FInally some progress- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FInally some progress

I posted this in passion but then I realized there was a separate forum for kids.

I have triplet boys and I bought a strider to get them started at 17 months. I plan on getting three but right now we are still figuring this out.

Had my first real progress yesterday, it wasn't much, but:

Name:  ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif
Views: 151
Size:  799.9 KB

Rider is almost 21 months and these are the first independent steps I've got out of any of them. Typically I've been holding the bars and letting them walk along, and trying to focus them on holding and pushing.

They really dislike the helmet and it distracts them from actually pushing the bike, but I'm not going to let them go without it. I think I may let them play in the yard with helmets to get used to them and hopefully forget they are there.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That is great, my son had no interests in (balance) bikes until he turned 5. I sold is balance bike like new because he absolutely refused to ride it.

Regarding the helmet, I would be cautious about leaving the helmet on when playing and not riding, they could get their head stuck and cause accidents.

mtbr member
    I bought my daughter a balance bike when she turned two. I waited for her to show interest after trying a friend's bike. Of course, she then ignored it for months, up until I changed my approach.

Instead of encouraging her to get on it and help, I just brought one of my bikes from the basement and started riding on the backyard. She immediately jumped on and followed me as I simply power walked in front of her.

I have taken her to the park, but there were no other kids she could learn from. My next step is going to see a BMX race or rounding parents to organize a bike themed playdate. A local bike co-op organizes bike rodeos and summer camps, but they work with older kids.
    EAT : SLEEP : RIDE
    2010 Cannondale Rize 120 Three
    2011 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Flickr Set

mtbr member
    The rider there definitely knows what a bike is and is interested in them. He's looked at bike videos on TV and says "bike".

The others two don't do that stuff, but if I get on my bike one gets super excited and watches me intently. I don't think he quite has the connection that the thing I'm putting him on is the same, but I'm sure it will come soon.

I haven't been forcing them. If they get fussy I put it down or switch to another one. I don't want them not to like it. But I know by the way they are that once they understand it I won't be able to keep them away from it. Right now running around just seems more natural to them and this seems like an unnecessary piece of hardware that gets in the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think you're probably safe ditching the helmet for the time being.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I think you're probably safe ditching the helmet for the time being.
    It's just to form the habit. I don't want to try to instill that later once they've figured the bike out and then resist it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    It's just to form the habit. I don't want to try to instill that later once they've figured the bike out and then resist it.
    Overcoming resistance is going to be part of your daily routine for the next 20 years or so. I wouldn't worry about it. Your call though, of course. I'm pretty sure the little guy in the castle has more chance of falling on his head than the one on the strider though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.