• 01-02-2020
    Fla
    5 Attachment(s)
    Commencal Ramones 20'' custom build for my 5 years old boy
    Hi everybody,

Since i took some good advices on this forum in order to build a lighter and more performing 20'' bike , i'd like share with you the result.

The frame is a commencal ramones 20'' bike, wich has imo a pretty good geometry.
    I upgraded the folllowing parts :
    - Wheels -> Aliexpress Meroca wheels, cheap and very light (1290g for both)
    - Handle bar -> china lightweight carbon bar cut to 560 mm (93g )
    - Seatpost -> china lightweight carbon seatpost (100 g)
    - Crankset -> Hup crankset 34T 130mm (485g)
    - Fork -> Suntour XCM 20'' air (1850g)
    - pedals -> MELD Kaktus (247g)
    - Cassette -> Shimano 11/34 9 speed (375g)
    - Derailleur -> Shimano deore 9 speed (250g)
    - brakes -> Replaced stock Vbrakes by shimano hydrolic MT200 discs brakes
    - bottom bracket -> shimano BBUN55 - 107mm (280g)
    - Q/R axles -> lighter and red metal (90g)
    - Shifter -> Shimano Alivio 9 speed

The overall weight of the bike is now under 10kg (9,8kg) wich is better than the stock weight but remains however heavy for a 5 y.o kid.

My kid is very proud of his bike and is now able to ride up to 20/25 km (on flat trail) and is more confident on technical parts.

As you can see on the picture the derailleur is a bit long for a small bike. I did'nt manage to find a shorter one compatible with a 9s cassette.
    I wanted to buy a Shimano Zee but it seems only available for 10 speed. Anyone know if it will however be compatible with 9 speed cassette ?

Thanks a lot for the advices i picked up on this forum !
  • 01-02-2020
    ghabe
    Nice build!

Not sure if the 10 speed Zee would work, but I used a 9 speed Shimano 105 short cage rear derailleur with an XTR M970 Rapid Fire shifter on my sonís Trek Superfly 20. It works perfectly. Thatís another option you could look into.
  • 01-03-2020
    Fla
    Thank you Ghabe.
    It seems to be an interesting option that i didn't consider because i was only looking for mountain bike rear derailleur.
    I found a shimano Sora 9s with short or medium cage wich is relativly cheap.
    The short one is compatible up to 32T cassette, so i should have to go with the medium one (up to 34T).
    Well, I think i'm gonna wait until my son breaks its long deore derailleur (if it happens) and consider this option.
  • 01-04-2020
    ghabe
    FYI, I'm running a SRAM PG-970 11-34T cassette with a 30T chainring up front. No issue at all with the Shimano 105 short cage derailleur.