Latest kids upper body armor recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Latest kids upper body armor recommendations?

We are looking for some new armor for both my 7yro and 5yro (Mom demands it...and I think she is right after seeing a couple crashes lately).

These seem to be decent options. I've messed with the Dianese kids jacket before. It wasn't bad but Its odd how it doesn't cover their little frog bellies (5yro is still little).

I'm leaning towards the TLD shirt for my oldest. The YM size says it fits a 27" chest and his is about 25.5"...hoping it fits. The Dianese jacket seems to be the only option that includes some chest/gut protection in a very small size for the 5yro. The back plate is pretty dang wide tho. Most of my 5yro crashes are to his chest and arms at the moment.

TLD Protective Shirt:
    https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/7855...-shirt?color=7

Dianese Scarabeo Jacket:
    https://www.dainese.com/us/en/bike/s...efv1=4&start=1

Any other advice?

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    The EVS Comp Suits have been great for us. We've been on the older generation and the outgoing generation. And at over 50% off right now, they're even better.
    https://www.evs-sports.com/collectio...=4472842747945
    The CE version has more sizing options but my kid didn't quite like the feel of the back protection so we're sticking with the non-CE.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kabayan View Post
    The EVS Comp Suits have been great for us. We've been on the older generation and the outgoing generation. And at over 50% off right now, they're even better.
    https://www.evs-sports.com/collectio...=4472842747945
    The CE version has more sizing options but my kid didn't quite like the feel of the back protection so we're sticking with the non-CE.
    Where can I find the sizing information?

Is the padding decent? We don't need the roost/hard shell stuff but ideally some impact absorption (I guess?).

That's a good deal. What do you like about it for MTB? Anything you don't like?

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    I found this link online.
    https://www.revzilla.com/size-charts...uit-size-chart
    From personal experience, I'd say that YS will fit a decent sized 5yo up to a small 8yo.
    We use 'em for BMX racing and downhill and shuttle runs. Not had any crashes on MTB yet but quite a few on BMX.
    One very minor quibble is that ours did not come with the compression belt so on one of the crashes the handlebar was able to get in that area. But besides that, I've been satisfied with them.
    Ice and Han use these all the time.
    https://www.facebook.com/iceandhan/
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is there any decent padding behind the hard plastic on yours? Just wondering what kind of impact these would help with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Leatt looks to have some pretty cool upper body stuff.

https://www.leatt.com/shop/moto/uppe...rotection.html
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks everyone. I just found a local buddy that also bought one of those EVS jackets so I'll be checking that out and sizing it tomorrow.

I double checked Demon United armor and they have some new stuff that is CE rated etc. More importantly they have a Lil Ripper shirt that is padded all around (not CE level which is fine) and is sized for Toddlers from 2 to 5. Pretty sweet looking! The best part is the belly and hips are covered, which is where most of these little guys take a beating...but no one makes pads for that stuff. The front wheel goes sideways and they fall forward and hit a handlebar or whatever all the time. (the little kids around me at least).

Since that Demon set will cover my 5yro...what do you guys think regarding hardpads like the EVS/Roost protectors etc vs soft CE rated pads like demon or thin stuff like TLD Protective shirt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was in the same dilemma and tried the tld padded shirt and it is ok -- still hot and pretty light protection. Then I saw my kid sending it at whistler and realized it wasn't going to cut it. Just got the Leatt fusion protector (chest/shoulder/neck brace). It is pricey but is a serious quality piece. L/XL fits my normal sized 9yo well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Where can I find the sizing information?

Is the padding decent? We don't need the roost/hard shell stuff but ideally some impact absorption (I guess?).

That's a good deal. What do you like about it for MTB? Anything you don't like?
    I ended up with the hard shell Fox Titan stuff.... quite probably a good idea in retrospect with some of the crashes. Its scratched to hell and he's ridden away from some HUGE ones! I've got soft (D30) stuff and it's nowhere near as protective... and I'm not convinced its really that much cooler...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah that Titan jacket is legit. It's hard padded but also CE rated etc. I'm guessing it has some padding in it too under the hard guards. Does he only wear it at the Park or on other rides as well?

Why do you think the D30 stuff isnt as good? I'm not familiar with it personally. Seems like the best heavy duty stuff would be a mix of both, kind of like a helmet.

FWIW I've had my hands on the Leatt fusion 2.0 and tried it on my kid. It's a super impressive piece. I'm sure that will be our next peice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah that Titan jacket is legit. It's hard padded butu also CE rated etc. I'm guessing it has some padding in it too under the hard guards. Does he only wear it at the Park or on other rides as well?

Why do you think the D30 stuff isnt as good? I'm not familiar with it personally. Seems like the best heavy duty stuff would be a mix of both, kind of like a helmet.
    Iíll start with D3O (hardens on impact stuff technically non Newtonian gel) itís really good but my fox launch pro knee pads have got both with hard outer ... as a combo itís amazing Iíve hit rock real hard and felt absolutely nothing

By itself itís pretty good but my jacket is only the d3o stuff and it isnít as good as both ... the Titan has soft underneath and hard outside and heís tested it extensively.. if I had the vids they should pay me for it!!

He usually uses it for bike park stuff ... though in winter itís another layer for riding and in summer heíll undo it for a long ride up or long push

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by heet View Post
    I was in the same dilemma and tried the tld padded shirt and it is ok -- still hot and pretty light protection. Then I saw my kid sending it at whistler and realized it wasn't going to cut it. Just got the Leatt fusion protector (chest/shoulder/neck brace). It is pricey but is a serious quality piece. L/XL fits my normal sized 9yo well.
    Do you think the Leatt Fusion is about the same comfort level as the Fusion 2.0 for non-park days? We dont do a ton of park riding but my youngest is getting old enough for an annual trip to Whistler and a new, kind if mellow park just went in above us. Wondering if I should just cut bait on the lighter stuff like TLD shirt and go only with the Leatt Fusion

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Demon Lil Ripper Top Review

I got my 5yo a Demon Lil Ripper shirt as they come in toddler sizes only. It nearly impossible to find just general protection for young dudes that aren't massive but still ride. His crashes seem to always hit him in the stomach, side of the ribs etc. I looked into the Dianese Scarabeo jacket. It fit well but left his lower bell entirely exposed and is pretty dang expensive for the riding he is doing now. Also the back plate was massive on him, too wide.

This however is a pretty sweet little shirt! It fits great (its the 4-5yro size). I forget how tall my youngest is but he is neither big nor small for his age.

The shirt itself is super light and basically just a thin workout shirt material (good thing). It should breath well enough.

Padding:
    1- Backplate is the right size and width...the whole jacket was designed for little bodies and fits great! Padding is the thickest at the back and .
    2- Chest padded spots are a little thinner than the back, not bad
    3- Shoulders and elbowpads are fairly thin but should do the job. I like the length of the elbow pads. They offer great coverage area. There is even a wrist pad...oddly enough this guy has taken a hit there. There is a bicep pad too. Elbow has a velcro webbing cinch down too.

Smart stuff as younger kids take weird hits that older kids don't. Most of it has to do with a front tire deflect and crossing up the bars then the kid slams into the bars (hits him in the side of his gut) and then his elbow and side and head eventually hit the ground. Nice that this stuff seems to be covered. I do think the elbow pads could have been a little thicker, but we'll have to test it out first.

The padding itself isn't super cheapo foam either and has a contour to it. Its not D30 but it should be helpful. Overall I'm stoked. He is riding with MTB team now and doing some 6-8m shuttles with crashes at times. I'm glad he has at least something to take the sting out. Gummy bears will handle the rest .

Latest kids upper body armor recommendations?-aidanjumpjacket.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Do you think the Leatt Fusion is about the same comfort level as the Fusion 2.0 for non-park days? We dont do a ton of park riding but my youngest is getting old enough for an annual trip to Whistler and a new, kind if mellow park just went in above us. Wondering if I should just cut bait on the lighter stuff like TLD shirt and go only with the Leatt Fusion
    I've got the fusion 2.0, never seen any other version. We are going to Mt Bachelor next wkend I'll try to give a comfort report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've got the fusion 2.0, never seen any other version. We are going to Mt Bachelor next wkend I'll try to give a comfort report.
    Doh...I meant "is the fusion about the same comfort level as the Troy Lee shirt". I think there is just the one fusion.

Are you guys based out of Oregon? We are here in the Gorge

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Doh...I meant "is the fusion about the same comfort level as the Troy Lee shirt". I think there is just the one fusion.

Are you guys based out of Oregon? We are here in the Gorge
    Southern Oregon... It might be more comfortable than the shirt but my kid didn't complain about either yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I had the TLD shirt myself for bmx racing. I just switched to a different armor (atlas guardian) because the TLD was fairly hot,absorbed the sweat too much, and is kinda difficult to put on and off. I may still use it over the winter because it has a little mileage left in in. I have crashed several times with it and it's worked out pretty well in that respect. Verdict is still out on the Atlas Guardian, and I'm not sure they have kids sizes anyway.

My 6 yo has an EVS comp suit, but we're not currently using anything on his upper body because the comp suit would not work with his atlas neck brace. I am thinking about getting a soccer goalie shirt or someone had a roller hockey shirt just for something light and to help with the road rash. Kenny bike gear has nice looking shirts/jackets but they are pricey and I haven't seen them in person. TLD is pricey, too, of course. If I hadn't already bought the neck braces and if I didn't want to have the jersey on top of the armor I would definitely consider the Leatt Fusion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I've got the fusion 2.0
    Can you put a jersey on top of the fusion 2.0 if you unclip the neck brace and work it around or something? It's not that big of a deal, but my boys are on a BMX team and we'd rather have the jersey on top. It would help protect the armor a little too, as funny as that sounds.