Homebrew laminated wood balance bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Homebrew laminated wood balance bike

Our grandson is just a bit over 9 months old, so I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I built him a balance bike. I needed an easy Summer project, and something without gears or brakes, designed for a wee person seemed like the thing. The grips are currently AWOL, but it is otherwise complete. I scooted around on it with my knee on the saddle and it is way stiff, and the wooden stem doesn't flex much. There is carbon/Kevlar cloth sandwiched in all the critical areas, so it should be plenty safe. Do kids figure out how to jump these things without pegs/pedals? How old was your balance bike rider when they started?

Wardo

Homebrew laminated wood balance bike-20180721_163702-x2.jpg

Homebrew laminated wood balance bike-20180721_163716-xl.jpg

Homebrew laminated wood balance bike-20180721_163734-xl.jpg

mtbr member
    Beautiful Wardo!! Great work.

I think mine was around two but itís because I didnít have one small enough sooner. When I slammed the seat down her little legs wouldnít touch so we had to wait for the right growth spurt.

As soon as legs can touch he will be on it. My kid graduated to a pedal bike in about 18 months. I put the bike together and she took off. I didnít even get to give her the cliche seat send off. She just took off.

Keep that thing, itís amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    Beautiful Wardo!! Great work.

I think mine was around two but itís because I didnít have one small enough sooner. When I slammed the seat down her little legs wouldnít touch so we had to wait for the right growth spurt.

As soon as legs can touch he will be on it. My kid graduated to a pedal bike in about 18 months. I put the bike together and she took off. I didnít even get to give her the cliche seat send off. She just took off.

Keep that thing, itís amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'll need to cut the seat post to truly slam it, but I figured I'd do that. I might just fabricate a seat that is a little further forward to start with since the bars might be a stretch at first.

Wardo

turtles make me hot
    That thing is excellent. Good thing I didn't do all that work when my son was little. When he was about 3 1/2 he was riding a little 16" wheel Schwinn with training wheels. I took the training wheels, chain and crankset off and turned it into a balance bike. We did that for about thirty minutes and put the cranks and chain back on. He was off like a prom dress. My wife was pissed at me for "hurrying" him.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That thing is excellent. Good thing I didn't do all that work when my son was little. When he was about 3 1/2 he was riding a little 16" wheel Schwinn with training wheels. I took the training wheels, chain and crankset off and turned it into a balance bike. We did that for about thirty minutes and put the cranks and chain back on. He was off like a prom dress. My wife was pissed at me for "hurrying" him.
    I am guessing he'll be on it in 7 to 9 months. He'll probably use it for a bit, then I'll build him a 16 or 20 inch geared bike. My daughter and her husband hope to have a largish family, so it will probably get multiple grand kids using it.

Ward

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So beautiful. What an heirloom. We had a "scoot" crappy version of this and it was too big and then the rain got it and it was all over. Hoping this fairs better. Looks like sizing is perfect.

Fwiw it DEF needs a brake. I've seen multiple kids do multiple headers into parked cars because they didn't have brakes and feet dragging doesn't cut it once they figure out how to really ride... Which they do. Don't think it'll only go slow! Lol.

Amazing project you did there... It's a work of art.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    So beautiful. What an heirloom. We had a "scoot" crappy version of this and it was too big and then the rain got it and it was all over. Hoping this fairs better. Looks like sizing is perfect.

Fwiw it DEF needs a brake. I've seen multiple kids do multiple headers into parked cars because they didn't have brakes and feet dragging doesn't cut it once they figure out how to really ride... Which they do. Don't think it'll only go slow! Lol.

Amazing project you did there... It's a work of art.
    I was wondering about a brake, I have ideas on how to retrofit one, but I figured we'd start without it. Thanks for the feedback.

Wardo

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wardo78 View Post
    I am guessing he'll be on it in 7 to 9 months. He'll probably use it for a bit, then I'll build him a 16 or 20 inch geared bike. My daughter and her husband hope to have a largish family, so it will probably get multiple grand kids using it.

Ward
    Looks Nice!
    I'd bet you get more than 9 months.
    We started pushing our son around on a Strider inside at 10 months old. He's 15 months now and just starting to move it on his own. He's a little above average in height.
    Most don't start pedaling until 2.5 or 3. My daughter was almost 3 when she moved to a pedal bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is too cool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    don't underestimate them. my older boy was riding at 14 mos. though he is a bit of a freak, i don't think his little brother will ride anywhere near that early (still not walking yet at almost 11mos, his big brother walked right at 10mos).

absolutely amazing looking bike!!!!!

Homebrew laminated wood balance bike-12321280_10157035510310157_4711872528001538952_n.jpg

BTW... he still uses the balance bike in the house (not allowed to ride pedal bikes inside) so it is still getting used lots and he is almost 4 years old now. i don't think he is looking forward to me slamming the seat for his little brother LOL
    Try to be good.