Help pricing used 24" Yama Jamas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Help pricing used 24" Yama Jamas

Since this is the source for folks seeking used/new kids bikes. I'm planning to sell our 24" YJ's in the next couple months.

2017 model year - X-Fushion 80mm fork.
    Carbon bars
    Stans Crest 28h custom wheels
    140mm Spawn Cranks
    New rear tire, serviced shock, flushed brakes
    Spank Spoon Pedals
    Ashima Rotors
    XT bottom bracket

What do you guys think a fair selling price would be for that? Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With those upgrades I wouldn't list them for less than $800. Maybe start at $900+ even and see what happens. You can always drop the price if there's no interest. If you don't need the money right away patience pays off. I recently sold a Rokkusuta 20 for $1600 and had backup buyers. But, I had ads up for over month with nothing, then half a dozen people all came out of the woodwork at once.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah man, I'd prob go even higher. Stock its like 1200$ right? Now its got 600$ wheels, correct cranks and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'd prob go easy 1200$ assuming its in halfway decent condition. I'm not doing the math but I'd say 25-30% isn't a bad spot to start. There are NEVER decent bikes being sold...certain not as dialed in as yours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have about $2000 into each bike. But in the interest of keeping it real, I know most buyers won't see the value. Stock is $1250 + tax + shipping. $1420 delivered.

I forgot to mention. I swapped the chainrings too. Minor. But it's a factor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I dont know man...1200$ to me seems more than fair with your upgrades but who knows who is buying it. I'm guessing the bikes are in decent condition and come with both wheelsets. That's a hot deal. Are you only selling locally or would you ship?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    They're in good shape. I hope you're right about your price range! People have a mental barrier with "but that's almost what they cost new" and like to disregard the upgrades. I guess I might ship. I have to think there's a buyer somewhere in NorCal. Considering SanFran is 90miles away from me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    On adult bikes, ya know 30-50% of retail is the value after say 2-3 years. But kid's bikes they hold their value way better because there are so few of them, and even less with quality modifications.
    I basically paid 90% of retail for my used 24" bike because it had several hundred dollars in modifications that I found very valuable, and I'd do it again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Those bikes are definitely worth $1,200, but whether someone will pay that is another story. Even with the upgrades people start to balk when the price get's too close to the price of a new one. The Rokkusuta 20 I sold had a ton of upgrades that made it a $3k+ bike, but I doubt it would have moved if I had priced it at or above $2k.

Definitely be willing to ship, at buyers expense. Most LBSs will pack a bike for $60-80, and shipping through Bikeflights generally runs about $30-45. Minimal hassle on your side. Definitely don't try to pack it yourself.

mtbr member
    I'd put them back to stock and sell the upgrades separately... or at least that's what I'd do with an adult bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Our Black YJ is pre-sold. The Blue one will go up for sale in a couple weeks when the new bikes arrive. PM if you're interested.