. I converted my youngest sons 20" Felt from Revo to trigger over the weekend, huge difference already. Again... just something to think about.

For your price range, I would focus on a bike in a color she likes. The Trek Roscoe 24 meets all the requirements except for the grip shift. Looks like a fun bike, but being 24+, might be a little more burly than what she wants. The Specialized Hotrock is huge in the segment you're looking at and it comes in little girl friendly colors. Yes it has the boat anchor on the front, but at the end of the day it's not going to give you any issues and she's never going to know the difference. I obsess about bikes most days anyway so I'll keep digging but hopefully that'll give you a couple of models to chew on.
    I *can* get all the options at that price point, just looking for additional options over what I already found. Sure, maybe they are low end disc brakes, etc.... I'll reconsider trigger shifters, just figured she's used to grip and its probably easier overall.

I do agree that the bike snob factor is playing a part in my decisions here. She's had nothing but hand me down bikes so far (wifes old 1970's Schwinn's which were restored and awesome..... but used none the less, and then a hand me down 20" MTB from her cousins). I really want her to have one that she picks and is brand new and hers. Hoping maybe it re-ignites her riding excitement a bit. We used to do quite a bit of riding and she has definitely been less interested in riding the last 2 years. We still do, but not nearly as much. Trust me, my wife already thinks I'm crazy for looking at a $350+ bike for an 8 year old! To me that's not unreasonable for a quality bike, it's like the cost of the dropper post on my bike! Haha.... Plus, I kinda think resale will be better/easier if we sell it (knowing us we probably wouldn't sell it though since it would be her fist "new" bike).

I like the Trek Roscoe 24, I had looked at that but grouped it in with the other fat tire options. Looked at the Hotrock (which is actually sold at my preferred shop), but again the fork would be useless weight and the rim brakes I felt were a downgrade. I think I'd prefer the Raleigh or either Haro over it for the same price. The Orbea is sweet too actually even with v-brakes!!! Just really like the look of it. I may see if the local dealer has them in stock to look at closer. I think our only Orbea dealer is in the next town over and I haven't been in there for quite a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I missed that Beinn link somehow, I only clicked on the BMX one. Gues I thought they both went to the same bike. It looks fine as an option but is higher priced that what I've already found locally that I think would work (and have disc brakes). If I'm going to order direct, it would need to be heads and shoulders above what I can get through a local shop.

So far the Raleigh seems to be my daughters favorite.
    ??

Dude it is head and shoulders better.

-the cranks are appropriate length at 140 and not silly 152
    -wider range cassette and one more gear in 8sp
    -The chainring isn't a rediculous 36t but appropriate 32t
    -its about 5lbs lighter!!! (alum 7005)
    -it's going to fit so much better out of the box because it's IslaBikes

IslaBikes as a company does nothing but super sweet kids bikes with a focus on kids ergonomics not their companies supply chain of crappy cranks etc. As a mtb guy I don't love their bikes for younger kid developments but for this size and what you want, there isn't much better if any. They also make prob the best kids XC steed too (for like 2500$). Their customer service is great too (hq in Portland). If it's money, sure go with a cheaper bike, that makes sense... If it's not tho, the Isla is a much better bike for a lot of important reasons. The gearing, cranks and chainring are enough alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    ??

Dude it is head and shoulders better.

-the cranks are appropriate length at 140 and not silly 152
    -wider range cassette and one more gear in 8sp
    -The chainring isn't a rediculous 36t but appropriate 32t
    -its about 5lbs lighter!!! (alum 7005)
    -it's going to fit so much better out of the box because it's IslaBikes

IslaBikes as a company does nothing but super sweet kids bikes with a focus on kids ergonomics ncompanies supply chain of crappy cranks etc. As a mtb guy I don't love their bikes for younger kid developments but for this size and what you want, there isn't much better if any. They also make prob the best kids XC steed too (for like ot their 2500$). Their customer service is great too (hq in Portland). If it's money, sure go with a cheaper bike, that makes sense... If it's not tho, the Isla is a much better bike for a lot of important reasons. The gearing, cranks and chainring are enough alone.
    I'll look closer at it. I only clicked the link quick to verify I had missed something in your original post. I hadn't started looking at specs and comparing.

I will say that based on my wife's reaction to a $350 bike, another $300 jump is probably out of the question.

Edit: Bike Radar test seems to agree with you (although its from 2011). 5lbs is a huge difference.
    https://bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl...by-them-32544/

Cleary Meerkat seems to be popular with some as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The kids specific makers are FAR BETTER than anything you will find in the local bike shop.

That corner of the industry exists because the major makers botch it so badly. Start with the concept of a 60-80lb kid riding a 29lb bike. It's a ridiculous proposition. Then add cranks that are far too long, brakes that are hard to reach and actuate, seats that are too big, gear ranges that pretty much suck, grips that don't fit their hands, shifters that don't work well I could go on and on.

Check out some reviews from folks who grade kids specific bikes. The major makers rarely enter into the conversation. They're that far off the mark with their products.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I second the Prevelo Alpha Four, it comes under your $500 budget by $1 but you do pay a penalty in weight, not much thou. It has great reviews and a more aggressive riding position and HTA, I think, closer to a MTB in rider position.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Closest thing I've found so far is the Raleigh Redux. Not crazy about the colors but my daughter didn't seem bothered.
    http://raleighusa.com/redux-24
    That bike is $285 with the corp discount.

As for the Hanjo...!!! Get the Hanjo Trail 24, besides being a full on gravel bike it is equipped much better. With the corp discount it is 324, a bit less than the REI bike lol. Add some accessory to get the free shipping...

https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-trail-50519

Woops forgot the link for creating a corp account in case you're interested.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9796487-dia...bicycle-stores

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Get the Hanjo Trail 24, besides being a full on gravel bike it is equipped much better. With the corp discount it is 324, a bit less than the REI bike lol. Add some accessory to get the free shipping...

https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-trail-50519
    I looked at that one a bit. Drops concern me for shifting/braking. I know if has the second set of levers on the top bar, but it looks like she'd have to shift from the hoods. Also it has the front derailer I was hoping to avoid or seemed a bit like overkill for general bike path riding. Nice bike option, but not sure it's right for what we are trying to accomplish..... maybe I'll show her and get her opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I looked at that one a bit. Drops concern me for shifting/braking. I know if has the second set of levers on the top bar, but it looks like she'd have to shift from the hoods. Also it has the front derailer I was hoping to avoid or seemed a bit like overkill for general bike path riding. Nice bike option, but not sure it's right for what we are trying to accomplish..... maybe I'll show her and get her opinion.
    Check the Raleigh RX24. It's a 1x setup with braking on the brifters. Flat bar wise... eh I prefer drops for the road. Been riding drops since I was 12yrs old so well yea it feels natural to say the least. Check the thread below, you can confer with those parents regarding drops maybe? Doh, the RX24 was 325 last month on Amazon.

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-ridi...d-1056934.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Haro has a couple of models:
    Aeras and Beasley
    Ooops...missed that part of your post...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi Cobi, I donít know if this would work but I just got this for my 8 year old today.. it does have a front suspension fork but it has disc brakes, easy to reach levers, 1x8, and trigger shift.. the levers are actually really smooth and easy for kids. I think they got this one right and less $$$ than a lot of the other bikes out there with even less positives going for them! I got this under $300 which is pretty good considering I think.. plus they come in a couple of different color schemes that give her some choice too😉
    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/stomper-ace-24

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    The kids specific makers are FAR BETTER than anything you will find in the local bike shop.

That corner of the industry exists because the major makers botch it so badly. Start with the concept of a 60-80lb kid riding a 29lb bike. It's a ridiculous proposition. Then add cranks that are far too long, brakes that are hard to reach and actuate, seats that are too big, gear ranges that pretty much suck, grips that don't fit their hands, shifters that don't work well I could go on and on.

Check out some reviews from folks who grade kids specific bikes. The major makers rarely enter into the conversation. They're that far off the mark with their products.
    I agree with Sacto Geoff.... even when a major manufacturer are selling something it will be well into double your budget and probably still need a lot of modification to get reasonable.

Either you need to spend a bit or modify. There is little or no point in spending a lot and still needing to modify.
    As Svinyard said... the Isla ticks your main boxes and is ready to ride.

If you want pedalling the Isla is good .. you won't need to switch the drivetrain for shorter cranks however it won't take disc brakes without an adaptor.

Disc compatible frames the Orbea MX 24 series is a good geo for trail riding... all the frames have disk tabs so you can always change later but they do ship with ridiculously long cranks that will be the entire opposite of what you will probably be doing short term (based on your comments). Jnr's first cranks were some SRAM S600's I cut down and retapped. He now has external BB's but weight loss isn't as dramatic as you'd expect with a good quality Sq. Taper BB.

The question really is if you also want good and disc compatible wheels which will be the biggest expense.

You can always switch the cranks or shorten some if you want to keep the options open and either can have an air fork fitted later.

You might want twist grip now ... it's love or hate but far more seem to go with hate but its pretty much a cheap option to change later. I wouldn't choose a bike over a single <$20 part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I bought a Norco Storm 4.1. Checks all your boxes. Iíve removed the suspension fork and replaced it with a Trailcraft rigid fork to save some weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looking to upgrade my daughter to a 24" bike. She has absolutely no desire to ride offroad/singletrack EVER (I've failed somehow....). So other than maybe the occasional gravel road/path this thing is going to be staying on the sidewalks and bike paths.
    Got be brief as Iíve a 2.5 hour drive to get jnr to his DH race...
    3 years ago he had no interest in riding a bike ... full stop.
    We started riding gravel paths ...he started doing blue trails ... then ... 3 yrs later heís racing DH... just sayin ... he had 5 best friends a month and 5 favourite foods a week and 5 new ones he hated when he moved onto a 24... aged 6 ish ...at 5 he was a non sporty bookish kid ... at 8 .. well heíll read on the drive to the race then throw himself down the hill and has taken to lots of other sports... he still races XC as well

Like I say just sayin ...