Child wearing adult helmet - any issues?- Mtbr.com
    G_T
    mtbr member

Child wearing adult helmet - any issues?

My rather large 5 yr old is ready for a new helmet, and we've discovered he has a pretty big head. In fact, he fits my M/L helmet, and not on the smallest setting.

Is there any issues with a child wearing an adult helmet? The TLD A1 classic that he fits into is light and he seems to be comfortable wearing it. It still looks big on his head somehow, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something and should just buy a kids helmet that he'll outgrow in 2 months. Any perspective is appreciated.
    Last edited by G_T; 11-18-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Title didnt' save

Bikes in jeans
    What it looks like is 100% irrelevant IMO if it actually fits. I think the helmet to body size is probably just making it look out of proportion. Adult helmets are generally much higher quality than kids ones, especially if they are MIPS or have other active absorption technology in them. Once a kid fits them I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use an adult helmet permanently for them.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    We bought Bontrager helmets for our kids, and they look exactly like my Bontrager helmet. I don't really think there is a difference so long as it fits right.

EAT MORE GRIME
    if it fits 100% properly, it's fine
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My son also has a massive head (95%-ile at birth) and fit in an adult small sometime before his 3rd birthday. Been using an IDP M1 small and Bell Super 3r small since about 4yo. I highly recommend full face if he's really into riding, every one of his friends w/out one has had a bad face plant, ranging from knocking out a tooth to skull fracture. My son destroyed his Super 3r after one crash this past summer, but I got another because the air flow is so good when it's hot out. The rest of the year the IDP M1 is cheaper and much sturdier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If it fits it's fine. Get something with MIPS or one of the other slip-plane systems, they work.