Thread: kid trailers?

Got rocks?

kid trailers?

So I am looking into kids trailers. I don't want to break the bank and want something that can go offload too. I was looking at the Burley bee with maybe the 16+ tire kit. I have a thru axle on my bike and looks like they make a replacement for it. But what other options might I have? I only plan on dirt roads and stuff but those small tires don't look like they would give much for that. I only plan to pull it with my Mojo 3 and we don't have much for bike paths here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have the Cougar, it has a leaf spring style suspension. i have ridden some very smooth fire roads towing my boy, but anything more than that and he complained about the speed and bumps. one other thing is the tires (even on the road) kick up a ton of stuff in their face so you are pretty much forced to run the rain cover. our trailer really only sees road duty at this point with the 6 month old in it.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don't know how old your kid is but the WeeHoo I-Go Blast trailers look pretty cool. One wheel means it won't get bucked side to side and less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the only Singletrack capable one is the tout-terrain single trailer. But it does break the bank. Choose your poison

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Have you looked at the Mac Ride as an alternative to a trailer? We always used the Chariot/Thule offroad as we lived on a dirt road but you can't take it on singletrack.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have taken my kids on singletrack with my Chariot (thule) Cougar 2. I think the Cougar 1 would be even better choice for a single kid. You can find them used for a good price. The newer Thules are much more expensive but come with a few advantages. A better wheel design which help prevent the wheels from contacting the frame when too much downward force is applied. (Usually do to heavy weight of the rider(s)).
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bettybike View Post
    Have you looked at the Mac Ride as an alternative to a trailer? We always used the Chariot/Thule offroad as we lived on a dirt road but you can't take it on singletrack.
    That mac ride thing looks dangerous as hell. I'm not a fan of forward riding kids seats on a mountain bike. So many things could cause the bike to flip forward. Another alternative to a trailer is a trail-a-bike. Which I also used when my kids were old enough to pedal on their own. On tame (or even bumpy) single track it works surprisingly well. Be prepared to tow the weight of the bike and your kid though, because my kids don't bother to pedal.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Let's keep our singletrack single by keeping trailers on double-track and fireroads. I hope that was a typo and you don't actually take a 2 wheel trailer on SINGLEtrack.