Help me find the world's smallest cyclocross bike?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Help me find the world's smallest cyclocross bike?!

Hi all,

I debated whether this belonged in this forum or cyclocross, and I figured since it involved a child...here it is.

My older son is on season 2 of cyclocross and naturally that means my younger son (8.5, technically age 9 for the season) wants to get into it. He did a few races last year on his 20" REI kid bike, but they were in the "under 8" category with Strider bikes and such. This season he's done 3 races with the 9-18 kids and the REI bike with 1 speed, coaster brakes, etc isn't cutting it.

I'm kind of impressed in the 30 minutes of the race he's getting the same number of laps as the middle of the pack, and beating kids on 26-29 inch bikes, but he's wrecked afterwards because he can't ever change gear and keeps hitting the brakes accidentally. He loves it though, and it's done more for his ADHD than any med has. So we went looking for an actual cyclocross bike and that's where we've been striking out.

He is about 51" tall (4'1"), 23.5" inseam, and about 54 lbs. So small for his age. We went looking for a 24" cross bike with a standover height of about 24". I found articles that mention the following bikes: 1) Felt F24X 2) Giant TCX Espoir 24 3) Islabikes Luath 24 4) Frog 58, which is a 20"

The bummer is most of these bikes are IMPOSSIBLE to find. They are either sold out, no longer made, out of business in the US, etc. I've been striking out left and right on pinkbike, bikeexhange, craigslist, ebay, etc. for months and I'm at my wits end. I am hoping, since this forum helped me so much with my older son's mountain biking (he's flying now thank you!) someone might have an idea on a bike for my son or some magic location on the internet that bikes go to be found. I am of course open to other brands and options, but having a cross bike might be good because he can go into road season and just put slicks on it, hopefully.

Thank you again for any help you can provide!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've been browsing around CX bikes a bit. The best thing ever made was the Raleigh. As far as I can find, the Giant kids CX bikes appear to have filled that gap. Although much more expensive. You might be able to get a shop to offer 15% off. But in my opinion a 1x drivetrain is a must-have for a kids CX bike. Alternatively, the Vitus 24" can serve as a good base for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bappages View Post
    Hi all,

I debated whether this belonged in this forum or cyclocross, and I figured since it involved a child...here it is.

My older son is on season 2 of cyclocross and naturally that means my younger son (8.5, technically age 9 for the season) wants to get into it. He did a few races last year on his 20" REI kid bike, but they were in the "under 8" category with Strider bikes and such. This season he's done 3 races with the 9-18 kids and the REI bike with 1 speed, coaster brakes, etc isn't cutting it.

I'm kind of impressed in the 30 minutes of the race he's getting the same number of laps as the middle of the pack, and beating kids on 26-29 inch bikes, but he's wrecked afterwards because he can't ever change gear and keeps hitting the brakes accidentally. He loves it though, and it's done more for his ADHD than any med has. So we went looking for an actual cyclocross bike and that's where we've been striking out.

He is about 51" tall (4'1"), 23.5" inseam, and about 54 lbs. So small for his age. We went looking for a 24" cross bike with a standover height of about 24". I found articles that mention the following bikes: 1) Felt F24X 2) Giant TCX Espoir 24 3) Islabikes Luath 24 4) Frog 58, which is a 20"

The bummer is most of these bikes are IMPOSSIBLE to find. They are either sold out, no longer made, out of business in the US, etc. I've been striking out left and right on pinkbike, bikeexhange, craigslist, ebay, etc. for months and I'm at my wits end. I am hoping, since this forum helped me so much with my older son's mountain biking (he's flying now thank you!) someone might have an idea on a bike for my son or some magic location on the internet that bikes go to be found. I am of course open to other brands and options, but having a cross bike might be good because he can go into road season and just put slicks on it, hopefully.

Thank you again for any help you can provide!
    https://www.bigshark.com/product/gia...4-343025-1.htm
    Big Shark, Big Bend location in StL says they have one in stock....no idea where you are...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah, I saw a RX24 on a list, but it looks like they don't make it anymore. I found the Giant in a store in PA and MO (I am in MI) but they will not ship them. I could have gone on a road trip maybe a month ago, but now school has started.

Edited to add: I've called about 5-6 places for the Giant and the Felt, but no one is willing to ship it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bappages View Post
    Yeah, I saw a RX24 on a list, but it looks like they don't make it anymore. I found the Giant in a store in PA and MO (I am in MI) but they will not ship them. I could have gone on a road trip maybe a month ago, but now school has started.

Edited to add: I've called about 5-6 places for the Giant and the Felt, but no one is willing to ship it.
    Just use the Giant "dealer finder" for a local dealer. Ask them to order it up! They will not ship it because it's against their agreement with Giant. All major makers are like that. There's gotta be a Giant dealer somewhere near you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Is creating one an option? Find the lightest hardtail fixed fork 24" MTB and start swapping out parts? Id imagine most of the parts to be swapped are the same must of us crazzies on a family MTB forum would change to make it lighter and better anyway (seatpost, shifters, bars, seatpost, stem, tires)

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I personally would go with a decent used mountain bike and put cyclocross tires on it. Honestly I have been thinking of swapping the tires on my son's MT220 over to the Donnelly MXP 24x1.25 tires to see how he likes it. It would cut down tire weight from about 800g / tire (Kenda K849 that I bought from a Giant store) to 230g / tire. That by itself would cut down the 29 lb bike to just over 26.5 lbs. My son is about 55" and 71 lbs, will be 9 in two months.

My only concern is how well the tires will do on roots, since about 30% of our riding is on trails, and there are lots of roots.
    Last edited by nobody special; 09-05-2019 at 06:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Soma made a 20" kids drop bar road bike fame in 2013. That is, 451mm wheels, like BMX racing bikes. Now gone from their website last time I looked, but they must have sold like the opposite of hotcakes. The chrome one was called Bart (Get it? SoMa and BART?) and then the pink version was Lisa (get it? Bart and Lisa?) I've only ever found staged photos, no idea if anyone ever really bought one. They had blowout pricing around $250 for a little while, it's back up over $300 now if you can find one. I see one on eBay for $280 OBO. There was also a finishing kit that included wheels and tires, handlebar and crank.

Bike Forums C&V has a long running thread on old kids racing bikes. It takes a special kind of weirdo to want 24" tubulars for their kids but those weirdos exist

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Excellent advice all! Thank you! I think looking for mountain bike options is probably good as they both want to take to the local trails and you certainly can't do that with his current coaster bike.

Problem arose: My older son's coach said "Did you know your son has grown out of his bike?" So perhaps the younger one will get the Diamondback Haanjo Trail 24 and now I get to look for whatever lies between the 24" cyclocross bike and an adult bike for my 11 year old who is 55" and 27" inseam. Yay! More searching!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Woom just announced a new series of rigid and light (19lb for 24") mountain bikes - might be worth checking out as an alternative

https://us.woombikes.com/products/off5

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So my son (6.5) just did his first CX kid race this weekend and killed on an MTB. There were a couple younger kids on Wooms but the geo was realy stubby almost like a small bmx. My son was on a Scott Spark Jr set up for trail use and the extra length and stability absolutely gave him the win over the very vast kid on the woom. the woom was also a single gear which realy held the other kid back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrydr01 View Post
    So my son (6.5) just did his first CX kid race this weekend and killed on an MTB. There were a couple younger kids on Wooms but the geo was realy stubby almost like a small bmx. My son was on a Scott Spark Jr set up for trail use and the extra length and stability absolutely gave him the win over the very vast kid on the woom. the woom was also a single gear which realy held the other kid back.
    If this is intended as insight "against" a Woom as a possible choice, I would point out ,the bikes those other kids were riding in your local CX race were not the new Woom MTB. The new MTB is a legit XC bike setup. Different from their other offerings. As an alternative to a mini drop bar CX bike, I think it might be worth looking into for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelim View Post
    Woom just announced a new series of rigid and light (19lb for 24") mountain bikes - might be worth checking out as an alternative

https://us.woombikes.com/products/off5
    Sweet little bike! BB drop looks interestingly low from the image, might be a good or bad thing depending on intended purpose and terrain.