mtbr member
    Dec 2007

GT Stomper Ace 24

Any thoughts on this bike(http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/201...mper-ace-24)as a starting point with a few upgrades that are listed below?

Chainstay length is 405mm and the bike currently we is 26lbs ( so says a bike shop that I called who weighed it for me)

Bike $350
    Upgrade to RST F1rst Air 24 $210

Laying around the house I have a set of SRAM hydro brakes and as well as several carbon bits like seatposts and bars.

Seems like it could be a contender for less than $600.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    For $350, it ticks every box better than any mainstream kids bike I've ever seen at this price. I haven't seen that fork in person so can't comment on its usability, but everything is right with this bike.

130mm crankset
    Disc brakes
    Al stem, bars, and post
    Trigger shifter
    Actual cassette and 8 sp drivetrain (not freewheel)

Again, I'm not sure about the fork, but this bike is almost spot on to every complaint of kids bikes you'll find here or in other threads.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That bike is a really nice effort by GT for sure. At least they are trying to make a proper sized, affordable kids bike! With a final cost of $600 in mind, I don't think you'll do much better. And considering the spare parts you have for it, I'd go for it.

The RST upgrade will probably slice off a pound or so. And your spare parts will perhaps take off another half. I'd also suggest on some AEST Ti Pedals for better grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I will be working as the shop tech at sportchek here soon, I am buying this bike for my son, in 26" however for him to grow with. I will report back as soon as I get it built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    I will be working as the shop tech at sportchek here soon, I am buying this bike for my son, in 26" however for him to grow with. I will report back as soon as I get it built.
    We just got this one for our son too. On sale for $350 CAD so I don't think we can go wrong. I weighed it at around 29 lbs. His Giant XTC JR 24 was 32 lbs! Seems good so far but I am worried that there isn't enough of a granny gear for rides/climbs that we do.

Did you end up buying it for your son? What do you think about it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does anyone know where to get the geometry for either the 24Ē or 26Ē stomper?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks like a great base though a shame you need to buy the more expensive 24 to get a cassette rear hub. If you plan on changing wheels the cheaper version looks a better bet as the frame has the mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just spent a few hours hitting every local bike shop in my area to get my son a new bike for is birthday. He's finally outgrown his 20 inch Specialized Hotrock. We settled on the GT Stomper Ace 24. There really was no comparison except for the DB Syncr 24. But it was also twice the price. The GT was nicer then the Specialized, Trek, Jamis and Haro we looked at. I'm very impressed with it. Hopefully it will hold up over the next few years. We paid $289.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have been back and forth on rigid vs front suspension the problem being our tight budget. But the more riding we do the more I am convinced my son needs the front suspension. The problem is all the front suspension bikes in our price range arenít that great. I initially looked at this and thought could upgrade the front suspension eventually but was essentially told the bike wasnít that great. I would love to hear from those that own it any pros or cons and how it is treating you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you can't drop 700$ or so, pass on a front fork bike. The Suspension won't work anyways. Any decent riding kid can still go hard on a rigid bike with proper geometry, they'll just be slower but in the end maybe a bit better. Look at all the BMX kids, they learn to be real smooth because they have no suspension. Don't fall for the garbage coil fork crap, it's a trap for kids that "want suspension" but it does not function for kids and weights a ton. You can get a really nice rigid for around 350 to 500 iirc.

mtbr member
    So far the GT Stomper Ace 26 has been great for us. I believe it was $500 regular price and we got it for $350 on sale. It weighs right around 30lb on my scale and for comparison, his Giant XTC Jr 24 was 32 lbs. The front fork was crap on the Giant and needed to be replaced so we replaced the bike instead. They outgrow bikes so quickly at this age, not sure it would be worth spending so much more on a bike at this stage. We do a lot of biking, a lot of 30 km trail days and a lot of blue, technical single track in the mountains. I know my kids would not be able to go as far or for as long without having front suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    So far the GT Stomper Ace 26 has been great for us. I believe it was $500 regular price and we got it for $350 on sale. It weighs right around 30lb on my scale and for comparison, his Giant XTC Jr 24 was 32 lbs. The front fork was crap on the Giant and needed to be replaced so we replaced the bike instead. They outgrow bikes so quickly at this age, not sure it would be worth spending so much more on a bike at this stage. We do a lot of biking, a lot of 30 km trail days and a lot of blue, technical single track in the mountains. I know my kids would not be able to go as far or for as long without having front suspension.
    I think you need to give more credits to your kids, they did it in spite of the crappy front suspension. That fork on the XTC Jr 24 has barely any compression when I lean on my whole 210 lbs, hard to believe it has any benefit for a 60 to 80 lbs kid.

Cheers,

Sebis

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have been looking for a stomper 24 in my area and every time I go to a store that had one listed available on the web site they are sold out!! lol For around $300 it seems like a great all around bike.. similar spec to the $500 plus bikes out there so I want to get to see one and have my son check it out., Iím going to head to one more store tomorrow and if that doesnít work Iím working on a 2016 diamondback line 24 as another option.. I didnít know it was going to be this crazy looking for a more capable 24Ē mountain bike for my little guy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb15 View Post
    I think you need to give more credits to your kids, they did it in spite of the crappy front suspension. That fork on the XTC Jr 24 has barely any compression when I lean on my whole 210 lbs, hard to believe it has any benefit for a 60 to 80 lbs kid.

Cheers,

Sebis
    Possibly. But, my kid is 85 lbs and he could definitely compress the front suspension on the XTC and seems to do so on the new bike too. I agree that itís not as finely tuned as a good fork on an adult bike but it definitely does at least something for them on the rooty, rocky trails around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb15 View Post

Cheers,

Sebis
    I tried the same fork on a Cube ... I'm only 70kg but couldn't shift the fork more than 1/4 of the way.. the girls dad is 100kg and could shift it nearly half way.

However before saying what THAT specific fork is like its worth considering the fork can be THAT BAD that the springs are completely different between forks... it could simply be luck of the draw as to the strength of the spring you get with any specific (individual) fork... perhaps with the variability being so bad some people luck out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiore View Post
    I have been back and forth on rigid vs front suspension the problem being our tight budget. But the more riding we do the more I am convinced my son needs the front suspension. The problem is all the front suspension bikes in our price range arenít that great. I initially looked at this and thought could upgrade the front suspension eventually but was essentially told the bike wasnít that great. I would love to hear from those that own it any pros or cons and how it is treating you.
    "Not that great" is all relative...
    Kids bikes cost no less to make than an adult bike (probably more as they are in smaller numbers) so expectation should be the same.
    Most adult bikes in the same price category will be trash ... and worse not trash you can economically upgrade

The GT is way better than trash... it is obviously not a $2,000 or $5,000 bike.
    The Ace has a cassette ... disk hubs, disk mounts and 130mm cranks (placing it ahead of many kids bikes 2x the price)

The Prime doesn't have the disk hubs or cassette so you are "economically" stuck with the freehub and low end gears.

Under $200 buys a decent air fork.... Jnr has the RST F1rst... but the Suntour Air also seems good.. (the problem is I don't know anyone who has had BOTH to compare)

If you wanted a really good bike for the minimum cash I'd buy the Prime and throw out the wheels and fit a decent group set and fork

If you wanted a ready to ride decent bike then the ACE is still pretty good value but your paying more for the mechanical brakes and mid range parts... (which may be quite fussy) and when the drive chain wears stick a 10/11sp on.

Both bikes have the same frame which does look a bit long at the back... which will translate to harder to keep the front wheel up.. This will be even harder with a heavier fork. Ultimately the bike will be a larger part of the kids weight so where their weight is will make a bigger difference that an adult who is moving way more weight forwards or backwards on the bike compared to the bike weight.

Based on that I'd probably prefer to start with a Orbea 24 which has short chain-stays... making for a more agile bike but needs the cranks changing from stock.

Either way GT seem to have made a great effort at the price point when you consider what the components cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I finally got out of work on time and had my son so we could check out the Stomper Ace. After looking at it and letting him ride it around a bit he loved it. He said he fled more comfortable on it with the slightly wider bars and the brakes were much more responsive than he is used to and everything just seemed to fit better. I have to say GT did a nice job making a legitimate mountain bike for kids that doesnít hit the $600 range.. this was $289 and at that price the way it is specíd I think itís a bargain and with a couple of upgrades here and there itís a great bike! If you are looking and on the fence about this bike or the others out there just find one and look at the build. I think they did it right.. I did notice the rear caliper is outside the chain stay where itís pretty exposed but that is more likely due to space constraints back there and the fork is just a typical coil fork.. I could have taken a rigid but itís there so maybe upgrade down the road. Definitely check this bike out for your kids and it will save you a little in your wallet too!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry I haven't been on here in a while but I did end up buying the Stomper Ace 24( see link below) and have no regrets especially with the purchased upgrades and change from my spare parts bin. The only other change I have made was swapping out the front tire for a Brood Maxtion 2.3

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-ridi...t-1073029.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    We found a bike shop locally that rented this bike. I have been having a hard time finding something that would make my son (and me) happy that was decent and yet still made the financial dept (my wife) happy.

We took it out yesterday to Mary's loop out at Kokopelli (we live in Fruita). We did Mary's up to Wranglers then down. Not a long ride but my son is only 8 and he is pretty tiny. He then rode Rustler's with my wife this morning. Anyway, he loved the bike, at 26 pounds while not super light it is lighter than a couple other he has been able to try. He also loved that it is a 1x and also actually commented on the brakes compared to his old rim brakes on his 20" Marin. While the front shock is nothing to write home about, it did the job, he was able to compress it and it did seem to soften some of the steps he went down. the rental still had all the reflectors etc on it. As a base 24" I can't complain about the bike or the price. We will be buying him a 2019 the shop has. He absolutely loved the bike! Just my .02 for anyone with a little one needing to move up from a 20" but with a very tight budget.

mtbr member
    I am upgrading my 9 year old's Stomper Ace for Christmas, I got him one of the Suntour Air shocks and Kenda Kinetics tires, but I would like to address the drive train to give him better ratios for climbing.
    Will I need to replace the rear wheel if I move up to a 10 speed cassette from an 8 speed?
    I was thinking of Shimano ZEE or XT and just getting the freewheel, deraileur , chain and shifter....I would prefer not to deal with swapping cranks, bottom bracket etc. if I can get away with it.
    Is this a good direction or should I look elsewhere?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iím looking at the Lola Ace 24 for my daughter. I can snag it for $225 which is way less than the comparable Trek and Specialized bikes Iíve been looking at. We arenít riding anything too aggressive but sheís outgrowing her 20Ē.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by defdes View Post
    I am upgrading my 9 year old's Stomper Ace for Christmas, I got him one of the Suntour Air shocks and Kenda Kinetics tires, but I would like to address the drive train to give him better ratios for climbing.
    Will I need to replace the rear wheel if I move up to a 10 speed cassette from an 8 speed?
    I was thinking of Shimano ZEE or XT and just getting the freewheel, deraileur , chain and shifter....I would prefer not to deal with swapping cranks, bottom bracket etc. if I can get away with it.
    Is this a good direction or should I look elsewhere?
    The spec I saw the Ace has a cassette ... so you just whip it off and put on the 10sp.

usually, manufacturers have some spec may vary ... legalese so Iíd remove it first and check before ordering a whole 10sp... (for the time it takes)

Itís pretty obvious once you remove it if itís a freehub or freewheel... itís not that hard to tell anyway but as you are asking if you take it off you will be certain.

You can fit an expander and Iíve had a Zee doing a 40T but a lot depends on your frame and dropouts... as to if it works without a hack (google goatlink ) ... personally never had to use one on 4-5 bikes .. 3 kid sized ...

Zee works fine ... especially if thatís what you have but buying new there is little in cost to go 11sp. We never had any problems with the medium length mechs on 24 wheels so you donít have to do a Zee ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    ...especially if thatís what you have but buying new there is little in cost to go 11sp. We never had any problems with the medium length mechs on 24 wheels so you donít have to do a Zee ...
    Really excellent information, thank you. As to your last sentence, I wanted to go 11 speed but didn't know if there would be enough space with the hub length, have you run into issues with that, or am I mistaken in that concern?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Really excellent information, thank you. As to your last sentence, I wanted to go 11 speed but didn't know if there would be enough space with the hub length, have you run into issues with that, or am I mistaken in that concern?
    You are correct to question it because the 11sp are slightly longer ... (as I remember) and then there is either a spacer or not. If there is a spacer then it's probably long enough...

However, I've not had this issue. All the 10sp hubs I've used have taken 11sp no problem. However since cassettes wear out and I have shimano 11sp it was a diskless purchase ... (worst case I have a spare cassette for when I wear out one)....

The one issue I did have was a specific hub and fitting a specific E13 expander ...

(In fact its more specific... the hub has replaceable end caps .. and I have the SAME one in 12mm .. this takes the expander... the 5mm QR doesn't)

Go figure just one of those weird things...

mtbr member
    I am jumping up from an 8 speed to 10 so I figured 11 would be pushing it on fit....though 10 might also. I'll pull off the rear cassette this afternoon, I'll post what I find, there may be more advice needed.

mtbr member
    So this is where I am at, it's a Sunrace hub, there is no spacer and it is maxed in length to accommodate the 8 gears, am I SOL? Would a Sunrace to Sunrace hub swap make a difference instead of the Shimano that I was leaning towards? (existing derailleur is Shimano Altus).
    Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Stomper Ace 24-hub1.jpg  

GT Stomper Ace 24-hub2.jpg  

GT Stomper Ace 24-hub3.jpg  

Hardtail Steel Forever
    So this is where I am at, it's a Sunrace hub, there is no spacer and it is maxed in length to accommodate the 8 gears, am I SOL? Would a Sunrace to Sunrace hub swap make a difference instead of the Shimano that I was leaning towards? (existing derailleur is Shimano Altus).
    Thanks again.
    You're fine. It's a normal freehub, you should be good for 10 or 11 sp with that. The gears are closer together on the 10 and 11sp groups but they should fit on that without any issue. So, to upgrade, you need a new shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The difference isnít huge. 1.5mm springs to mind... and in all probability a 11 will fit. I have only had one wouldnít and that was a 2012 hub... and that one I replaced the freehub (but only because it was cheaper than bearings)

... but it looks like a fairly common joytech or similar hub (Iím guessing itís the cassette thatís sunrace) with a standard Shimano design freehub. Itís quite probable you might just find a new freehub that will take 11sp (one of my bikes needed the bearings doing but when I looked I found the same freehub from one of our national (uk) retailers for less than I could replace the bearings.

Have you checked the cranks and if the chain ring will come off ? This might also be a limiting factor... as the 6-7-8 speed chain is wider than the 10 and 11 narrower again... again it will probably work...

https://goo.gl/images/naK1vA

Youíd only need that part ... if you can find it and then only if the 11 wonít fit...

Alternatively you could get a rear hub and build the rim onto it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Just cross posted but as per jestep it will probably fit.

mtbr member
    Super, I just made the order. I went 10 speed for cost consideration. My only concern now is the front chain ring. Does ANYONE make anything smaller than a 30T ? I was also concerned about the thickness as you stated. The bolt spacing is really small 4 x 97mm is what I remember....
    I am a metal worker and I guess I could chuck the front chain ring up in my lathe and take a few thou. off if need be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Most likely 96 BCD (itís not easy to measure without something to centre the caliper) but 96 is a standard ... you might not need smaller than 30 but it should be possible to get a 28 on as 30 is the minimum for a 104...

mtbr member
    Amazing what changing from 97mm to 96mm will let you turn up, I found one should I need it. I also changed my order to an 11spd group, I was looking at a higher end Shimano set up which is why I thought it was so much more expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    GT Stomper Ace 24-46444517_10156970549559783_3037202568796176384_n.jpg

Just for reference this is a 96BCD with a 30T chainring ..

(Cranks aren't quite finished as I was in a rush)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Super, I just made the order. I went 10 speed for cost consideration. My only concern now is the front chain ring. Does ANYONE make anything smaller than a 30T ? I was also concerned about the thickness as you stated. The bolt spacing is really small 4 x 97mm is what I remember....
    I am a metal worker and I guess I could chuck the front chain ring up in my lathe and take a few thou. off if need be.
    If for some reason the cassette doesn't fit there are always a few hacks ...
    The retainer for the free hub is likely a weird size and possibly a 12 star (like a hex) .. but usually a long allen wrench of the right size will work... The sod is until you take it off you're not sure how its fixed... but either way it will tighten in direction of drive... (at least removing some uncertainty)

If you do get a small chainring for a BCD one thing to be aware of is the threads are part of the chainring not a separate nut... this means they must be mounted from one side... which is usually inside (middle ring on a 3x). This shouldn't be an issue... just be aware.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46444517_10156970549559783_3037202568796176384_n.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	1226477

Just for reference this is a 96BCD with a 30T chainring ..

(Cranks aren't quite finished as I was in a rush)
    That's trick, those are cranks that you've shortened?
    Thanks for that additional info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That's trick, those are cranks that you've shortened?
    Not the best I've done or quite finished but I was in a rush to use them at the weekend...whole job took about 30 mins at lunch last Friday. With the right cranks the drilling and tapping is pretty easy... I used a hand drill (well a decent one)... the main thing on the alloy is drilling slowly enough not to melt the alloy... and the 13mm bit can give quite a wrench when it breaks through... though on this set I used a 12mm which is under clearance for a 9/16th tap in steel but leaves more thread. I used a TCT mitre saw for cutting due to time... I prefer a hacksaw as heating the heat treated alloy is probably not great... but it cuts through pretty cool.

I still need to finish the ends as I ended up using the surface grinder... (probably not recommended on heat treated alloy) so when I get time it will be hand file and linisher.... this part takes way longer than the cut and tap...

I'd stick with the GT ones though unless you have good reason or just wanna play... I had to either buy or fabricate some anyway... so I did an external BB which does save weight... since I was doing it anyway

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who guided me, the experiment was a success!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Stomper Ace 24-hub11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks to all who guided me, the experiment was a success!
    Can you provide a link to what exactly you ordered? My son is getting his stomper ace 24 for Christmas and I would like to upgrade as you did. He has been riding it all summer as the "rental" bike we have been getting him, we have stored it at my sisiter in laws house. :-) Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiore View Post
    Can you provide a link to what exactly you ordered? My son is getting his stomper ace 24 for Christmas and I would like to upgrade as you did. He has been riding it all summer as the "rental" bike we have been getting him, we have stored it at my sisiter in laws house. :-) Thanks!!!
    Well, I'll tell you what I order and THEN what I reordered. Below pictured is the Shimano SLX CS M7000, but I didn't like the jump from 37 to 46 teeth (low gear on the Stomper is 38 teeth) so I ordered a Sunrace CSMX80(?) which goes from (I think?) 36 to 42 to 46. There is another thread where the gearing is all covered: https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...o-1092695.html
    Good luck! I also got a Suntour air fork which is going to be a big improvement in weight and performance. They are available here for $159 https://www.srsuntour.us/products/xc...=5469981933599

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, I'll tell you what I order and THEN what I reordered. Below pictured is the Shimano SLX CS M7000, but I didn't like the jump from 36 to 40 to 46 teeth (low gear on the Stomper is 38 teeth) so I ordered a Sunrace CSMX80(?) which goes from (I think?) 41 to 46. There is another thread where the gearing is all covered: https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...o-1092695.html
    Good luck! I also got a Suntour air fork which is going to be a big improvement in weight and performance. They are available here for $159 https://www.srsuntour.us/products/xc...=5469981933599
    The Shimano stuff doesn't go from 36 to 40 to 46 (that would be pretty decent).

It goes from 37 to 46 IIRC...that's a crappy jump. They just swapped the 42t with a 46t. Not ideal tho I'm sure it works for some...but for same/similar money you were smart to move to the Sunrace which. Its better even if its not massive improvement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    The Shimano stuff doesn't go from 36 to 40 to 46 (that would be pretty decent).

It goes from 37 to 46 IIRC...that's a crappy jump. They just swapped the 42t with a 46t. Not ideal tho I'm sure it works for some...but for same/similar money you were smart to move to the Sunrace which. Its better even if its not massive improvement.
    Edited to show. I edited it on my phone originally and put the gear info for the Sunrace in the wrong sentence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looks like the bike will be dialed! Nice work. Let us know how the cassette works.

mtbr member
    I am pleased to report that he Sunrace fits too, the gearing looks a lot more reasonable and the construction looks lighter as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Stomper Ace 24-sunrace.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just picked up a Stomper Ace 24 for my 6.5 year old son for Christmas. I had to drive 3 hours round trip to find one in stock. It's a legit kids bike for cheap (especially when on sale!). Thanks to all those that contributed info in this thread!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I am pleased to report that he Sunrace fits too, the gearing looks a lot more reasonable and the construction looks lighter as well.
    It looks like in the pic with the box you got the CSMX8, NOT the CSMX80? No 0 after the eight, is this correct? I have looked for the 80 in 11-46 and cannot find it. All I find the CSMX80 in is 11-50. Not sure if that would work on the stomper or I should just get the CSMX8 like you did and be done with it? Thanks for any help or advice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    If it were me Iíd do a tried and tested .. especially if you want it in time for Xmas ... if it turns out to need a goat link or something you might miss Santa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dang, I was duped! I was changing the front chain ring to one that was 11 speed compatible, and when I pulled the cranks and the chain ring covers, I found this.
    A bit late in the game to be ordering bolt on cranks for Christmas morning, so I will plunge ahead and hope the chain ring works with the 11 speed chain. It is thin enough, the tips of the teeth aren't squared off and there is no real taper to them though. Are there aftermarket bolt on cranks for this application (96 BCD, 4 bolt)?

As to the Sunrace question below, you are correct about the part number, I think I found it on gAgmazon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Stomper Ace 24-front.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    If the chain fits on fully then youíre good for Xmas ... you can file it slightly if necessary but Iíd try 1st! Doing 30 teeth will take a while .. Iíve repaired bent teeth with a file and it works fine.

Longer term you could get the trailcraft sq taper cranks but it will be a 104 BCD.
    You might also be able to just modify the one in the photo but it would be easier to just return the 96 bcd and switch to a 104. (Even if you just got something like the SRAM s600 it would be less work to cut and drill/tap and youíd save some weight)

mtbr member
    Thanks, yeah I thought about turning the teeth off of the existing ring on my disc sander with a center dowel through the hole in the crank arm to keep it centered, then drill out the holes, but I didnt have the 4 of the special bolts needed for mounting. I may go that route or order the other cranks. Thanks for all of the help here, I will post pics when I finish it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Are there offset derailleur hangers? I am a bit stumped because this SLX (RD-M7000-11GS) hangs below the 8th cog on this cassette , not nearly enough adjustment to get it to go to the 11th. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks, yeah I thought about turning the teeth off of the existing ring on my disc sander with a center dowel through the hole in the crank arm to keep it centered, then drill out the holes, but I didnt have the 4 of the special bolts needed for mounting. I may go that route or order the other cranks. Thanks for all of the help here, I will post pics when I finish it tomorrow.
    If you do need them, do you have amazon local?
    First though Iíd try it as-is. Itís only the width of the teeth that is different.. and most narrow wides do 10/11 or 9/10/11 no problem.

Also do you have or can you find a used adult crank with solid arms and access to a 9/16ths set of taps? Can be 2x or 3x ... youíd still need short bolts though on a 2x .. on a 3x you can use the bolts from the granny ring.

Something is not right with the mounting on the rear mech as the M7000 should easily reach ... if you have the cable in remove it .. check it is mounted correctly against the stop on the hangar. (Check a park tools vid.. itís easy to do this wrong if you donít do it often ... you need to support the mech until it is screwed far enough in then there is a stop on the mech and another on the hangar)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thrift store bikes are a good last minute source for parts like chainring bolts too (assuming you can find a bike without rivited cranks).

Depending on the store, it's sometimes even cheaper (our Salvation Army sometimes does $5 for 5 deals with bikes included).

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who helped, the issue was a mix up between the H and B screws from a youtube vid I watched that had them swapped. Chain is at a little sharp a bend coming off the cranks, I think the mod on these mentioned below mounting the chain ring to the inside would correct that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Stomper Ace 24-stomper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    how much of the fork tube did you have to cut off?

mtbr member
    I don't recall exactly, but I would say about 3".

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I always seem to wish Iíd left more than I did at a later date.

Even after thinking it through and measuring .. not terrible but just taking away that option later.