Groms XC racing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Groms XC racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Groms XC racing

Anyone else in here participate in Groms XC racing? If you haven't, it's a total blast! We're fortunate enough to have a race promoter near Sacramento that does a great job. Does anyone else have a local Groms XC race program?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Groms XC racing-groms2.jpg  

Groms XC racing-groms1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    There's the SERC which holds races for all ages in the southeast(starting from 3!). My daughters (7 and 9) are attending their first this sunday. I figure the terrain might be a bit mellow compared to what they're used to but they should have a blast riding with a bunch of other girls their age.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    They will have a BLAST! My girls really look forward to riding with other kids. Any opportunity they get. The terrain tends to be much more mellow for safety reasons but they will ride harder than they have ever ridden. And be cross-eyed the whole time. Many kids don't have a rev-limiter. They just pin it until exhaustion. Have fun!

mtbr member
    I'm eyeing Prairie City for my kids too but the eldest is only starting kindergarten this year, I'll see you there in 2022

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Misca is our the XC race lesgue here in Michigan:
    https://miscabike.org/

My oldest is only 4, but competition is a 6 race series in the fall which leaves the whole summer to work on development. I'm registered for some coaches training on Sunday to try to up my skills and learn a little more of what I should be doing to get him prepared / keep things safe while riding.

Our 2 year old might even get into the action as well: they're planning on a balance bike race at one of the races. If they can get more kids entered, they may do more - last year they made an attempt but only had only 1 kid enter... instead of racing other kids his age, a large group of the older kids just ran along with him and cheered him on. We'd have joined in too, but that was one of the races a few hours away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well my kids definitely had fun at the race yesterday. I was surprised the race was just 2 laps of a 1/2 mile course. The terrain was perfect, mildly technical with some shifting required. Unfortunately my oldest dropped her chain on the first lap (that's what I get I guess for keeping the alivio derailleur on) so was slightly bummed about that. My youngest was absolutely pinned off the start which shocked me. They got medals and some goodies at the end of the race. There was an unmanned intersection on the course (with only one small arrow for signage), and one kid went the wrong way without anyone realizing and was lost for about 40 minutes (had her big sis with her thankfully).

If that's not crazy enough...there was an 11 yr old on a carbon 29er racing with them! That girl had some serious speed. Super nice kid.

2019-04-29_09-20-16 by Eric Ferris, on Flickr

The start. My kids in the fullface helmets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Well my kids definitely had fun at the race yesterday. I was surprised the race was just 2 laps of a 1/2 mile course.
    Wow! Only 1 mile? That's pretty much a sprint.

Here's an example of the distances for one of the races around here from last year:

VARSITY: 3 Advanced Laps (18 miles)
    JUNIOR VARSITY: 2 Advanced Laps (12 miles)
    ADVANCED MIDDLE SCHOOL: 2 Advanced Laps (12 miles)

NOVICE: 2 Beginner Lap (9 miles)
    MIDDLE SCHOOL: 2 Beginner Lap (9 miles)

UPPER ELEMENTARY: 1 Beginner Lap (4.5 miles)
    LOWER ELEMENTARY: 1 Beginner Lap (4.5 miles)

They're tweaking this for 2019 for the elementary kids, though -- Upper is now grade 5 & below vs. Grade 4-5 / Lower is now grade 3 & below, with lower elementary doing about half the distance of upper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    @TimTucker - Those distances look about right to me.

I'll have to throw my Wahoo computer in my kids jersey pocket to see how far they go. Our local format is 25min. Whoever does the most laps wins. I think they're doing somewhere around 3+ miles. My girls are in 4th grade.

@eyeballs - funny how when we're having these discussions in a forum and many of us are fretting about the shipping cost of some tire or pedal. And you get to a starting line and you realize many of the parents have torn into the piggy bank MUCH deeper than you would ever imagine. Also, you see the firsthand advantage of bigger wheels for going faster across the ground!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I like the 25 min lap# format idea better then a set # of laps, seems like it would work best when there is a large difference in capability in the field.

Those big wheels certainly do help. Though I'd rather have my kids on something more maneuverable that will help their skills progress. My youngest is definitely maxed out on her 20", she only recently moved up from 16".

mtbr member
    Yes!

https://raceoc.com Is our Southern California MTB series...so much fun! It's starting next week on May 7th.

We're also doing the West Coast Jr. MTB Championship https://www.jrmtbchamps.com/west-coast.html

It's been a really fun and challenging year for my 10 y/o daughter. I really can't express how good racing has been for her individually and us as a family! Get out there and race!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    @eyeballs - funny how when we're having these discussions in a forum and many of us are fretting about the shipping cost of some tire or pedal. And you get to a starting line and you realize many of the parents have torn into the piggy bank MUCH deeper than you would ever imagine. Also, you see the firsthand advantage of bigger wheels for going faster across the ground!
    You're not kidding...there's carbon epic's and canyon exceeds on the line in OC...that just the girls 9-11 class lol...But I'm guilty too, found a smoking deal on a Fox sc in factory orange lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    You're not kidding...there's carbon epic's and canyon exceeds on the line in OC...that just the girls 9-11 class lol...But I'm guilty too, found a smoking deal on a Fox sc in factory orange lol
    Probably a lot of nicer bikes out there that come from deals and good connections. At the coach skills training I was at over the weekend, one of the dads there who worked at a local shop was on a pretty recent S-Works hardtail and was talking about handing it down to his son for the upcoming season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is anyone aware of any NorCal Jr's or Groms races this summer? Or even XC races who will also have a Jr's category?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Is anyone aware of any NorCal Jr's or Groms races this summer? Or even XC races who will also have a Jr's category?
    CCCXCYCLING.COM in Monterey/Salinas area. Trails are not technical and not a lot of climbing, but always a lot of fun. Last two races of the series are June 23, and July 21

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    Carbon DV9 frames for under 1K then built up seems to be the hot XC/NICA bike around here, now. Of course.. one of my son's best riding buddies just scored a freaking 2019 S-works Carbon Stumpy for his trail bike (they did get a smoking deal off of pinkbike)... so yeah. People shell out here as well. Gets annoying because my son, who was unbelievably grateful for his full suspension 2019 Stance a year ago, now thinks it's a crap bike compared to the kids he's riding with (one friend is on an Evil, another on the abovementioned S-Works Stumpy, and another on a Stumpy Evo... these kids are from 11-15 years old and all shred, though).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    CCCXCYCLING.COM in Monterey/Salinas area. Trails are not technical and not a lot of climbing, but always a lot of fun. Last two races of the series are June 23, and July 21
    Thank you! I'll check the calendar and see if we can make that work!