Customized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Customized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr

I bought this Marin Hawk Hill Junior for my 6 year old (he's a big boy) mid last year to give as a Christmas present. Of course I couldn't leave it standard and had to give it some custom touches.

First and easiest mod was done as soon as it arrived and I swapped the 11-42t Sunrace MS8 cassette for a lighter MX8 I had spare. I purchased a Hans Dampf for more grip up front after searching for a decent aggressive 24" tyre that didn't weigh a tonne, (still not light but acceptable) and setup the tyres tubeless with some cheap ebay blue stems. Next I found a set of XTR race brakes for sale secondhand unused and snapped them up, matched them with some ice tech rotors that were on special. XTR 10 speed shifters were on special at CRC so I grabbed one which was a great improvement in shifting feel. A friend had a 100mm KS Integra dropper that needed a rebuild he gave me for free, (cost a bit to get rebuilt but it came back with a newer black stanchion ) I was worried it would be too high but it seems to be only slightly and he doesn't struggle dropping it a little to his preferred height. I had thought about a limiting strap but he'll grow into it very soon anyway and it doesn't seem to hinder him thus far. I bought some assorted blue anno bling from eBay and a Wolf Tooth oval ring (the stock steel ring was a tank at 300+ grams) as well as an Uno stem I removed the decals from with acetone. Then on Christmas eve I had the fun of swapping the carbon bars (got them secondhand too) and pedals from his old bike and bedding in the brakes at 11pm up and down the street haha.

All up it owes me about $2000 Australian (like $100 US right now? ) and weighs in at 29.3lb. Not the lightest kids bike but certainly not the heaviest and with 120mm of plush air suspension it definitely doesn't hold him back.Customized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-rear-brake.jpgCustomized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-front-brake.jpgCustomized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-front-.jpgCustomized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-close-up-mods.jpgCustomized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-side-.jpgCustomized Marin Hawk Hill Jnr-connor-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Good for him!

We went with a Marin 13" Xs frame as well. It fits very well and for $110usd, the Marin frames seem like a good deal for our littles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    Good for him!

We went with a Marin 13" Xs frame as well. It fits very well and for $110usd, the Marin frames seem like a good deal for our littles.
    Where can this be bought as a frame only?
    I enjoy the occasional bicycle ride.