How to size wider handlebars for 11yo kid?- Mtbr.com
    that guy
    Jun 2011

How to size wider handlebars for 11yo kid?

I took my daughter on her first singletrack ride the other day and noticed that the short (590mm) bars on her 26" Trek led to some extremely twitchy steering. I think I'd like to install a wider set of bars, but I'm not sure what size to step her up to.

I personally ride with 760s and 780s based entirely on trial and error. Is there a more accurate method to size wider bars that I can use for my kid's bike?

Please and thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I took my daughter on her first singletrack ride the other day and noticed that the short (590mm) bars on her 26" Trek led to some extremely twitchy steering. I think I'd like to install a wider set of bars, but I'm not sure what size to step her up to.

I personally ride with 760s and 780s based entirely on trial and error. Is there a more accurate method to size wider bars that I can use for my kid's bike?

Please and thank you.
    Its all depends of your kids size. Mybson use 720mm on his hightower lt size M
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    Its all depends of your kids size. Mybson use 720mm on his hightower lt size M
    Right, but how do I convert her size to a proper bar width? Shoulder width + X, perhaps? Or, is there some other trick I don't know about that is specific to the modern "wider bars" trend for mountain biking?

Bikes in jeans
    Cheap stems from and trial and error IME, it's give and take with the stem length unless the reach isn't properly sized at all. But I'm not sure what you're describing can be immediately fixed with wider bars, may just be a rider strength/conditioning. I ride on 580mm bars on 2 of my bikes and I often prefer them to my 720 bars on my AM bike.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...