light tires for kids 27.5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

light tires for kids 27.5

Any recommendations on light weight tires for a kids 27.5?

After months of debating and looking and promising my son that "we will get you a new bike soon" I finally gave up finding the "best deal" and ordered a 2020 Commencal Meta HT Junior 27.5. The primary deciding factor was... it is red.

It comes with Vee Flow Snap 27.5x2.35, which Commencal lists as 860 grams, and everyone else lists as 960 grams. I'm going to let him ride it for a bit with those tires and then swap them out for lighter and tubeless. I'll put the heavy Vee tires on my bike, because it needs tires at this point anyway.

We do mostly trail riding with asphalt greenway and neighborhood mixed in. My son likes to do jumps but he is only about 75lbs so he isn't really going to put a lot of abuse on the tires. I really don't see him needing a heavy casing tire, but bigger knobs than the typical XC tire would be nice.

I think I want to stay in the 2.25"-2.4" width range, but have considered a few 2.6" widths.

I have already looked up the usual suspects. IE:
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    Schwalbe Racing Ray
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    Maxxis Rekon
    Maxxis Aspen
    Continental Cross King
    Vittoria Barzo
    see image

What other tires are out there to consider? Sub 600 grams if possible, but for a more aggressive trail type tire I guess heavier is not really a big deal.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails light tires for kids 27.5-275tires.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    With the riding you do, the Rocket Ron is probably a great option. I wouldn't want them for like adult MTB shredding but the rolling weight will be a welcomed improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I was leaning towards the Rocket Rons, but we now have about 20 miles on the Commencal 27.5 with the Vee Flow Snap tires, and my son actually likes how they look. At first he hated the skin wall sides but now he appears to like them.

I did pull the front tire and weigh it, it was 910 grams. Did not weigh the rear tire.

The tube was 255 grams.

I'm still relatively sure I can pull about 2.4 lbs by going tubeless and 2.25 Rocket Rons, or 2 lbs with tubeless and 2.35 Nobby Nics, but my son wants to keep the heavy tires for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    We do mostly trail riding with asphalt greenway and neighborhood mixed in. My son likes to do jumps but he is only about 75lbs so he isn't really going to put a lot of abuse on the tires. I really don't see him needing a heavy casing tire, but bigger knobs than the typical XC tire would be nice.
    Worth considering that with lower weight you'll be able to run lower pressures tubeless and mine weighs about that and is quite capable of damaging the rim with light XC tyres on jumps and rock gardens.

Dream it, Do it.
    FWIW, other than in mud, the Rocket Ron does pretty well.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...omparison-test
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    I was leaning towards the Rocket Rons, but we now have about 20 miles on the Commencal 27.5 with the Vee Flow Snap tires, and my son actually likes how they look. At first he hated the skin wall sides but now he appears to like them.

I did pull the front tire and weigh it, it was 910 grams. Did not weigh the rear tire.

The tube was 255 grams.

I'm still relatively sure I can pull about 2.4 lbs by going tubeless and 2.25 Rocket Rons, or 2 lbs with tubeless and 2.35 Nobby Nics, but my son wants to keep the heavy tires for now.
    2.4 lbs of rotational weight is going to be a game changer (dang those RR are light at 490g with the Liteskin!!). We have/had those Flap Snap tires on my 8yro kids' Commencal FS 24". They are a bit ridiculous. I save them as a gravity only tire along with the heavy stock wheels. When he swaps to his lighter wheels/tires...its such a HUGE difference in his ability to literally do everything up&down...and he is a pretty decent rider hitting black freeride lines etc. Rotational weight plus the weight at is on the furthest end of the lever is most important. I would drop those heavy tires as fast as possible for the kind of riding you are doing. They look badass on those heavy i30 rims (moto tires!) but once my kid ran them back to back, he wasn't into it at all. It just sucked a bunch of the fun out of it for him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My boy has rocket Ron's on his 26" and they have been really good. My daughter has the Maxxis Rekon on her 27.5" full suspension bike. We are in North Texas and in an area that is very hard on tires. There both light enough that the light tires have not let them down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    FWIW, other than in mud, the Rocket Ron does pretty well.

That is an interesting test you have done there, thanks for the link.

I had figured I would do the Rocket Rons in speedgrip but I have not ordered anything yet. I can put the existing Flow Snap tires on my hardtail, since it needs tires anyway.

My son has 24x2.1 Rocket Rons on his old bike, and he has learned how to deal with the mud, but honestly the Flow Snap tires do so well with traction he has not cared very much during the times I told him we could get lighter tires. We now have about 35-40 miles on the bike in the last 10 days and while riding behind him I can see he sticks in corners where the old bike with Rocket Rons used to slide around. He is also leaning over for corners more now than he used to.

It is kind of hard to tell how much of the performance is from the greater tire grip, and how much is just from the new bike with bigger tire diameter, but I do know if we swap tires and it won't corner like it does now, he is not going to like it as much.

mtbr member
    The 2.25 rr’s come in way over claimed weight at 575 grams just FYI. The 2.1 are close to claimed

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Were the Rocket Rons the Liteskin or the Snakeskin? The Snakeskin are supposed to be 570 grams so 575 doesn't sound too bad? Granted if they were supposed to be 490, then yes, 575 is way off.

I still have not swapped tires, and my son still does not want to change tires. I think if I take my old worn out Kenda Kadre 2.25s, both of which are under 750 grams, and swap them on to let him try it, he will want to change tires after that. This is probably a good coronavirus project.

Anyone tried a Tubolito tube? It looks like it would be an 82 gram tube compared to 250 gram tube. Some reviews are great, some are terrible, it's hard to tell what's what.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    Were the Rocket Rons the Liteskin or the Snakeskin? The Snakeskin are supposed to be 570 grams so 575 doesn't sound too bad? Granted if they were supposed to be 490, then yes, 575 is way off.
    Some weight and size data for the Rocket Ron with the previous-gen Pacestar compound:

Schwalbe Rocket Ron: 27.5” x 2.25 Pacestar compound, Snakeskin casing: Front & Rear

Claimed Weight: 550 g
    Actual Weight: 625 g (avg of 2 tires weighed with range of 610-640g)
    Tire Height: 52 mm
    Casing Width: 57 mm
    Knob Width: 55 mm

Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Liteskins. We only have used that compound. We have them 24x2.1, 26x2.1, 27.5x2.25, and 27.5x2.1

The 27.5x2.25 only measure 2.18 on a 23mm internal rim at 20psi, so just a hair wider than the 2.1, but the volume is still noticeably larger

mtbr member
    And while the liteskins have been good to us, I wouldn’t consider them if you’re not racing xc. It’s just not worth ruining a day of riding for the few grams saved

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I think I am going to try the 2.35" Maxxis Forekasters. They seem like they would be a decent lighter weight option and would work well for our area which is a combo of hard packed and loose/damp with occasional mud. I am also looking at going to a lighter wheel which was recommended / linked in a different post. Combined with wheels I bet they knock off 4.5 lbs of rotating weight.

Anyone have experience with the Forekasters? Are they close to the rated weights?

Better or worse or same as the 2.35" Nobby Nics? We have not used Nobby Nics but I am very happy locally with my Hans Dampf, and Nobby Nic is supposed to be somewhat similar.

He had Rocket Rons on his old bike and the Rocket Rons worked great on hard and asphalt, but did not work well in normal conditions.