First pedal bike for my 4 year old, 38 inch skinny fella- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

First pedal bike for my 4 year old, 38 inch skinny fella

He has a balance bike that he loves and does very well on it, but it's time to get a bike. He is 38 inches tall and his inseam is about 18 inches. He will mostly be on the street and some light gravel. I would like for him to have a first bike that is easy to handle and build confidence because he is a shy, scaredy cat most of the time(unlike my wild 2 year old). I've read about Woom, Cleary, Spawn and some of the bmx bikes like Cult Juvenile and Misfit. I'm open to all suggestions. I'm not against spending up to $500, but my wife will think I am crazy so lower is always nicer. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    We freaking LOVE the Yoji 16" man (the 14" is very tiny btw). It's a Rigid DJ type bike with nice tires that actually work on the trail. About 370$. My 8yro grom is constantly stealing it as well. No brainer and it works in the Skate Park/BMX park just fine too (especially at this age). Just grab one of those, slam the seat, get them pedaling...then ASAP get them standing and coasting until they can stand and pedal. We've never raised the seat in 2.5yrs. The kids just learn to ride like a BMX which is most critical.

If you are doing most urban/BMX park stuff, the Cult Juvy or Fit Misfit are the ticket for about the same 350$. Skip anything else imo, especially the roadie/gravel Woom kind of bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info. Where are you seeing the Spawn Yoji for $370? I see it for $415 on their website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    https://parkcycles.ca/product/16-pedal/

this looks pretty nice for the money as well unless I am missing something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was in the same position. Emailed these guys & came to a pretty good deal. She's been practicing on an older loaned 16" bike & it's like 22lbs. Can't comment on anything as it's still being shipped.

Plus side is they might be running a sale. Downside is shipping from UK. Total delivered was about $470

The way I look at it, when she's outgrown & done with it I'll be able to sell it & recover most of what I paid for it. Which means more money in my pocket for her next bike.

This is around 13

https://earlyrider.com/products/seek...31167266095191
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First pedal bike for my 4 year old, 38 inch skinny fella-seeker_16_profile_3200_x_1800_moz_2048x.jpg  

83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain916 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Where are you seeing the Spawn Yoji for $370? I see it for $415 on their website.

Bah, they've gone up in price. I also misquoted the weight at 13 instead of 14lbs iirc. I'd still buy that in a heart beat. Don't under estimate that it turns into a full on rigid DJ bike as the kid gets bigger. You'll get an extra year or two riding it like that.

That park bike isn't too bad either. Its heavier and looks a little longer but a nice price. My oldest kid started on a bike like that and rides scary stuff better than most adults at 8yro. As long as the bottom bracket is sealed and the brakes have mini-levers, it'll be nice. I'm real partial obviously to the DJ/BMX stuff for newer riders but that bike is good for the money and has decent sized tires, which is often overlooked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been trying to understand gearing and it seems like the Yoji will be easier to pedal than a cult juvenile or misfit bmx. Am I right about that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My daughter and I built up her Seeker 16. (Installed bars onto stem & pedals) After 10 minutes she was riding on her own for her first time. And hour later she stopped. I need to buy running shoes now... Garage scale says 13.65 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First pedal bike for my 4 year old, 38 inch skinny fella-first-time-riding-bike.jpg  

83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just wanted to give an update. Went to my local bike shop and they happen to have a Norco 14 Roller. Paid $270 out the door so I was pretty happy with it overall and my son loves the color and has been doing great on it. Still needs my help, but I hope he can be on his own in a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone.

Not sure why the pic is sideways. Sorry about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First pedal bike for my 4 year old, 38 inch skinny fella-kam-side.jpg