Commencal Ramones 20 and a 6 year old / proper posture- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Commencal Ramones 20 and a 6 year old / proper posture

Hi,

I've been looking for next bike for my son for months. I've read a ton of useful information on this forum and for that I'm truly grateful My son is a rather tall 6 year old. He is 130cm tall with 58cm inseam and about 30kg weight. What I've read is that if I can afford it then keep it small when choosing a MTB bike - even that smaller bike will be to small soon (6 months) since kids grow up fast. We've tried many 24 inch bikes but he was a little to small for them, especially that he didn't ride too much in the past. I was also worried about his crotch when he tried to touch the ground with his feet. So, the planned Commencal Meta HT 24 was planned for his next bike (next year probably).

Commencal 2016 | Meta HT 24

Still I wanted to get him a new bike that is cool, light weight etc. I decided that we can go without gears and front suspension fork. We chose 20 inch wheel ramones 2015 with a great price. I can live with that we will have to change the bike in a few months:

Ramones 20 | Commencal Kids 2015

The bike arrived a week ago and it's great. My son loves it and is hyped to learn and ride a lot. However, when I've lifted up the saddle to make the pedaling easier and for his legs to be almost straight in the most-lower position I got second thoughts. The bike looks like a perfect fit for now (wheels, frame etc). The leg work is not perfect but not that bad either - I guess.

However I think he has a wrong posture while riding - especially his back is too straight and it forces hunching, maybe? It looks like a handlebar is too close to the saddle. At least that's what I think - is the bike too short? I tend to overthink and matter too much Maybe it's perfectly fine - I just really want to hear your opinion.

Maybe I should buy a longer stem to force a proper position? I'm not sure which one though, I found something like this:

https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/72441/05166a.jpg

Please help, what do I do? I'm worried I've made an expensive mistake...

I'm attaching a few pictures.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.
    Last edited by basor; 03-24-2018 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    You're right bike's reach looks short for him.
    It's not that expensive mistake btw, just keep original packaging though , maybe I can buy it from you in near future
    As I also ordered 16" bike for my 5 and half y/o 120cm boy :thinkingsmiley:
    2012 Trek Slash 9
    2012 Trek Session 9.9

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Looks like we are on the same boat. BTW, Ramones 16 looks fantastic. Happy riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Reach does appear a bit short but it's what he's comfortable with to get him started. Slide the seat back on the rails and get a longer stem. Will buy you some time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The seat is all the way back already (very small adjustment was possible). The specs say that the factory stem is 35mm, do you think changing to 60mm would be enough or is it too hard to tell without actually fitting it in?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Too hard to tell without fitting it. Find a shop or some friends that have various sizes for testing purposes. See what it looks like and how it feels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks, I'll try that. Is there any stem length I should not exceed with this kind of bike to maintain proper handling etc?