Lightweight Hotrock 20 Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Lightweight Hotrock 20 Build

Here are my plans to convert my son's 2014 20" Hotrock into a lightweight XC bike. He's 5 years old and riding a Spawn Yoji 16 right now so I have a few months before he will need to upgrade.

My goal was to get him a 20" bike that's 17lbs or less for the cost of a new Hotrock or his Yoji ($400). I think I can sell off some old parts (seat, fork, wheels, tires) and get him well under $400. Drivetrain will be 9 speed Deore handed down from Mommy's bike since she's getting a 1x11 SLX upgrade. I'm wondering if I should upgrade cranks and chainring also?

Lightweight Hotrock 20 Build-image001-1-.png

Lightweight Hotrock 20 Build-20190528_124643.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Btw as an aside, keep the 16" and you can use it as a makeshift BMX that he can ride for another 3 or so years. My 8 year old practices his tricks (Manuals, bunny hops, etc) on his sisters 16" Yoji. The geo is great and the bike is so light he can get the wheels off the ground easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nwa bike dad View Post
    Btw as an aside, keep the 16" and you can use it as a makeshift BMX that he can ride for another 3 or so years. My 8 year old practices his tricks (Manuals, bunny hops, etc) on his sisters 16" Yoji. The geo is great and the bike is so light he can get the wheels off the ground easier.
    Great idea! We'll be keeping it around anyway for his 3yo brother that's currently on a Hotrock 12

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like a fun project!

Seatpost will probably save you more than listed, since he likely won't need a full 350mm, so you could cut it down.

Don't forget the weight of grips - I only see handlebars on that list. I'd consider the Protaper Junit bars if you haven't gotten bars yet, though. They're more in both price and weight, but significantly better sized for kids hands.

Also don't see a stem on the list: likely an opportunity to drop a little weight there with a Wren stem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For grips the lightest I know of are the Lizard skins ESP. They'll save around 65g over a typical grip.

Aest Mag Ti pedals are 161g.

Run tubless and you don't have tube weight (also rolls better it seems).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I like the ODI grips. They aren't the lightest, but my kids LOVE the custom etched clamps with their names on it, and the ruffians are fairly narrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Sounds like a fun project!

Seatpost will probably save you more than listed, since he likely won't need a full 350mm, so you could cut it down.

Don't forget the weight of grips - I only see handlebars on that list. I'd consider the Protaper Junit bars if you haven't gotten bars yet, though. They're more in both price and weight, but significantly better sized for kids hands.

Also don't see a stem on the list: likely an opportunity to drop a little weight there with a Wren stem.
    How much would a stem save me? Looks like half a pound for $60 which isn't that great compared to the rest of my mods. I might not be calculating correctly though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    For grips the lightest I know of are the Lizard skins ESP. They'll save around 65g over a typical grip.

Aest Mag Ti pedals are 161g.

Run tubless and you don't have tube weight (also rolls better it seems).
    Thanks for the suggestion... Ordered white lizard skin DSP on eBay for $12 shipped!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm also wondering what it would take to set it up tubeless. I thought the rims and tires had to be "tubeless ready"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardvette View Post
    I'm also wondering what it would take to set it up tubeless. I thought the rims and tires had to be "tubeless ready"
    Tubeless ready makes it easy and is all I've done personally. I suspect that many non tubeless rims and tires would mount up tubeless just fine though. I'd tape over the spoke holes, install a valve stem, and see if you can get them to seat. If they do, squiret in some Stan's and you are all set. If not Google ghetto tubeless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Does anybody know the weight of the stock stem?