Get a Syntace flatforce stem!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Get a Syntace flatforce stem!

Just about every kids bike I see, the bars are too high.

The Syntace Flatforce stem is a great tool in a parents arsenal. It lowers the bars about 20-30mm below any other stem.
    Name:  C0DF041C-E9A5-4730-A234-6F03A6AB2E5E.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  32.6 KB
    They are expensive, but their quality is top notch, and they offer nice rounded steerer sides. They also move to each new kids bike as they grow, unlike other parts, so you can get many years of use out of it.

Syntace

You canít use a super short length on most bikes. So reach is often still an issue.

I get around this by using high sweep bars.
    This is a great solution because high sweep bars allow a rider to use wider bar that thy could in a straighter bar.

The other option for lowering the grips is installing a riser bar upside down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Drop stems? FSA also make drop stems though they are expensive like the Syntace. Token also makes drop stems in -20 degree flavor for 30 bucks on amazon. Btw, the downside to a drop stem is that it WILL cause damage when the wheel is forcibly swung into the frame, like say in a crash so be aware of that if you use one. Throw a hefty layer of 3M on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Just about every kids bike I see, the bars are too high.

You canít use a super short length on most bikes. So reach is often still an issue.
    load of bollox - 35mm on no1 son's scout and 50mm on son no2 riprock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Drop stems? FSA also make drop stems though they are expensive like the Syntace. Token also makes drop stems in -20 degree flavor for 30 bucks on amazon. Btw, the downside to a drop stem is that it WILL cause damage when the wheel is forcibly swung into the frame, like say in a crash so be aware of that if you use one. Throw a hefty layer of 3M on the top tube.
    Good point Smoking. Only thing that may get around that though is the aggressively sloped top tubes on most of the kids bikes. May just miss still. I know one would still clear on my sons MX24. Right now I've got his 40mm Wren Stem slammed and his levers clear the TT by a couple inches.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    load of bollox - 35mm on no1 son's scout and 50mm on son no2 riprock.
    Succinctly put ...
    Never seen the need for negative rise on Jnr's bikes.

We currently (2yrs of growth later) run no spacer on Jnr's XC bike with a 85mm Syntace (Whyte branded) 30mm rise stem which is still high but lengthens the bike and is still well below saddle height. The syntace itself is 10mm wider than the other stems. (i.e. it takes 10mm spacer less be that above or below) ... With low rise bars this just clears the top tube. He now needs a new seat post as he's pushing the one he has to the insertion limit.

Before that he ran a 50mm Hope AM with 20mm rise and before that a 45mm Wake Stem that cost GB£5 delivered) ...

On his Fluid he's running the Hope AM with 20mm rise and 20mm of spacers underneath going down to 10mm of spacers for gravity only DH

He already has +12mm of rise from the external headset lower to accommodate the tapered stem so we are looking at 32-42mm total.