Commencal Meta HT 24 2020 model year- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Commencal Meta HT 24 2020 model year

Got to assemble one of these for a friend yesterday.
    https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht-24-c2x29149156

Here's some general ramblings about it.

All around, it's a solid offering. The cranks were 152mm. Which is better than the typical 165mm. Came with plastic pedals. Bottom bracket is an old school boat anchor. Tires are not tubeless ready. At least they don't say so on the sidewalls.

The Manitou Junit fork is pretty darn nice! And the integrated mud guard is a nice touch. The overall build of the bike is what you'd expect at this level. Through axle in the front. QR in the rear. Aggressive geometry. Burly.

The bigger tires and that shock will certainly make a difference for the rider. For "trail riding" style rides and bike parks (pump track not chair lift) and generally screwing off. I think it's pretty decent. But you're committed to those tires. A solid upgrade might be a set of Stans and some Brood 2.3's. But to hand to a kid and let him start thrashing it, I was a bit surprised at how nice it was. Next down the food chain would be Prevelo and Frog and Cleary. And next up the food chain would be the Yama Jama. Which is still nicer. It's also 30% more.

Side note: So far I've assembled for friends - Spawn Yama Jamas, Frog 26, Trailcraft 24, Commencal 24, 2 Orbea MX24's. I think I'm forgetting some. It's been interesting to see all these bikes firsthand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commencal Meta HT 24 2020 model year-meta.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Out of curiosity, where do you place the Trailcraft 24 in your "foodchain"? I assume it was a Pineridge?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    Out of curiosity, where do you place the Trailcraft 24 in your "foodchain"? I assume it was a Pineridge?
    In this food chain. From best to worst? Just of the ones I've build. By no means comprehensive of the marketplace. Stock, out of the box, I'd put them in this order.

Trailcraft Pineridge 24 - Best right out of the box. By a decent margin.
    Spawn Yama Yama 24 (we own 2 of these. Both are modified quite a bit)
    2020 Commencal 24
    Orbea MX24 Trail 24
    Frog MTB62 - probably a tie with the Orbea. But with proper cranks.
    Orbea MX 24 (rigid / V brake version)

I guess that's about how I'd rank them. Pretty much right in line with their price points. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The reality is, the more you spend on the original purchase, the less you'll be messing with it down the line.