Kickstands- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kickstands

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012

Kickstands

Does everyone take the kickstands off thier childs bike or am I just crazy to think they are a hazard?

turtles make me hot
    Take it off.
    My wife flips out when I do that, but there's no reason to drag it around or risk getting hurt by it.
    My wife's Cannondale has this stupid clamp on kickstand on the left chainstay that drive me nuts. She refuses to let me take it off.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My wife thinks it's crazy that nice bikes don't come with kickstands. Of course it doesn't help that they don't come with pedals too, because that weakens my argument that you don't need the kickstand. My daughters have a hard time anticipating when the wind is going to blow the bike over with the kickstand, or when the ground is too steep to use the kickstand successfully.

What do you train your kids to do with the bike, when they don't have a kickstand?

Do you just train them to lay it down on the non-drive side so that it doesn't fall because it's already down?

turtles make me hot
    I taught my son when he was 5 to lay the bike on the non drive side.
    He's 10 now. He's great about it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I was contemplating putting one on my daughters Giant. Why are they a hazard?

turtles make me hot
    It's a big, pointed thing that can open or get caught. I guess it's one thing for an errand bike or beach cruiser, but we ride in the woods.

I even took the one off that came on my Dahon folder.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I taught my son when he was 5 to lay the bike on the non drive side.
    He's 10 now. He's great about it.
    Same with my daughters, they KNOW to lay it down on NDS, only took a few reminders and now they always remember.
    Early on, when they would ask for baskets and kickstands, I instilled in them that racing bikes don't need those things and they would have an easier time climbing hills without.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The problem I'm seeing with the kickstands, is that they don't know whey it is not going to work. So the bike blows over or falls over from a hill. I think they'll set them down more gently than they might fall down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Okay teaching her to lay it down gently gear side up turned out to be easier than I had thought!

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    What do you train your kids to do with the bike, when they don't have a kickstand?

Do you just train them to lay it down on the non-drive side so that it doesn't fall because it's already down?
    Bingo. That's exactly what I did.

Kids bikes are heavy enough - I take the kickstands off.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

turtles make me hot
    I was just reading my first reply to this thread. We no longer have that Cannondale. Now, my wife rides a Salsa Spearfish. It's a full suspension 29er. When I built that bike, I certainly did NOT put a kickstand on it... There's no place to put one. Of course, she wanted to to know why.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Never understood kickstands. I never liked them, even as a kid. I never have trouble finding a place to lean my bike. Or just lay it down on the non-drive side in the grass.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm storing our bikes inside the apartment, at the moment (on the balcony, when it's guaranteed not to rain)... I use the kickstands on the left chainstay to keep the bikes up and out of the way. I guess apartment living negates grass to lay them down on.

turtles make me hot
    I just came from delivering a bike I built for my friend's wife. After her first test spin, she comes back, jumps off and asked where's the kickstand??
    I was like... Really?

So, aside from a little longer stem, I'll be installing a kickstand.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My wife is still complains about the hotrocks not having a kickstand. Meanwhile, my youngest daughter is really good about laying down the bike nicely on the non-drive side, even on the bike that has a kickstand. It's a nice shortcut that she appreciates.

Members who have read this thread: 0