Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24- Mtbr.com
    Friendly Neighborhood MTBer

Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24

Anyone have a Schwinn Frontier Midi 24 from back in the day? Nashbar was clearing out these frames for $10 with free shipping so I had to get the boys version and the girls version. The frames are made of steel and all the parts I put on were also inexpensive so, at it's heaviest, the complete bike weighed about three quarters of what my kid weighed. Later on, I was able to find a Scott Scale 24 on CL for $100 and I ended up transferring most of the parts to the Schwinn and building up the Scott with some nicer parts. The Schwinn was still relatively heavy, and since it was setup as a 1x7, I had to put SPDs on so they could ride it on longer xc trails . Most other times, it got used as the park bike, the DJ, or the shuttle bike. My 2nd kid has now outgrown the boys frame so I'll be transferring all the parts to the girl's frame. The boys sure had lots of fun times on it.

Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-schwinn.jpg...Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-garbageday2.jpg...Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-img_8453.jpg...Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-schwinn_harveywest.jpg...Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-schwinn_nrim.jpg...Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-19hough07.jpg
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Awesome to see your kids hittin'it!

You may well have already considered this, but just something to keep in mind, the cheaper "girls' frames" often have these disjointed setups that are contrary to good geometry-- where the top tube might be curved in weird ways, and really low on the seat tube, poorly supported etc...
    If that bike works well as is, it may be good to just hand it to the girl!

Cheers,
    Ridwan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
    Thanks for the tip! I was hoping to skip a bike build but she tried to ride her brother's bike and the top tube was not quite low enough. Plus I guess the blue was not quite gender neutral enough for her
    So the only sensible choice was to build up the purple Schwinn. First time out and she's charging on the larger wheel size. Though I don't think she's going to be sending it quite like her older brothers did.
    Can't wait for her to try it out on some singletrack.
    More girls on bikes!

Goodbye to our ol' reliable Schwinn Frontier Midi 24-img_1540-2-.jpg
    If you can't play, display.