"JR" sized bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

"JR" sized bikes?

What's currently the best bang for the buck in an (adults) XS 27.5? FS or HT Trail bike. Ideally, $2k-ish or less.

I need the bike to be a swiss army knife. Able to race XC well. Able to help a bit going downhills and handle well. Ideas?

Theyre coming off of tricked out Spawn Yama Jamas which have been great for most of our riding. But it's time to take things up a notch. I'm still several months out from the purchase. But I want to get a better feel for options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey bud, I dug into this a bit at one point. This is what you want man. Good luck buying two of those.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2482399/

On a side note, the key with that Norco bike is that it not only goes down to a very nice, ladies XS (looks badass!) but that Norco is one of the very few companies that shrinks their chainstays with their bikes. This makes it much more manageable imo.

Also their suspension setup is pretty nice and efficient. The sight is a sick bike.

Nevertheless, unless you own a tech company down there, that's prob out of your range. My wife rides a Liv Embolden 2 that is OK. It was the first ladies FS bike that was really affordable at the time. 1300$ for 120mm of travel. It's not perfext tho. The suspension design isn't amazing and the seat tube has a kink in it that limits dropper sizes (tho that is getting better with new droppers).

Also, def checkout the Calibre Bossnut ladies version. I have their DJ bike and it was an INSANE value. Better than 1100$ Spesh P. Slope and only 600$. The ladies Bossnut has had great reviews and would fit your needs and be about as expensive as the Yama Jama. Shipping is free and I think they have a sale right now. No duty charges etc. Around 1200$ I think. Cool company. You can chat with them a lot via Facebook. Not sure if they do an XS however and haven't looked deep into their geo.

Rocky Mountain Reaper is cool bike maybe in 27.5. Commencal Clash Jr 27.5 looks cool too.

I like the idea of extra travel for kids. My pro freeride buddy whose wife is exceptional really loved moving from a Transition Scout to a Patrol. She said the extra gives her so much more confidence on sketchy terrain. Plus, I can't imagine lightweight kids getting much, if any efficiency penalty due to their low weight (there isn't going to be much pedal bob). If I was buying a 27.5 for me, I'd want a 140mm-ish bike for sure. I ride it in my 29er and it pedals so damn well I'd never go with less. Just my. 02. Your XC stuff may dictate a more specific need but for a Swiss army knife, I think it's not a bad look. Man I love that Sight there. I'd buy that for my 7yro if he was older/bigger in a heart beat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the tips and possibly preventing me from buying 2 of these:
    https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-...#geometry-link

They run a program for NICA kids with a very nice discount. But it's still one of those "holeee! What?!?! OUCH! That's a lot of dough man!...ok fine. Put them in the car. Don't tell your mom. " kind of moment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Thanks for the tips and possibly preventing me from buying 2 of these:
    https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-...#geometry-link

They run a program for NICA kids with a very nice discount. But it's still one of those "holeee! What?!?! OUCH! That's a lot of dough man!...ok fine. Put them in the car. Don't tell your mom. " kind of moment.
    Have you checked out the Whyte bikes?
    https://www.whyteusa.bike/collection...ts/t-130-sr-19

Not sure if you need a women's xs, but they have the xs in stock. Crazy sick bike for the money. They have won all sorts of top awards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Nice bike but 140mm travel is far more weight and squish than I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think I may have found something...
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/neu...ron-al-6-0-wmn

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Those look pretty nice. I wonder if they can sell those stateside with no duty.

Fwiw this isn't bad at all: Santa Cruz 5010. Similar geo despite being a small. You could shrink down the cockpit a touch with a short stem and probably have a modern bike.
    https://www.evo.com/mountain/santa-c...-complete-bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Canyon is a worldwide direct to consumer brand. Think of it the same as YT. That bike I linked is available via their US site. The 5010 weighs a bit more & doesn't come in an XS. I'm a Santa Cruz fanboy. I have one. But they don't make anything remotely close for kids. Even the XS Juliana is a boat anchor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The more I poke around, the better than Canyon bike looks! (I do still love that tricked out carbon Ladies Sight tho!)

Question, how tall are your girls? I'm just wonder at what height do you move a kid from 24" to 27.5. (I'm still trying to figure out our 24" bike).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Good question. I haven't measured them yet. Just eyballing stuff and trying to forecast.
    My thought process is to max out their 24" bikes and make the leap to a 27.5. A buddy of mine took his kid from a 24" to an XS 27.5 over the summer and the leap wasn't too bad. Bike handling suffered a little bit. But he's way faster across the ground than with his 24".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trailcraft makes a Maxwell 26+ model, but I don't think it's on their website yet. Spec/weight-wise it sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly... pricepoint however is another matter. Reasonably decked out it's over your budget... a fair amount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If we end up going with 26 wheels, they will have Maxwell's for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    If we end up going with 26 wheels, they will have Maxwell's for sure.
    Why not go with the Neutron and then build some Stan's Crest MK3 26" wheels while shortening the cranks? Geo between a good XS and a Maxwell 26" isn't that far off if I recall correctly.

Too Much Fun

Also looking for a Jr 26" or 27.5"...

I'm also in the hunt. My 10year old is on a 24" Trek hardtail and is pushing beyond it.

This is a useful list, though some like the Trek Fuel EX Jr are no longer available in the USA. My 16yr old is on one of those and it is a great bike. Bummed it's not available https://rascalrides.com/xs-mountain-...-small-ladies/

The Commencal Supreme Jr has my attention too.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After a great deal of searching and weighing up the pros and cons we ended up going from a 24" Norco fluid dually to a 27.5" Specialized Ryhme in size XS. Son was 8 at the time. He is now 9 and 1.42m tall. It actually fits him really well. The suspension has been retuned to suit his weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Silva how big was your kid when you went to the Rhym

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I ended up with a XS Rocky Mountain Soul 10 for my daughter who is 4'7", but I suspect will grow a lot soon. It's an interesting bike. 27.5" and a 1x with a SunRace 11-40T cassette. Altus-level components for ~$700 CAD

Soul | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That's a slick looking rig. Only big issue I see that would rule it out for us would be the standover. Even the XXS has a 30" SH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    He was 134cm tall and 25kg when he started riding his Rhyme. When he was pushing it around it looked huge but when he was riding it he looked ok. We did change the cranks to 150mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by silvascape View Post
    He was 134cm tall and 25kg when he started riding his Rhyme. When he was pushing it around it looked huge but when he was riding it he looked ok. We did change the cranks to 150mm.
    Oh wow! Man, that sounds big. Do you have any pics of him riding it around that time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It was big when he got it. He rode both his 24" Norco and the 27.5" Rhyme for a while.
    We moved him over on several coaches advice - he just needed more suspension - the 100mm on his Norco could not handle the drops and jumps he was doing. Fantastic little bike though.

The below photo shows stand over when he got it. Just flat feet on the ground. It also shows how short in the top tube the bike is - that's a 25kg skinny little kid
    "JR" sized bikes?-img_0153.jpg

here are a couple of side on photos of him riding it
    "JR" sized bikes?-img_1213.jpg

"JR" sized bikes?-img_1295.jpg
    They are a bit more recent so maybe when he was 138 cm tall. Oh and yes the bars have been cut down and he does hold the inside of the grips. He likes them like that. When we put narrower bars with shorter grips on he didn't like it even through his hands were the same distance apart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    lol lord, he is dropping verticlal off that rock. Holy cow.

Well, so my kid is 51in (129cm) now and we are looking for a bike. Definitely want more than 100mm (I don't think there is much pedal penalty from 100mm to 140mm when talking to some others; due to kids low weight not causing much pedal bob). I'm looking for 130 to 140mm and there are some new options with fancy suspension coming in 24" package. I think we'll have to go that route, especially since little brother is a couple years back too. But its interesting to see when kids move off that to something else. Thanks a bunch of the pics and everything else. It def helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post
    I ended up with a XS Rocky Mountain Soul 10 for my daughter who is 4'7", but I suspect will grow a lot soon. It's an interesting bike. 27.5" and a 1x with a SunRace 11-40T cassette. Altus-level components for ~$700 CAD

Soul | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    How is she liking the bike?

I'm looking at 27.5 options for my similar sized daughter - she's currently on a 24" MEC Ace Ltd but will probably be ready to move up to something bigger next year.

How long are the cranks?

What is the chain ring bolt pattern? Almost looks like 76mm XX1?

Do you know the weight of the bike?

I saw on another thread there were some chain drop/slap issues - did you work them out?