kids hydro brakes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

kids hydro brakes?

looking to replace the cable actuate mech discs on my kid's 24" with a full hydro setup. i've had him test the reach with my xt8000 levers and i can't get the lever reach short enough where he can comfortably actuate them and still have full function.

can anyone recommend a decent hydro setup with short lever reach?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ideally you want them setup as 1 finger brakes for safety reasons; which makes the lever important as youve experienced. I'm not sure what's ideal. I don't love shimanos last Gen brakes aside from Deores as kids have zero modulation being so light. They often ride a bit slower so it makes it worse when those grab like a dang light switch, there is no bite adjustment either (I have these and Srams). New stuff is pretty awesome but spendy!

That being said, I've heard the Magura Mt2 brakes have a nice lever for kids and are pretty cheap. 2 piston brakes, light and hopefully have Magura power still (I haven't tried them myself but another Dad on here has them for his kid) . I chatted with the owner of Meek Boys bikes (they make 7k$ carbon kids bikes). They said to get the most powerful brake feasible so they could one finger the brakes without fatigue or be tempted to 2 finger. I'd agree, but hard to find that perfect brake and lever combo. Maybe it's magura.

Fwiw SeaOtter is almost here in 3 weeks. I'm guessing we'll see some kids specific stuff, certainly suspension and maybe brakes too. Cost might be the issue however, who knows.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks, i'll check out the magura stuff. it's a start..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Shimano M6000. Easy to reach and work well. That's what is on my oldest's 24 and I'm spec'ing the same as I build his 26 up. You might also look at the M396 which is slightly cheaper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Ideally you want them setup as 1 finger brakes for safety reasons; which makes the lever important as youve experienced. I'm not sure what's ideal. I don't love shimanos last Gen brakes aside from Deores as kids have zero modulation being so light. They often ride a bit slower so it makes it worse when those grab like a dang light switch, there is no bite adjustment either (I have these and Srams). New stuff is pretty awesome but spendy!

That being said, I've heard the Magura Mt2 brakes have a nice lever for kids and are pretty cheap. 2 piston brakes, light and hopefully have Magura power still (I haven't tried them myself but another Dad on here has them for his kid) . I chatted with the owner of Meek Boys bikes (they make 7k$ carbon kids bikes). They said to get the most powerful brake feasible so they could one finger the brakes without fatigue or be tempted to 2 finger. I'd agree, but hard to find that perfect brake and lever combo. Maybe it's magura.

Fwiw SeaOtter is almost here in 3 weeks. I'm guessing we'll see some kids specific stuff, certainly suspension and maybe brakes too. Cost might be the issue however, who knows.
    XT does have bite adjust, it just doesnít work as youíd expect. Most people donít persist as itís not well documented and a real faff but you only need to do it once.

I found a YouTube vid.. it really does work... itís just amazing complex and counter intuitive compared to SRAM reach adjust.

Jnr is the pickiest person I know when it comes to brakes... and to be honest he prefers a lot more modulation than I do ... so heíll probably be a SRAM brake guy later when his hands are 2x the size and I trust him to bleed with DOT fluid.

Meanwhile the Shimano levers are really good .. though I didnít try Magura the SRAM levers would need to be almost mounted on his stem .. his XT levers are about 2cm in from the grips which seems perfect for 1 finger braking

SLX you have to remove the security screw or use a security bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Maybe I need to rethink the XT brakes. I have some as leftovers on the side. I dislike them for myself; but maybe they work good for kids as they can't grab with the strength an adult can? Modulation is fine and all, but the power needs to be there. I have some SRAM Guides and while I like them more than the XT's, their lack of power makes for a more fatigued hand when I'm braking too much (Code RSC's are the best of both worlds for sure). Hand fatigue, I don't want that for my kid. Do the kids get along fine with XT/XTR brakes?

Steve, so I've never faffed with the bite adjust much (it was ok for me by default). What exactly does it do? Can it make the brake bite earlier or just later? Does it make that initial BITE less abrupt, because that would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Maybe I need to rethink the XT brakes. I have some as leftovers on the side. I dislike them for myself; but maybe they work good for kids as they can't grab with the strength an adult can? Modulation is fine and all, but the power needs to be there. I have some SRAM Guides and while I like them more than the XT's, their lack of power makes for a more fatigued hand when I'm braking too much (Code RSC's are the best of both worlds for sure). Hand fatigue, I don't want that for my kid. Do the kids get along fine with XT/XTR brakes?
    I weigh 166# in riding gear but SLX/XT stop me just fine. Iíve got 203/180 on the bigger bikes but Iím not sure I need it ... I just picked up the rotors with a set at some point but really more than enough power. If anything the front felt too much for a while until I got used to it.

However locally we are elevation challenged ... if you watch hardline that would be a long trail for us.. (ignoring its psychopathic severity but same mountains we ride) but I donít feel like Iím putting any real effort into the levers ... mostly Iíd say itís the opposite and Iím aware of not pulling too hard and locking up.

Jnrs Norco is 160/160 and he has the bite almost touching the bar .. I donít like it but it stops me though I havenít ridden a whole trail on it. His big bike has 180/160 but to be honest thatís because I had the rotor and postmount spare from my bikes and sticking on the 203ís.. either way Iíve ridden it a fair bit and it stops me no problem

One thing I tried once was after market pads it felt like no brakes... and my steel HT has aftermarket rotors that are also scary ...

So ... I donít think brake power comes into it at their weight. Itís way more than needed and getting the brake lever right is way more important
    Vid link below ...
    Steve, so I've never faffed with the bite adjust much (it was ok for me by default). What exactly does it do? Can it make the brake bite earlier or just later? Does it make that initial BITE less abrupt, because that would be awesome.
    A bit yes and no in the abrupt... Jnrs have probably got less oil than Iíd have.. itís a pretty fine line and the bite point adjust is part of it.. the vid shows you the how but in reality thatís 2 endpoints so it takes a bit of iteration between the bite point and lever adjust. TBH itís not something I do often so each time I end up watching that vid again (to remind myself) then mess about...

https://youtu.be/D0uSTtDWbI8

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Gotcha, thanks Steve. Sounds like the power is just fine, which is what I want.

I could throw some nice Guides RSC on the kids bike or XT's. I worry the Guides will lead to arm pump as they are not powerful brakes, but the modulation is insane. The XT's are nice but I worry that hard bite may lead to a crash or getting loose accidentally.

Which do you think I should go with?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I donít think power is an issue either way .. brakes are one of those personal things and my kid has different preferences to mine. (I thought of DNA testing but )

I like the short Shimano levers but Iím as equally biased by having a single bleed kit and spare set of pads. (Especially weekends) ... TBH I donít see why the Guides wouldnít stop a kid but we never had any issue with the Shimano bite. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guides are plenty powerful. If they feel like they aren't something is messed up. I have them on my bike now and they stop my 190 lbs very well. I live in the mountains too so they get a workout. I do use 203mm rotors on all my stuff. I don't think they lack for power compared to anything else in their weight class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I run the cheap Shimano M315 on both my sons 24", 26", and my SS 29er. I have yet to have a complaint. The reach is adjustable and the stopping power is better than any V Brake on the market or the old canti's i grew up on. Kool stop pads make a big difference when the first set wears out.

Clint

mtbr member
    Just built this bike with Guide RS that I had sitting around. They work awesome. The reach is perfect when adjusted all the way in.