FS: Spawn Rokkusuta 20 (heavily upgraded)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

FS: Spawn Rokkusuta 20 (heavily upgraded)

My son's heavily upgraded Spawn Rokkusuta 20 is for sale. Full details and pics in the Pinkbike listing: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2587445/

Pinkbike price is on the high side for the low-balling vultures. I'd let it go here for $1500.
    Last edited by RMCDan; 06-28-2019 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    That is awesome. If only I lived closer to terrain where my kid could put that to good use. Her YJ 20 hardtail is perfect for her right now. Would make a hell of a bike for her to take to highland camp next month though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Would make a hell of a bike for her to take to highland camp next month though...
    Buy it, use it for camp, then flip it. Consider whatever you can't recoup in resale a rental fee. You're paying for the camp, so might as well go all-in, right?

Problem with this approach is that when camp is over there's no way she'll let you sell it until she outgrows it!

Seriously though, while the down is where this bike truly shines it pedals up quite well. He's done a bunch of 1K+ climbs on it. The geo is basically the same as stock despite having 120 mm of travel up front. Manitou put some serious engineering into that fork and the A2C is almost exactly the same as the stock fork. They accommodated the extra travel by shrinking the lowers. The ratio of stanchion length to lowers length is crazy compared to the stock Brood fork (or an adult fork).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If her YJ didn't seem so perfect for her now I'd actually consider that. But yea, no doubt it's an impressive bike. I just need to move to place with more diverse riding options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What did the weight on that run?

My worry about the idea of moving to a FS bike for 20" is that the extra weight would make our XC oriented trails a lot tougher, especially since he's used to ~16 lbs at 16".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I haven't weighed it since all the new stuff went on. I can check it tonight, but it should be 25-26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bump. $10 digital fish scale I got off Amazon says it's 26.1 lbs. Not a featherweight XC machine by any means, but he's done lots of 1,000+ vert climbs on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Damn. This is such a sick ride. This like a 3k$ bike now...

450$ fork upgrade (it's insane, we just got ours).

Hayes dominions, which are apparently one of the best brakes of all time. With kid levers. 440$

Ks lev integra dropper 300$
    Etc etc.
    Not a bad deal...at all!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the plug, svinyard. Obviously it's not a bike for everyone, but I think $1,500 is a pretty reasonable price for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    An ethical dilemma:

I took payment yesterday from a guy in Kansas who's buying the Rokkusuta. Dropped it off at the LBS last night to get packed up, but they're backed up with service requests so it won't be ready until Thursday. Didn't pull the ads down yet and got a text from a local serious buyer this morning. I'm debating whether to refund the other guy's money and go with the local guy. I'm covering packing/shipping for Mr. Kansas so selling to Mr. Local nets me an extra $100 and some time/hassle, but I feel like a little bit of a dick doing it. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If it were me, I'd just consider it sold to the original buyer. If he's already paid, at this point it's his bike and you're just dealing with the process of making sure it gets to him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    If her YJ didn't seem so perfect for her now I'd actually consider that. But yea, no doubt it's an impressive bike. I just need to move to place with more diverse riding options.
    Let me know when she's done with that YJ :-).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    If it were me, I'd just consider it sold to the original buyer. If he's already paid, at this point it's his bike and you're just dealing with the process of making sure it gets to him.
    Well you're no fun, Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    An ethical dilemma:

I took payment yesterday from a guy in Kansas who's buying the Rokkusuta. Dropped it off at the LBS last night to get packed up, but they're backed up with service requests so it won't be ready until Thursday. Didn't pull the ads down yet and got a text from a local serious buyer this morning. I'm debating whether to refund the other guy's money and go with the local guy. I'm covering packing/shipping for Mr. Kansas so selling to Mr. Local nets me an extra $100 and some time/hassle, but I feel like a little bit of a dick doing it. Thoughts?
    Man,I've been thinking about buying the bike for a couple weeks... With that said. I wouldn't back out on a deal where someone paid for it already. It's not like the local is doubling or tripling price. Then you could refund the money back plus a couple extra benjamins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If it were an adult bike I'd probably go with Mr. Local, maybe tell him of the other sale and try to squeeze him for an extra hundo or two. But, the more i thought about it he's probably already told his kid, shown him pics, etc. and I'll ruin the kid's day. I'm not nearly callous enough to ruin a kid's day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sorry I missed this thread

Didn't switching to the JUnit fork slacken the HA a bunch?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Sorry I missed this thread

Didn't switching to the JUnit fork slacken the HA a bunch?
    Eyeballing it the A2C on the 120 mm JUNIT fork is indistinguishable from the the A2C of the Brood 100 mm fork. I was I had photographed them side-by-side, the lowers on the JUNIT fork are sooo short. It's amazing what Manitou's engineers were able to squeeze in there. Switching headsets from a ZS44 to an EC44 definitely slacked it out a bit, but not drastically.

He's on this bike in the drop at 0:41, definitely not causing any problems
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1CiJTRPC4