Disc Brakes On GT Stomper Ace 20"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Disc Brakes On GT Stomper Ace 20"

My son has moved onto a GT Stomper 20" that currently has rim brakes. The frame and fork has mounting holes for disc brakes but I'm not sure what I need to do in terms of wheel build etc to get him disc brakes. He's only 4.5 years old so his hands get really tired on the rim brakes. Trying to determine whether I'm better off looking for another bike or trying to get thi sone dialled (it will be his little sisters bike eventually)

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc Brakes On GT Stomper Ace 20"-gtg54209u70os.jpg  

Disc Brakes On GT Stomper Ace 20"-gt_g20-g54400u-20-u-stomper-ace-sil-os-20-pd.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd like to hear this too. Got a Hotrock now in the same situation. I know I need hubs, discs, calipers, and cables. I'm going to make it a freehub in the rear. I don't know if I need some special hub for the front, which presently has a 10mm nutted axle and dropouts big enough for it, not 9mm like quick release.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should be OK with just standard QR hubs, assuming that you're tightening them down enough and the spacing is OK. Most of the forks are designed for 9mm QR but also have enough space for a 3/8" axle (~9.5mm).

There have been some relatively light disc wheelsets on aliexpress that have been posted in the past that would probably be the most cost effective option (~$100 or so):
    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...d-1112291.html