Full face helmet for 9 yr boy in Minnesota and learning to jump?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Full face helmet for 9 yr boy in Minnesota and learning to jump?

My 9 yr old is really getting into riding and we'll be doing a lot of trail riding this summer. Our trails are pretty tame but as he rides more advanced terrain AND starts to play around at the pump track/jumps, how necessary or beneficial is a full face helmet?

We did one day of chairlift-served riding last year and he did fine but we stayed on the beginner trails. Looks like I can get the Bell Sanction helmet for $90 which isn't bad.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full face helmet for 9 yr boy in Minnesota and learning to jump?-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    With how light and affordable full face helmets are, there’s absolutely no reason you shouldn’t get one for your kid. That’s not to say a normal helmet is unsafe, just that a full face is definitely more safe, with minimal increase in weight and heat being the only drawbacks.

My oldest had a trip and fall playing with her siblings and landed right on her mouth. Several thousand dollars in veneers and braces went into fixing her up so when she was able to ride we got her a TLD stage full face helmet. It’s under 600 grams and well ventilated. She even wore it her first two XC races this year, as she’s still struggling with some confidence after her fall, and had no complaints other than squirting water down her front when taking a drink. I ended up getting one for myself because, again, there’s not really a reason not to wear a full face.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My main recommendation would be to just go full face and don't get a removable chinbar. My experience with the removable chinbar, is that they'll constantly want it removed and you have to fight the battle on when the chinbar is required. I'd recommend just getting a good light, well-ventilated full face.

I have the Fox Proframe and love it. My son has had a Bell Super 2R (removable), Giro Switchblade (removable), and the TLD Stage (not removable). He likes the Stage the best. It's super light and very well-ventilated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fly Default, just over $100, lightweight, certified protection. We crashtest a few of them yearly in BMX , no concussions yet.

mtbr member
    Can you weight that fly helmet? I saw 2.5lbs listed but that’s getting into moto helmet weights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My kid has the Super 3R. Unlike Hogfly's experience, my kid thinks the fullface is cool and wears the chinbar even on the road when I don't bother wearing mine.

That said, we don't do any lift based riding. I might pick up something DH certified with a fixed chinbar if we did.

mtbr member
    My son use super 3r, i will order tld Stage in xs/s size. My other son 13 years old and i use M/L
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like a no-brainer to get the full face. I like the TLD Stage as well due to it's light weight. He's barely an Adult XS so hopefully I'll get a couple years out of it.

mtbr member
    Yes algo tld comes with 3 different set of pads which help to fit different head size so it will last longer.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    We have 7IDP M1's and Kali Zokas. Both are great, light and cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So here's a list of the helmets I looked at. Trying to decide of the TLD is worth $90 more the 7iDP M1. My guess it that it'll get used 10-15% compared to his regular helmet so I don't know if it's worth the extra cost. Main difference seems to be the weight, which is notable.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full face helmet for 9 yr boy in Minnesota and learning to jump?-helmetlist.jpg  

mtbr member
    Definitely it worth it!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkim View Post
    So here's a list of the helmets I looked at. Trying to decide of the TLD is worth $90 more the 7iDP M1. My guess it that it'll get used 10-15% compared to his regular helmet so I don't know if it's worth the extra cost. Main difference seems to be the weight, which is notable.

That weight means a lot-- often (in this case), it also means better engineering--the Stage is a top tier helmet, which the 7idp is not.

We all started wearing full face on all rides, to avoid any decision points, (and really the last thing I want it to spend money fixing my face!) In the early days, when other kids would be around for a ride, he'd sometimes ask and our love was something like "not every family makes the same choices..." He was less than 4 years old.
    Also, magnetic buckle on the TLD. Once I bought my son the Fox Proframe which he can (similar style buckle) un/buckle himself, he never even thinks about the half faced. Even when playing around on the BMX bike outside.

Best part, because they see me and Rowan, as other kids in the neighborhood started riding, they've started asking their parents (and borrowing our old ones) for FF as well!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We just bought a second Bell Sanction for my 9 yr old, he wore his old one since 5yrs old for MTB and BMX racing and it worked great! Tough, simple buckle, no complaints about weight. Got the last one for under $60 from Scheels.

mtbr member
    I just bought my middle guy a xs black TLD stage for $113....yesssssssssss