mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Enduro bike for my 11year old son

Hi all,

need some advice re what bike to buy for my 11 year old son. He's been shredding and loves to do downhill and parks. I'm looking at the Giant Trance Jr (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-jr-26), but can't find any other decent dual suspension offroad bikes...

There must be bikes out there for future shredders...

Any advice?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How tall/heavy is your son? Would he fit on an extra small adult/women's bike?

Transition makes the Ripchord, but it's based around 24 in wheels, which I'd expect he'd grow out of soon.

How about the Rocky Mountain Reaper? It comes with 24 wheels but can take a 26 in wheel set. It also has pretty aggressive geo, which would be good for park.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 00deas View Post
    Hi all,

need some advice re what bike to buy for my 11 year old son. He's been shredding and loves to do downhill and parks. I'm looking at the Giant Trance Jr (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-jr-26), but can't find any other decent dual suspension offroad bikes...

Any advice?

Cheers
    If he's tall enough (my 11 year old is), I'd put him on an Adult XS 27.5" bike. We looked at the Trance Jr. as well, but we went in a different direction because the 26" wheels. He'll likely outgrow this bike before wheel scarcity and such will be a factor, but we also were thinking about resale.

Other options for kid specific:
    Spawn Rokkusuta (only goes up to 24", so probably too small unless your kid is tiny).
    Trailcraft Maxwell 26"

There's a Families and Kids subforum a few above this one on the board, and there are a lot of knowledgeable (and very opinionated, hah) posters there who will certainly have input.

mtbr member
    How much are you willing to spend? How much does he ride?

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...SC=ALL&P=11825

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    How much are you willing to spend? How much does he ride?

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...SC=ALL&P=11825
    He could also get a new one with a NX groupset for 2999 new (and maybe less if you call around, that's just the retail price). I haven't had much experience with the Fox 36, but from what I read, it might not be necessary (or ideal) for what an 11 year old weighs. Though, on the other hand, if you're the type to swap parts across frames, it might be worth getting a better spec bike now.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the RM Reaper, super sweet bike and 3 wheel size options

Reaper | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro bike for my 11year old son-web_reaper_275_c1_hero.jpg  

Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    Another vote for the RM Reaper, super sweet bike and 3 wheel size options

Reaper | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    Reaper is a cool bike but its an odd design. Its really just an odd 26" frame (long chainstays but short FC) where if you do convert to the 130mm fork and 26" then the reach gets really short on it. Ideally the rear-end would be adjustable length like others have done, and cockpit would have a reach-adjustable headset. It unfortunately has neither of those. I kind of wish they just made a kickass 24" and had a sweet 27.5" that you could throw 26" wheels on as kids have extra str by the time they are on a 26" usually to deal with a frame a size to big.

The small Scout is pretty kickass but if you are shredding DH what you want is the new Clash. They are doing it in a 20, 24, and 27.5. You could thow some 26" wheels on the 27.5 and be set for a while. Its the first kids bike that is built using modern enduro frame geometry; aside from maybe the Propain Yuma (which is a fantastic option at 26" I guess but you can't get it outside of Europe, certainly not in USA). It'll be around 65d HTA, with a steep-ish STA, not to long stays and a long front end. Much like their full size clash. Cool stuff, especially for the DH scene.

https://www.commencalusa.com/clash-j...0b-c2x26686696

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 00deas View Post
    Hi all,

Any advice?

Cheers
    Need to know:

-How tall is your son currently?

-How tall is he likely to get in the next year or three?

-How long do you want this bike to last him?

-What travel and geo numbers are you looking for?

-How much of your riding is lifts/shuttling vs. pedaling up?

-What's your budget?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Checkout

Kona Process 167... very low stand over height. My son used it as his enduro/park bike, when he was your sons age... you can still find some new at cheap price.

https://www.cambriabike.com/products...13172266074224

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    Checkout

Kona Process 167... very low stand over height. My son used it as his enduro/park bike, when he was your sons age... you can still find some new at cheap price.

https://www.cambriabike.com/products...13172266074224
    Wow. I'm tempted to buy one for myself at that price.

mtbr member
    Here is my son with his Scott Genius 27.5" small, he rides the bike nice, honestly i was trying to get a bike that will last more than 2 years, this was a nice option, got it used in perfect condition for a really low price. I did some mods, XT brakes, 1x11. 11-46T XT, and 75mm dropper.
    SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How big was he when he got on that bike? It looks like it fits nicely.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post

The small Scout is pretty kickass but if you are shredding DH what you want is the new Clash. They are doing it in a 20, 24, and 27.5.

https://www.commencalusa.com/clash-j...0b-c2x26686696
    FYI I am local (about 3 mile pedal) to the Golden, CO Commencal office and they said earliest they will have the new Clash is mid-June. This is a bummer because the date last fall was March. I asked about spec as photos look like renderings still and they said all that is TBA, so don't look at website pics as final spec basically is what I was told.

Scout is available, now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    How big was he when he got on that bike? It looks like it fits nicely.
    About 140cm
    SC Hightower LT, SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    FYI I am local (about 3 mile pedal) to the Golden, CO Commencal office and they said earliest they will have the new Clash is mid-June. This is a bummer because the date last fall was March. I asked about spec as photos look like renderings still and they said all that is TBA, so don't look at website pics as final spec basically is what I was told.

Scout is available, now.
    I have specs and geo if you want them. Super bummed about mid-june. That sucks...24" was on out short list.

Fwiw you might see if Norco Range or Sight does an XS. Norco is one of the few that shrink (and lengthen) their chainstays based on frame size. It'll need a suspension retune I'm guessing but would be a sweet bike.