Giant Stance 2019 XS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Giant Stance 2019 XS

We've decided on an adult Giant Stance XS instead of the Trance Jr for my kid (there's a reason we're doing Giant, which I won't get into). I'm linking the .pdf here. He's around 5'1" and 90 lbs.

So I know we'll need new cranks. We're also looking at converting to 1X, eventually. This is the first time I've done any modifications on a bike like this, so I'm unsure if there are things I need to look out for as far as which parts I can order and whether they'll work with this bike. We've had our eye on the Trailcraft crank arms (and maybe chainring, if we can switch to 1X that easy...). We also have a friend who coaches a road cycling team and has a makerspace who uses a CnC machine to make for all the kids on their cycling team.

Anyway, other modifications you might look at, and things to be aware of when I'm shopping around for modifications to this bike? Also, any absolute red flags on our decision to go with this over the old Trance Jr?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Giant don't seem to have updated their geo for 2018.... but if you have good reasons to buy Giant then I don't see anything I'd hugely want to change. Of course depends on how he wants to use the bike... but a big plus your mostly into mainstream products not stuck with what's available for kids sizes.

You can obviously drop some weight if that's super important...(obviously SLX-XT-XTR gets lighter by a few grams and $$$) you might score some nice 27.5 carbon wheels.(there were some Giant TRX-C's on eBay for around $350 a week or so ago).. if its for lighter XC focussed riding you might consider putting a 120mm SID or in the other direction you could for a 130 Pike... (Seems a lot of reduced Pikes at the moment... and you can buy any size and switch the airshaft for <$40)

The PF BB is a pain but ...(My Giant also has PF) ... I guess either buy the tools or pay when it needs switching (or live with creaking which I'm doing presently).

You can go with Trailcraft or get the 170mm Praxis machined down .... if you want below 155mm...

Before you do either I'd recommend the chart/method at the bottom of this page.
    https://highpath.co.uk/crank-shortening/

If 155 is OK then you can look at some of the SRAM 155's.... if not with the shop you could get the praxis machined down to <155

Has he tested the dropper ??? (Is his weight enough)...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the recommendations! He hasnít tested dropper, so thatís a good call. We will do that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, if he is big enough to ride the XS then he can't be far off SRAM 155mm cranks.
    Don't rely on height though... if your going to the trouble and expense do the method on that link... I'd avoid the Suntour 152's... in any case.. though.
    You'd also need to check what axles are available for the SRAM cranks.. (as you are stuck with the PF30 BB) ... (I'm no fount of knowledge on BB studs except the one you have will fit std "Shimano" and if it was external you need to change BB for the SRAM external ...
    As you can tell I'm no fan of PF BB's... but it's not a deal breaker! Just keep on top of it as unless you get the press fit tools (or hack them) its book it into a shop time...

For the dropper you can always fix the cable (one way or another) but if his weight doesn't compress it your a but stuffed... We only tried 2 combo's for Jnr though he's much lighter... but my old Reverb was no way... but he got a thomson and that's fine.... he had to bounce a bit but he's put some weight on since ... if he's not sat on it he can't depress it without leaning over and holding his chain stays

The thomson is a thing of engineering beauty ... except the cable release... but I haven't bothered hacking anything up he's just got a long and teflon coated cable... but at some point I might modify an unused XT 2/3 shifter ... but I'd bet you'd be OK with the Giant contact...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We also bought XS and SM 26Ēwheeled adult bikes on the used market rather than kid specific frames. Great way to stretch your $$, get higher quality and have more aftermarket support for repairs or upgrades. Iíve never second guessed the decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I'd avoid the Suntour 152's... in any case.. though.
    What's wrong with the SR-Suntour XCT Jr. 152mm square taper cranks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_UNIX View Post
    What's wrong with the SR-Suntour XCT Jr. 152mm square taper cranks?
    All the low end Suntour cranks Iíve seen are pretty poor in terms of manufacturing and finishing compared to other manufacturers who cost $10 more. (I donít mean $100+ cranks but S600ís which are $10 more for example ) the suntour ones just look and feel shoddy .. if you handle them itís more obvious than photos ... but the set we threw away were not even ďsquareĒ taper as there was almost 1mm difference in the square ... but most of the finishing was like that . Just a bit off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I donít mean $100+ cranks but S600ís which are $10 more for example
    Where can I buy SRAM S600 160mm cranks for $43.45??

I bought two SR Suntour XCT Jr 160mm 44/32/22T cranks for $33.45-each on Amazon.com. The finish seems OK to me compared to the only other non-riveted sub 165mm MTB crank I have -- the TruVativ ISOflow 160mm (take-offs from a Specialized HotRock 24), which I cannot find anywhere to buy.

The SR Suntour XCT weight was close the same as the TruVativ ISOflow:
    TruVativ ISOflow: 282g right arm + 237g left arm = 519g
    SR Suntour XCT: 326g right arm + 257g left arm = 583g
    [my crude measurement showed the TruVativ ISOflow has a little narrower Q-factor than the SR Suntour XCT]

I've tossed the steel 104/64 BCD rings from these cranks and used RaceFace and Shimano aluminum rings (swap meet NOS) to make the best affordable 160mm crankset I could for the road bike (12-34T). And a single N-W 30T ring for the MTB (11-46T)

I'm struggling to find something between the 152mm Sugino XD600 square taper and SRAM NX 155m 2-piece cranks and easier-to-find 165mm arms. WTF does SRAM make a 155m NX crankset and then the next size up is a full 165mm?? Ditto for Sugino XD600.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I got ours off Amazon (UK) but a quick google gives me £29.99 which is quite a bit less than $43.45.

Weights are posted on here somewhere combined with a UN55 B.B. and narrow wide.
    Heís currently got some older Shimano LX cranks (non hollow) cut down with a B.B. on his XC bike that are considerably lighter with the external B.B. His Full suss has some Zee cut down .. I canít remember exact weights but for some reason but the Zee and B.B. are only 12g lighter than the SRAM S600 and B.B.

Here is what my localised google shopping found... several for a few $ more as well
    https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sram-s6...-22/136325339/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk