Kids MTB database! Finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Kids MTB database! Finally!

Just passing this along. I'm sure its already out of date. But super helpful for possibly isolating a few factors when starting the search for a kids bike. It's pretty awesome when you think just a couple years ago the number of choices were so small. Now there are so many it's difficult to keep track of all the variables within the value proposition and intended riding style.

https://mtbwithkids.com/kids-mountain-bikes-database/

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The time for this was surely a minute ago! So glad to see it exists-- who do we petition to make this a sticky?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There are a lot of bikes that I would recommend that are missing from that list.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    There are a lot of bikes that I would recommend that are missing from that list.
    Namely?

They could do a better job of compiling them in my opinion. But as I hit 'load more', what felt like a million times, there were pretty much every bike that I could remember coming across in the years of obsessing myself with bikes for my lad.

I never did reach the end of the 'load more's'. I just got bored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've swapped messages with the creator of the list and they encourage people to send them omissions. They want to keep the list up to date and plan to maintain it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think rather than omissions, they should compile the list by brand, alphabetically, and then by size within each brand, as a start.

They could also have other search options such as suspension and dual suspension.

An example of this is like when you do a search on Universal Cycles.

Not meaning to knock their database, just meaning to help with ideas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I couldn't get anything to load for me on the 24" mountain bike section, just a blank blue page..

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiore View Post
    I couldn't get anything to load for me on the 24" mountain bike section, just a blank blue page..
    I'm using Chrome Browser and it loads just fine. I'd suggest try a differnt browser-- and maybe check if you have any kind of message showing up on the top right of your address bar ("blocking xyz" kind of message).

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Kids MTB database! Finally!

I really would like a matrix that shows the bikes along with what type of drivetrain, brakes, BB standard, gear ratios, approximate tire size/type, seat height ranges, etc. Twowheelingtots is the closest Iíve found to that but they donít list the information in a useful way.

Edit: just got back to my computer to check out the site. It does a pretty darn good job of sorting like I mentioned. If it had more info about drivetrain, it would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ganginwood
    I appreciate the list. Here's my question or frustration. These bikes, with suspension are 27-30 pounds. Are there options, even just hardtails, that make riding for 5-7 year olds enjoyable?
    My boys can barely lift their bikes off the ground at those weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood View Post
    I appreciate the list. Here's my question or frustration. These bikes, with suspension are 27-30 pounds. Are there options, even just hardtails, that make riding for 5-7 year olds enjoyable?
    There sure are-- at 5-7, I'm guessing 20" wheels at average height-- and if you select "20" for wheelsize and "front" for suspension several options show up below 25lbs. Obvi, they cost more than heavier ones. Also, why even suspension? Unless you're already riding trails, or are planning on riding proper singleTrack reasonably soon...

If you are talking about literally lifting their bikes off the ground-- I'm not even sure that's particularly necessary or easily doable at that age, just given the size of the bikes vs. kids. My son (5) can lift his rear end to turn the thing around, and he can push his (27/8ish lbs) bike up hills and even stairs. That works out just fine.
    OTH, if you're talking about them doing bunnyhops, weight is not the issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood View Post
    Hello and welcome to the first realization of shopping kids bikes. Most of them kinda suck. Many of them are okay-ish. And a few of them are pretty darn awesome. <--- that's also the pricing scale. Once you're done grappling with the price. You'll realize that "really nice $500 bike" you were planning to buy, isn't going to scratch that itch.

Yes there are several under 27lbs. I'm not sure what you mean by "just hardtail". If your expectation is to get a FS bike for under 25lbs. It can be done. Total build cost of about $2k+ for a custom 24" Transition Ripcord or a Trailcraft Maxwell or Norco (for example) For the smaller bikes you'd be looking at a custom Lil Shredder $3k+

20/24 front shock bikes - Flow Bikes, Spawn Bikes, Orbea MX(customized), Lil Shredder, Prevelo, Cleary.

In a simple fully rigid bike in 20/24 - look at the Orbea MX 20/24 lineup.

There are plenty of comparisons and review out there now for kids bikes if you look around a bit.