Kids DJ- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Kids DJ

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163

    Kids DJ

    Any advice on a kids DJ sizing? Getting some conflicting advice. Will use it for jump lines more than skate park. Kid is an a slightly shorter than average 8 year old.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by nwa bike dad View Post
    Any advice on a kids DJ sizing? Getting some conflicting advice. Will use it for jump lines more than skate park. Kid is an a slightly shorter than average 8 year old.
    I can only speak from personal experience of my kid, which isn't scientific at all:

    He started riding seriously on a 24" MTB at 8 years old. I then bought him a BMX after reading this board for a bit and to allow us to extend riding opportunities during rainy periods. Now 11 years old, he likes his BMX well enough and likes to jib on it, but he's more comfortable going big (Cease and Desist or Gregory Park size) on his MTB (now on an XS Giant 27.5").


    We just recently purchased a large DJ (It was really for me to use at pumptracks), and he likes the feel of it because he's more comfortable on his MTB than on his BMX and the DJ (for him) feels more like an MTB, even though it's technically too big for him.

    There's a good deal on a p3 on NWA Bicycle Trader right now if you haven't already seen it.

  3. #3
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    Um, 20" BMX. Done.

    -Walt

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Um, 20" BMX. Done.

    -Walt
    We have BMX bikes. Looking for something a little different. Spawn lists the min height for the 24" at 50 inches. My son is 52 inches. But I know some of the young guys (Harry Schofield and Jackson Goldstone ride 20" Kotoris) and they are 8 and 12.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Iirc you have a 20 Yama Jama like we do. We are moving to a 24" FS and I'm considering taking the 20" YJ and throwing some highrise bmx bars on it, DJ tires, lot of psi in the fork and trying that as a send-it bike for dirt Jump lines (we have a 16" bmx too).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Iirc you have a 20 Yama Jama like we do. We are moving to a 24" FS and I'm considering taking the 20" YJ and throwing some highrise bmx bars on it, DJ tires, lot of psi in the fork and trying that as a send-it bike for dirt Jump lines (we have a 16" bmx too).
    Good memory. He actually has a 24" YJ.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    264
    I know you indicated, you have 20" BMX... Not to be smartass, but can he jump on it. If no, I recommend stay with the 20" until they are skilled on it.. IMO, faster progression with skill.

    Also, not all bmx 20" geos are the same.. general bmx, bmx race, bmx dirt and bmx street/park...


    If he knows how to ride and jump... you could w/ spawn even though your son is 52 inches... you may need change bars with higher riser and increase stem by 10mm.

    Other option, NSbikes Clash Jr is larger or you can check blackmarket bikes "lil monster 24" (multiple sizes and frame only option). My kid was on Clash Jr until 5'2"

    Morpheus Vimana Jr is another sik kids DJ
    https://www.morpheusbikes.com/k-i-d-s

    If he has skill... he should be able to handle larger frame, just harder for him to do spin tricks.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    I know you indicated, you have 20" BMX... Not to be smartass, but can he jump on it. If no, I recommend stay with the 20" until they are skilled on it.. IMO, faster progression with skill.

    Also, not all bmx 20" geos are the same.. general bmx, bmx race, bmx dirt and bmx street/park...


    If he knows how to ride and jump... you could w/ spawn even though your son is 52 inches... you may need change bars with higher riser and increase stem by 10mm.

    Other option, NSbikes Clash Jr is larger or you can check blackmarket bikes "lil monster 24" (multiple sizes and frame only option). My kid was on Clash Jr until 5'2"

    Morpheus Vimana Jr is another sik kids DJ
    https://www.morpheusbikes.com/k-i-d-s

    If he has skill... he should be able to handle larger frame, just harder for him to do spin tricks.
    That is a sick bike! Yeah, he can jump pretty well. He does BMX, both race and park stuff. We have some really cool dirt jump parks (check out The Railyard in Rogers, AR.)

    We went ahead and got the 24" Kotori frame. It was on a steep discount and we can build it up from there.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    264
    Nice... looking forward to the final build. I have set 24" mtx33 w/ pro hope 4 hubs in great shape. if you are looking for wheelset. They where orginally on my kid's Clash Jr. Send me IM if interested.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Everything ordered... I am realizing this may not feel totally like a DJ for a couple of years. The 24" Kotori frame is awesome but to really get the DJ feel he probably needed the 20" frame as his size. That being said everything is ordered. This will be our first real build.

    24" Kotori Frame
    RockShox Reba Fork 100mm
    Trailcraft Cranks (Gonna probably trade these out on the Spawn)
    RaceFace Riser Handlebar
    MTX33 24" Wheels
    Hope Pro 4 Hubs
    New Hayes kids brakes

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Got all of the parts except the wheels and hubs (found them from a poster on here!)

    RockShox Reba 100mm fork
    Hayes A2 Brake kit
    MTX33 wheelset
    Hope Pro 4 hubs

    Start the build on Thur.. Will be our first build together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kids DJ-kotori.jpg  

    Kids DJ-parts.jpg  


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Bro thats a pretty nice build lol. Hayes brakes and hope hubs! Fun stuff man.

    Hey what is that saddle? Is it super light by chance? I need something really light and small in black.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Bro thats a pretty nice build lol. Hayes brakes and hope hubs! Fun stuff man.

    Hey what is that saddle? Is it super light by chance? I need something really light and small in black.
    Tioga D-Spyder. It is 145g
    They sell in black and green. Its on sale rt now at a few places. It is carbonite composite shell. Plus it was green which was most important for the little guy.

    There was a guy on here who sold me the wheels and hubs! Great get there!

    Yeah, we probably got carried away, which from the looks on here, is pretty easy to do. It's a DJ so probably could have spec'd down a few of the components but what fun is that! It is our first build so I will put up some pics of progress!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,565
    I think the non-pivotal Spyders are a bit heavier.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Got it. Thanks slap head. Yea the chromo rails one is 175g. Still nice tho. Only like 127mm wide or something like that. Seems about right

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I think the non-pivotal Spyders are a bit heavier.
    I am sure I will be on here thur night because we forgot something or something didn't work correctly. Make sure you guys are on call !!!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by nwa bike dad View Post
    I am sure I will be on here thur night because we forgot something or something didn't work correctly. Make sure you guys are on call !!!!


    I don't see a seatpost in that pile or on the list...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    600
    I have a D-Spyder on my BMX bike... OK for something where you're standing up pretty much all the time, but I wouldn't want to ride sitting on it very far.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post


    I don't see a seatpost in that pile or on the list...
    We went with the seatpost that spawn sells. Good call. I am 100% certain we will have forgotten something though!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Done! Well mostly. Have some modifications on the brakes. And we may still swap out the Trailcraft cranks for the MTB. Hoping the Railyard is open tomorrow!Kids DJ-img_3920.jpgKids DJ-img_3925.jpgKids DJ-img_3927.jpgKids DJ-img_3935.jpg

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2
    Bike turned out nice. Are those RF Chesterís for the pedals.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by antinoname View Post
    Bike turned out nice. Are those RF Chesterís for the pedals.
    Yes they are.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    264
    the build came out nice. I am glad the wheels worked out.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    the build came out nice. I am glad the wheels worked out.
    They are great. And the hubs are so nice. I know its a total luxury but the bike is so ba and the fact that he built it really gives him a different level of ownership. He has a pump track race this weekend. Thanks for the help on here!

Similar Threads

  1. wicked good deal on kids push bike kids woot
    By MattyBoyR6 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
  2. B-day Idea for kids and big kids..
    By SKULLY in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.