Knee/elbow pads for 9yr old daughter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Knee/elbow pads for 9yr old daughter

Daughter had her first crash today, came out with a bloody elbow. Looking for lightweight knee/elbow pads with youth sizes. Has anyone found anything decent?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    G form makes some pretty nice pads in small sizes....kind of depends on what type of riding you're doing though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hit up your local motorsports shop - they've usually got a way better selection of kid sized gear than any bike shop I've ever seen, by far.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    +1 g-form, they are light weight and good protection. If looking for something more for DH, checkout Leatt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    They really don't give the g-form pads away...as expensive as my dh pads. But it will be worth it if it can protect her and keep her interested in the sport. She's just starting out, so just trail riding for now. The motorsport idea is pretty good too, lot of crossover but may be too bulky to pedal in. We shall see.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out some BMX sites too - Danscomp and JRCycles should have a decent selection of race pads for youth sizes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wouldn't use gform - they are not CE rated

Stand back
    The smallest g-form pads are too big for my 9 year old daughter. At the Yeti Beti camp, they had them available for all the girls, and used safety pins to get the xs pads to stay fit, and then they still slid down.
    This is a pretty good over view of what's out there in youth sizes.
    Kids BMX Pads | How to Chose Kids BMX Knee Pads, Shin Guards, & More | XSportsProtective
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    The smallest g-form pads are too big for my 9 year old daughter. At the Yeti Beti camp, they had them available for all the girls, and used safety pins to get the xs pads to stay fit, and then they still slid down.
    This is a pretty good over view of what's out there in youth sizes.
    Kids BMX Pads | How to Chose Kids BMX Knee Pads, Shin Guards, & More | XSportsProtective
    G-form makes an x-small that isn't advertised. I think they stopped making them, but as of this spring they still had some in stock. They're quite small...certainly small enough for a 9yo.

When I spoke with them a few months back, they said they had a new kids pad set coming down the pipeline, and that I should wait.

I'm still waiting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My 7 year old boy uses Razor multi-sport knee and elbow pads. I ordered some Fox Pro Launch Youth knee and elbow pads for my 9 year old. He is really skinny, so I am hoping for a good fit when they come in.
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 27.5
    2018 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie
    2015 GT Sensor AL Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful, never thought of the bmx stores. Gform and the fox launch pads look interesting too. Will try to find them locally for fit.

Stand back
    Nope, not small enough for my daughter, anyway. We tried again with some xs g-forms at a shop in Crested Butte this weekend, and they were too big. If they'd add some velcro straps, maybe she could get them to work.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

high pivot witchcraft
    OP - I bought my daughter Troy Lee Designs knee and elbow pads when she was 11. They weren't cheap, but no more expensive than anything else that was available. I got them at my LBS. I assume you have tried all the LBSs and that they are not available.

I see that in Canada RaceFace Protekt youth armour is available at MEC. That is the old Roach stuff that RaceFace bought. Great stuff. Used it myself for years. $50 for each.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    finding pads for these small kids is ruff. and then if they are too bulky or hot they dont want to wear them.

so i thought outside of the box. i would rather have something than nothing on them so i picked them up for 7 bucks. some long wrist sweat bands. they are thick, flexy, but breathe and comfortable to wear. and they stay on!!!!

i put them on their elbows and knees, works great.

Knee/elbow pads for 9yr old daughter-nike-sweatband-swoosh-doublewide-wristbands-pack-2-pink-neon-green_0044201459000000_1000-1000.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    finding pads for these small kids is ruff. and then if they are too bulky or hot they dont want to wear them.

so i thought outside of the box. i would rather have something than nothing on them so i picked them up for 7 bucks. some long wrist sweat bands. they are thick, flexy, but breathe and comfortable to wear. and they stay on!!!!

i put them on their elbows and knees, works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nike-sweatband-swoosh-doublewide-wristbands-pack-of-2-pink-neon-green_0044201459000000_1000-1000.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	999963
    That's not a bad idea if your kid isn't going all out. Would probably help a lot with abrasions...for cheap.

BTW, the aforementioned G-Form pads I was referring to were the XXS sizes that you had to call the company directly to order. They fit most 4 year olds. I'm going to call and see if they have any more, but they were almost sold out in January, so it's doubtful.

G-Form is releasing a "Kids Line" this month! I suspect this will be the best route for those of us that are willing to spend big bucks...not sure I'm there yet. The knee pads are going to retail at $59/set and the elbow set will be the same. They will also offer a shin pad set for the same price.

It's certainly not a cheap option, but in terms of flexibility, protection, and comfort (willingness to wear for extended periods of time) I'm not sure these can be beat.

Shop Youth | G-Form

From the size chart they provide, it looks like my 4yo will easily fit the s/m sizes.

...but I might just buy some sweat bands!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Agreed! We have done some looking around, but she complained that everything was too hot. May try the sweatband idea, although it looks like the g-forms are pretty breathable so definitely a good option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hi there,

There are also protector sets sold in sport shops for skateboarding, skeeler- and rollerskating. They usually are sold in sets with wrist, elbow and knee-protectors. They come in very small sizes too.

Maybe this helps, although I really like the sweat band idea!

Kind regards,

Clemens

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Leatt do kids 3DF pads

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    G Form are making xxs pads again now. Almost small enough for my very skinny 5 year old. If not any seamstress can take them in in about 1 minute.