Dropper Post Option Updates?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Dropper Post Option Updates?

Can you guys confirm what dropper posts are functional for a 60lb kid these days?

I've heard the KS Lev Integra works well. Its pretty spendy tho. I wish it had a paddle remote too.

Is Brand-X functional for a kid? Nevermind, the last one of these I tried with the kid def didn't work.

I pinged OneUp about their V2 post coming out, I know you can adjust the PSI and stuff. Hopefully they will have some info. Hard to beat the price (much like the Brand X). Adjustable travel def sounds ideal for the kid as well.
    Last edited by svinyard; 05-08-2019 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    My son has been riding a KS Eten for a couple years. He started when he was 7. It was a little hard for him to actuate at first but he does great now. The LEV on my bike is much better but the price was right on the Eten.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I've heard the KS Lev Integra works well. Its pretty spendy tho. I wish it had a paddle remote too.
    I have the KS Lev Integra on a Yama Jama 20Ē. However it is a bit too stiff to push down for my 25kg kid. I have played with the pressure, but if I go lower it wonít come up. Iíve consider changing to a lighter oil in the cartridge, Iíll get back if I succeed with that. I got it second hand (unused though) including a paddle remote (they do have that as an option, see https://www.kssuspension.com/product/southpaw-alloy/).

Bikes in jeans
    KS LEV's have adjustable air pressure so they should work with any weight, although at lower pressure the return would be slower. I think they have cheaper non adjustable models though so if you do go that route make sure you get one you can air up. Also, with all droppers, they often have total lengths and insertion lengths that make them difficult to use with kids bikes so do the math on the frame and the overall sitting post height to make sure it will actually work. IME, it's difficult to impossible to find ones that work on many 24in and smaller frames because the seat tube is often too short or is it too tall and a there's something that restricts the post from being inserted far enough, making the seat height way too high.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    IME, it's difficult to impossible to find ones that work on many 24in and smaller frames because the seat tube is often too short or is it too tall and a there's something that restricts the post from being inserted far enough, making the seat height way too high.
    I think this is where KS Lev Integra and the new Oneup dropper v2 excel with very short insert lengths. Regarding long travel, I did a trick to reduce travel, just a cord from seatpost clamp to the saddle rails. Doesnít look so nice, but it works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 6 year old son uses a KS Lev Integra 100mm on his 24" Marin Hawk Hill junior. I bought the southpaw lever and he actuates it fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    My 6 year old son uses a KS Lev Integra 100mm on his 24" Marin Hawk Hill junior. I bought the southpaw lever and he actuates it fine.
    Very interesting. So back to tuning today. I went down to 10bar/145psi and loosend up the seat post clamp a little bit. Now my kid could actuate it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wallander View Post
    Very interesting. So back to tuning today. I went down to 10bar/145psi and loosend up the seat post clamp a little bit. Now my kid could actuate it. Thanks!
    Yeah you have to be cautious with the seat post clamp as that can damage the post if it's too tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I tried out two cheaper dropper posts with my 60lb 7yro at a shop today.

TranzX YSP19 - this worked really well. Remote is janky but whatever the post def worked with the kid on a 24" bike. He was able to sit on it without having to really hammer down with his butt.

TransX YSP12L - this had a decent paddle remote that he liked a lot better. It has some length to it. He was able to actuate this post as well. It was on a small adult bike and he had to put some force into his drop (but def doable for sure without bouncing). It was prob due to him just not having as much room to drop his backside down like when he was on the 24".

They aren't as nice as the KS Lev Integra (this is pretty dang smooth with a kid) and both weigh more but they are pretty dang cheap and people seem to have good results with them too.

Brett at TC said they've had good luck with their 48lb kid and a Fox Transfer with Wolftooth Light Action remote. They said the same about the KS Lev SI with the Southpaw remote. The only thing annoying about KS is that they aren't dirt cheap and somehow still come with the lame top-down remote instead of a paddle.

On the other side, Norco Fluid FS 24" has a pretty dang decent spec for 1799$! Dropper post, shimano drive train with black 11-42 cassette etc. DHF tires 2.4 front and back. SDG kids saddle. Cranks are too long at 152 still but still, that's a nice spec for that bike.
    Last edited by svinyard; 05-28-2019 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Amusing shot of what happens with a damaged cable and 60 pound kid when the dropper fires by accident.

He was unweighted at the time popping a small drop and nearly got fired over the bars.

Short vid on his Instagram
    #Olstermtb
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0JqutH...=1lo2ewpcsm5bx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Where are these TranzX post available? Esp the external/ 80mm version?

I tried out two cheaper dropper posts with my 60lb 7yro at a shop today.

TranzX YSP19 - this worked really well. Remote is janky but whatever the post def worked with the kid on a 24" bike. He was able to sit on it without having to really hammer down with his butt.

TransX YSP12L - this had a decent paddle remote that he liked a lot better. It has some length to it. He was able to actuate this post as well. It was on a small adult bike and he had to put some force into his drop (but def doable for sure without bouncing). It was prob due to him just not having as much room to drop his backside down like when he was on the 24".

They aren't as nice as the KS Lev Integra (this is pretty dang smooth with a kid) and both weigh more but they are pretty dang cheap and people seem to have good results with them too.

Brett at TC said they've had good luck with their 48lb kid and a Fox Transfer with Wolftooth Light Action remote. They said the same about the KS Lev SI with the Southpaw remote. The only thing annoying about KS is that they aren't dirt cheap and somehow still come with the lame top-down remote instead of a paddle.

On the other side, Norco Fluid FS 24" has a pretty dang decent spec for 1799$! Dropper post, shimano drive train with black 11-42 cassette etc. DHF tires 2.4 front and back. SDG kids saddle. Cranks are too long at 152 still but still, that's a nice spec for that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think Chainreactioncycles sells some of them. Also PNW Components rebrands these posts (like many others). They might be a touch more money but I dont recall for sure.

FWIW I think the Ztto paddle remote sold on amazon is somewhat decent for the price (I've seen guys mention it).

Ks makes a cheaper (slightly heavier) version of their post that works for kids. Maybe you could find that on sale for similar cost.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone got anything on the KS E30-i?

Looking for my son's 24" Pineridge. He's about 65lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The e30i doesn't have the adjustable pressure. Only the Lev models do like the Si.
    From the manual: (LEV-Ci, LEV Integra and LEV-Si Only) But I'm not sure how it would do with a 65lber

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think Chainreactioncycles sells some of them. Also PNW Components rebrands these posts (like many others). They might be a touch more money but I dont recall for sure.

FWIW I think the Ztto paddle remote sold on amazon is somewhat decent for the price (I've seen guys mention it).

Ks makes a cheaper (slightly heavier) version of their post that works for kids. Maybe you could find that on sale for similar cost.
    I have CRC's brand-X ascend II 27.2 105mm on my son's 24 and the ascend II 30.9 125 on my wife's hardtail. Since the 27.2 version ships with a vertical lever I ordered the ZTTO lever from china for about $16. As much as I think it's great for that price, I realized that the angle and design of the lever requires a longer throw to actuate and not great for kids. I took the lever from my wife's bike, gave her the ZTTO and put hers on the kids bike.

AS far as how much force is required, Stiction+ the nonadjustable cartridge make it unsuitable for kids under 60lbs minimum I would guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post

AS far as how much force is required, Stiction+ the nonadjustable cartridge make it unsuitable for kids under 60lbs minimum I would guess.
    That's the major one... one way or another the lever can be fixed...
    I've got a transfer and its WAY more weight required than the Thomson... and he's only just at 35kgs / 77# (in riding kit) able to depress it easily... before that he could bounce his weight for a while and use momentum to overcome the stiktion and the air spring.

Despite the Thomson having the most rubbish lever for the price the lever has never been a problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm aiming to get kiddo #2 the Brand X one this xmas. He's got enough weight (~85lb) that I'm hoping it won't be an issue. Does suck that they only sell the 27.2 with the CX lever. Even though their own Vitus 24 is set up for a 27.2 dropper.