Kids DH bike needs a diet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Kids DH bike needs a diet

So this story starts out with a deal- I got my wife a Scott Voltage and my son a Norco B Line pretty cheap. They're both well used, but solid. Now the boy won't be on the B Line any time soon, so I have some time to shave some weight. Currently it sits at 35# and it's noticeable around the pump track and such. That's the con. The pro is thing should plow some DH lines. It's beef, 100% beef.
    Obvious places to save weight are: tires, wheels, coil shock, fork and brakes. It's all 2011 spec. My kid is on the lighter side, so I shouldn't have to build this thing to heavy. The frame (and probably the fork) will stay, the rest (if I can figure out a reasonable budget) can be put aside. Off the top of my head:
    1) air shock to replace the coil that he'll unlikely get to budge anyway
    2) wheels- I bought some K Fun wheels out of China for his 20" in order to get disc hubs. I'm happy with them.
    3) tires- I don't know yet.
    4) brakes- $30 for shimano deore seems reasonable
    5) bar/stem- I'll dig through my parts bin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    carbon handlebars, lighter stem (Renthal or Wren), and lighter alloy cranks... tubeless wheel set-up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    24 Maxxis DHF EXO is a decent balance of casing stability for a lightweight rider and reasonable weight. and tubeless ready for more weight savings and puncture protection.
    IS it going to be a DH bike or is it going to be pedaled as well?

Deore are decent brakes, but not light, are you sure theyd re lighter than the current ones?
    Lightweight rotors is another option to save some weight.

ESI grips are comfort and very light, but they do rip fairly easily..

Lightweight seatpost, Id go alloy, since its going to be so short, most of the weight is in the head, not the tube, so carbon wont save much weight.

Trailcraft or other short and length weight cranks/bottom bracket.

1x drivetrain. Lightweight bashguard. Lightweight cassette. If its DH only, a roadbike cassette is cheap and light. Short cage rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    24 Maxxis DHF EXO is a decent balance of casing stability for a lightweight rider and reasonable weight. and tubeless ready for more weight savings and puncture protection.
    IS it going to be a DH bike or is it going to be pedaled as well?

Deore are decent brakes, but not light, are you sure theyd re lighter than the current ones?
    Lightweight rotors is another option to save some weight.
    Im pretty sure Jnrs fluid came with those... no way to do 1 finger braking... even for an adult. I stuck them on my hardtail i use mainly for jumps but even with new pads and a bleed they were pretty terrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Im pretty sure Jnrs fluid came with those... no way to do 1 finger braking... even for an adult. I stuck them on my hardtail i use mainly for jumps but even with new pads and a bleed they were pretty terrible.
    You couldn't adjust the lever closer to the grip on those Deores? Are they old?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    You couldn't adjust the lever closer to the grip on those Deores? Are they old?
    Ugggh Sorry, answering from mobile devices. Didn't quote the right thing.
    Sorry, it didn't come with Deore's ... (Its a 2015 frame) rather the 445's or something.
    They were wound in for kids but to even do 1 finger they would need to be mounted nearly down by the stem but they didn't really stop all that well either.

I put them on the DJ hard tail and stuck on some 685/785 on the kids Norco

the very soft hex bolt seized completely in one but even on the HT with 180mm rotors braking was not that good even after I wasted some money on new pads. (I only weigh 73kg/162lbs)

The new Deore's would be a significant upgrade... last time i checked they were on sale at CRC to the point the cost was barely more than a new hydraulic hose and pads