Kids bike repair + advice on mens bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Kids bike repair + advice on mens bike

So, I need some advice/help. Last summer I ran over my son's bike (he parked it in a bad spot) and picked up an older Specialized Hotrock 20" 7 Speed bike on Craigslist for $40 with a bad back tube. We replaced the tube and he rode it all summer and into the fall.

Well this spring, couple weeks ago, the back tire was flat so I had it out in front of the garage to go get air in it. I was already intending to take it up to have it "tuned", but was waiting until next month due to finances. Some kid either really late at night, or very early in the morning, moved it to the side of my garage and proceeded to take the front tire off, completely fubar the front caliper, ruin the front tube, and destroyed the valve stem (the rubber part not the internal stem) on the rear tire. I was then told the chain needs replaced (which I already had thought) and the chain guides (guards?) are bad as well.

The list of what is wrong could go on, seriously, if we include the tear in the seat (was there when we bought it) and supposedly the pedals are wore out.

Where I'm at now is I've decided it's time for my 7yo son to learn how to fix his bike. I can get take off tubes at a local bike shop for around $2.50 each. We only owe the current shop $5.

I'm looking into options to fix the chain and front brakes first. I'm actually considering Disc brakes for him if it can be affordable enough.

The second part of this is I have been looking for a bike for myself. I'm not even sure how to find my size (believe it's 24", but not sure). Realistically I can't afford new because I would rather spend "$xxxx" on a quality used bike than the same amount on a walmart bike (walmart should give an idea on budget).

What I'm looking for is what brand/frames/models would be best to look for used? I know all the components can be replaced so I'm not as concerned about that as I am about the frame itself.

Thanks in advance.

Enthusiast
    Don't even think about disc brakes if budget is an issue. Fix or replace the front caliper instead. How exactly is it messed up? There's not much to those, really. Are you certain it's not possible to just reassemble it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Forget discs.

Sounds likely that all the current bike needs is to have some wear parts replaced and a little love and elbow grease applied.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I'd make a bet the kid took it apart, completely apart, and couldn't get it back together right. I did it, you did it, every bike loving kid did it. Just have to put it back together wrong a couple time till you get it right. My only advise is buy some bearings off amazon. Get the big bag that has all the different sizes, because kids will loose them if they ever try to take the fork or bottom bracket apart. They'll also have the extras for when they want to tackle the hubs. And youtube videos never hurt.

If you have a local bike co-op or if your bike shop has an open shop night, go for it. Otherwise, just tear into it. From your description of the kids bike, he can't do much to hurt it.

Also, never use a screwdriver to remove a tire. park tools tire levers cost less than $3 for a 3-pack.

For new bikes for you, just look for a bike that you like. Without knowing your budget, what you have available, or what you plan on riding, almost impossible to give advise. and personally, don't be afraid of the walmart/target bikes. They're not great, but if you find one for $20, buy it, learn to fix it, and ride it. It'll make you feel a lot better about messing up when fixing a $20 bike than a $500 bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lstevens76 View Post
    The second part of this is I have been looking for a bike for myself. I'm not even sure how to find my size (believe it's 24", but not sure). Realistically I can't afford new because I would rather spend "$xxxx" on a quality used bike than the same amount on a walmart bike (walmart should give an idea on budget).
    24" frame bikes are huge. I'm 6'5", and ride a 21" frame mountain bike (sometimes 23"). How tall are you, and what is your inseam. And everybody is differrent in what they like in "bike feel", and different riding styles deserve different bike sizes.