mtbr member

Islabikes closing US office to focus on EU and UK markets

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ticle-comments

Could be a good way to get cheap bikes during the US liquidation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Not a huge surprise really ???
    They were once in a niche but now there are more choices and they have been both slow to adapt and had to eat their own words.

Back when Isla were saying kids don't need suspension and kids don't need disc brakes Bill Gates was saying the Internet was a passing thing....

They eventually did adapt on these but not before competition ... so now they are not really that special

They STILL fit twist grip... and regardless of if your kid does or doesn't get on with it they don't seem to realise its the number 1 reason that parents willing to pay the price don't buy an Islabike.

Personally, I'd not choose not to buy a bike because of one $10 component that takes 10 minutes to switch... but time and time again I've seen parents say they aren't paying that price and having to switch the grip shift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's pretty funny that they are still stubborn about grip shifting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Eh, they weren't doing anything for the mtb scene unless you were dropping serious money on 24" Hardtail. Nice roadie bikes for kids tho. I'm happy to see money redirected to the mtb brands

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Eh, they weren't doing anything for the mtb scene unless you were dropping serious money on 24" Hardtail. Nice roadie bikes for kids tho. I'm happy to see money redirected to the mtb brands
    Excepting their new pro range they weren't doing anything special for years (except perhaps crank length)...

When they started out the bikes were a whole class above the mainstream ... but then others caught up or at least produced a bike nearly as light but cheaper whilst other options like Trailcraft were producing bikes a class above.

My subjective view is they are/were top mid-end you could spend a bit less and get a nearly as light bike with trigger shifter or a lot more and get a real bike...

then they started the Pro line but too late.

When you look at their website they have all these reasons/justifications... but it's hard to sort the fact from the marketing knowing this was the company said "because kids don't need suspension" etc. (essentially there message has always been kids just need what we sell) ... they claim to be using DB5 brakes "because the hinge point is closer"... whereas no mention is made how giant the levers are compared to SLX... (or new Deore) ... so based on the previous because ... for example I find this one hard to believe is anything more than that is what they put on with little if any thought
    (I wouldn't be particularly happy teaching my 9yr old to bleed DOT fluid... let alone a younger kid)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is a bummer. We have friends wanting a pro series 'cross bike and they never had stock of any of those models all season. Ended up getting a Raleigh per one of the threads below. Wondered what was going not having bikes in the heart of the riding season.

Lots of little Isla's Being and Cnoc's around for sure. I wonder if Frog Bikes coming into the US market influenced the decision to pull the plug, they seem to be a core competitor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Lots of little Isla's Being and Cnoc's around for sure. I wonder if Frog Bikes coming into the US market influenced the decision to pull the plug, they seem to be a core competitor.
    Here in the UK Frog have made a BIG dent... so this isn't just in the US...
    In general they are slightly cheaper, can be bought from a bike shop and are slightly heavier and don't come with grip shift....

But they aren't the only competitor that fits that pattern...

I honestly (and sadly since we need our exports more now than ever) believe a company that blindly refuses to listen to their customers deserves to go out of business.
    I honestly think they started out in a niche of their own and just didn't adapt or respond (or quickly enough) when others entered the same space.

mtbr member
    So what is there story about why they offer gripshift? I took that crap off my kids bike because their wrists weren't strong enough to shift it properly and put on a cheap Shimano trigger shifter - now my kid actually shifts. I don't understand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    So what is there story about why they offer gripshift? I took that crap off my kids bike because their wrists weren't strong enough to shift it properly and put on a cheap Shimano trigger shifter - now my kid actually shifts. I don't understand.
    Same here. I think most here have chucked the gripshifters in the trash by now. I think Islabikes problem is that they are clueless to their customers preferences, been that way for years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Same here. I think most here have chucked the gripshifters in the trash by now. I think Islabikes problem is that they are clueless to their customers preferences, been that way for years.
    I think they are just a bunch of roadies selling super nice little kid roadie bikes...and for some reason love grip shifters lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So what is there story about why they offer grip shift?
    They don't have a story as such... they just make a statement saying that is what kids need.. there is as I remember no explanation... just they know best.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    They simply don't seem to care... I mean they must have lost thousands of orders and probably initial it possibly made no difference because they were probably at capacity ???
    When they first started they had their little niche... and no real competition.

Some stuff seems to have sunk in but years too late... remember this is the company aid kids don't need suspension... kids don't need disk brakes...

Again no story... after telling people what they DON'T want they then just go and do it...remove the KIDS DON'T NEED from their website and hope none remembers ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Haha, I remember that. They are the Soup Nazi of kid bikes. No soup for you!