Issi Thump pedals anybody?- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Issi Thump pedals anybody?

I've been all over the kids pedal threads but want to specifically ask if anyone is using the Thump (small) pedals for their kid.

I'd buy right now but my only concern is the 113mm length. My son is a 3.5 in Vans shoes (and on a new 24'' mtb) and his current bmx pedals are not nearly that long (around 90mmx90-ish), and these pedals (the Thumps) are marketed for adults up to around size 42 shoe. I may be overthinking this whole thing though b/c the Chromag Radar seem really small on paper for someone his size. The width of the Thumps seems perfect at 95mm.

I like the adjustable pins as this will be his first time on pinned flats so we can start short if needed and the price is right compared to Radar/Spoon 90's etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There were a few comments in the platform pedals thread on the Thumps recently:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...l#post14327569

I'm not sure that a pedal can be too long, at least not if you have a more mid-foot pedal position.

The only issue I saw with the nylon pinned version of the Thump was that it's supposed to be somewhat concave, which I'm not sure works as well for a mid-foot position.

On the version you're looking at with steel pins, you could always use longer pins near the middle if you wanted a flatter surface.

EDR
    Interesting. I did see that discussion regarding foot and pedal position as related to a flatter or concave pedal. Honestly just kind of blew through it as I was simply looking for some good pedals for my kid and not a scientific paper, lol.

Those wellgo kc015's might be safer choice however they don't have adjustable pins (although they don't look too aggressive so that's good) and just from looking at them they seem to have a long spindle...high q-factor? No idea if a quarter inch really makes any difference to a 10 year old. But my son is super short, always the shortest one in the room.

EDR
    As to the idea of leaving the middle pins higher to help make the pedal flatter, I'm not sure that would really work in practice. On a waffle patterned sole of Vans sneakers I don't think you're actually standing on the pins. They simply insert their way into the waffle pattern a certain amount of distance but it's not like your surfing on the pins if that makes sense. You're still standing on the platform. Just with varying degrees of grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Looks like the DMR V6, only more expensive. The DMR has been working great for my kids for 2 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Looks like the DMR V6, only more expensive.
    The Issi Thumps have sealed bearings though, the DMR V6'sjust have non-servicable bushings that don't spin all that freely. And the slightly smaller size is pretty cool.

That said, for $25 on amazon, the V6's are a fine value. I have a pair on my "around town" gravel bike and have considered putting a pair on my DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for pointing that out. One set of DMRs I got does not spin nearly as freely as another. If the thumps came in green, I'd probably order a set to replace that pair.

EDR
    I ordered the thumps last night. They are smallish, but large enough that he can use these across several bikes for many years to come. At least that's how I justified the $50 price tag, lol.

I can't even find him any proper mountain bike shoes. 5 tens come in little kids sizes up to like size 3 and then go to adult size. Hopefully the adjustable pins and some DC skate shoes will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    5 tens come in little kids sizes up to like size 3 and then go to adult size. Hopefully the adjustable pins and some DC skate shoes will do the trick.
    The five tens actually go up to sz 5 in the kids shoes. After that, hopefully he could move to the adult sizes. The smaller women's sizes are also an option if he's not one who minds the colors.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadiaPNW View Post
    The five tens actually go up to sz 5 in the kids shoes. After that, hopefully he could move to the adult sizes. The smaller women's sizes are also an option if he's not one who minds the colors.
    If you can find me a link to five ten freeriders in size 3 and 1/2 or 4 I'd be hugely grateful. Even on their website they don't list those sizes. I think they do make women's size 5 which might work but those are $100 versus 50. And nobody locally stocks that size in women's for my son to try on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    If you can find me a link to five ten freeriders in size 3 and 1/2 or 4 I'd be hugely grateful. Even on their website they don't list those sizes.
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you once my kid grows out of his current sz 3Y Freerider VCS pair.

I'm 95% sure that on their website, they only list what is in stock and that I had seen sizes up to 5 there in the past. On the adidas/fiveten website, if you click on "select size" for the freerider vcs and then "size out of stock?", they list sizes all the way up to a 7.

That said, I have no idea is that's a legit list of sizes and I sure don't see anything over sz 3 available anywhere on the internet right now.

I think they do make women's size 5 which might work but those are $100 versus 50. And nobody locally stocks that size in women's for my son to try on.
    Zappos and even Adidas/fiveten have free shipping and free returns. So that might be worth a shot. The definitely do make the women's freerider down to a ladies 5 size. According to rando internet sites, a 3.5Y size is equivalent to a 5-5.5W shoe. No idea how accurate this is, but worth a try. I also see the women's shoes on sale/clearance far more often than the mens, so there are deals out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issi Thump pedals anybody?-screen-shot-2019-10-20-8.55.03-am.jpg  

Last edited by CascadiaPNW; 10-20-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typos

~~~~~~~~
    The 5-10 availability has been pretty weak for quite a while now. Good for Ride Concepts, I like the looks of them and plan to get the wildcat for him. Our boy is in 2.5 freeriders now, went from too big to perfect in less than six months, size 1 before that and they almost made it a year. My wife found a pair of freerider vxi in 3.5 on sale somewhere but I don't see how he'll be able to walk uphill in those due to the smooth under the pedal section of the sole.
    https://rideconcepts.com/collections...jumping-series

EDR
    RC shoes look great, all except for the price lol. $100 for a shoe that my kid will outgrow in months aint gonna happen. Ya, I spent nearly $150 for my shoes but they will last many years.

I ordered some DC Pure skate shoes on sale for $25. Not ideal but it'll have to do until I find some 3.5 5 10's or RC on major sale. I'll check ebay for good used as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Honestly, I think skate shoes do fine for kids. That's pretty much what the Freeriders are anyway, just with stickier rubber and a bit stiffer soles. I just prefer the Freerider VCS because there's no laces to worry about and they are tougher than a lot of skate shoes. That said, at these ages, kids are outgrowing before they are destroying most shoes. At least that's the way it is around my house.

EDR
    We got the DC skate shoes yesterday. They'll be fine. The soles are flexy compared to a proper mountain bike shoe but they do have a very flat patterned sole similar to five ten freeriders and heck my kid is only ~ 75lb.

The Thump pedals on the other hand, I think I'll send those back. Didn't even take them out of the package. They seem just too wide and a bit long for his size 3.5 shoe. (95x113mm)

I'll try the Spoon 90 (90x105) or just get the SDG Slater's at 90x90. Leaning towards the Spoon since the width is good, but he can still grow into the size for some years to come and Jensen has a 20% off coupon today making it just a bit more reasonable in price.
    I can back the pins out and loctite them down if needed for less traction and get some shin guards to mitigate the hamburger shins.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Just in case anyone finds this thread down the road, I emailed Five Ten and they say the official size range for the Freerider VCS is 10.5K to size 7.

EDR
    ^^^
    Well that might be their official stance. But for some reason you can't buy them in size 3 4 5 or 6... Even on their own website. And I'm pretty good at this whole internet thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    ^^^
    Well that might be their official stance. But for some reason you can't buy them in size 3 4 5 or 6... Even on their own website. And I'm pretty good at this whole internet thing.
    I hear you. Availability is pretty crap.

I will say that I have seen the bigger sizes around in the past and purchased my kid's current sz 3's from the website. But yeah, there sure don't seem to be any available anywhere at the moment.

I asked five ten when they would be getting the other sizes back in stock, but unsurprisingly have not heard anything back from them on that.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadiaPNW View Post
    I hear you. Availability is pretty crap.

I will say that I have seen the bigger sizes around in the past and purchased my kid's current sz 3's from the website. But yeah, there sure don't seem to be any available anywhere at the moment.

I asked five ten when they would be getting the other sizes back in stock, but unsurprisingly have not heard anything back from them on that.
    Yeah, I don't know when Adidas took over the brand but maybe they're in a transition time. Goes without saying size 4 kids mountain bike flat pedal shoes might not be their highest priority.

EDR
    Regarding pedals. Received the spank spoon 90s today. These are going to be awesome. Much prefer them over the thumps I originally ordered.

For those looking in the future…
    1) they're not as wide obviously so they fit his 3.5 shoe size better but are certainly long enough that he can use them well into his next bike. All the pins fit to the sole of his shoe, unlike the thumps.
    2) the exposed portion of the pins are not threaded. This means they don't grab at your skin like a full threaded pin. Yeah they're still pointy metal but I think this makes a difference as you can feel it just dragging your finger across the full threaded pins vs. these.
    3) the green color is sick. Hard to match anything with a purple bike frame but these things look awesome. if I was a flat pedal rider I would buy these in a heartbeat, a size larger.