Cannondale Cujo 20- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Cannondale Cujo 20

Local bike shop has the Cannondale Cujo 20 on sale for $380. Looks like a decent bike to get my 5yo practicing with some gears and lever brakes... Bonus is my daughter likes the color ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pretty long thread on the Cujo 20 here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...d-1076273.html

Overall thoughts: nice frame, OK components -- biggest cheap / easy improvement over stock you can probably make is to swap in a new bottom bracket.

If you're looking at putting money into it to lighten things up, it's probably more cost effective in the long run to go with something like the new Woom Off.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at this one and the Salsa for my kid's next bike. I like the Salsa better for a couple reasons, it has places to put bottles and could take a 27.2 dropper. And the color matches my own bike, which is fun. But I won't be buying for six months and no idea about availability of any given Salsa... while you can always find a Cannondale. The Spesh seems kind of dire and the Trek seems REALLY dire, while the mail order bikes seem too fancy to justify.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Salsa also has tubeless ready WTB rims that are widest tubeless rims I've seen at 20".

From talking with Salsa, though I did determine that the tires are the heavier version of the Chao Yang Sparrow 20x3.0s.

The big thing the Cujo (at least the 2018 version) has going for it is a low bottom bracket and short seat tube, which makes it a good frame option for getting a 4yo on a 20" sooner (particularly if you put on some non-plus tires).

Shut up and ride
    must be a 2019, according to my local Cannondale dealer 2020's are not available yet unless you get race version ($700).

If I was you I'd get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks all for the links and advice. Santa picked up the cujo for my daughter and it was a big hit. The bike is really solid. I can imagine changing out the cable pull brakes for hydros and swap the twist shift for triggers at some point and maybe shave some weight here and there, but overall I’m super impressed with the bike, especially at that price. It looks like it will last several years of heavy use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I swapped out the brakes for hydros and found a 7 speed trigger shifter (see aforementioned thread). For my son, the trigger shifter was absolutely worth it, as he struggled with getting his small hands around the grip shifter. I changed out the brakes before he had a chance to ride it, so I can't say how much better he liked them. The only issue is getting them mounted together as they were never designed to be compatible. We rode yesterday, and he was shifting fine in spite of this limitation, though he has to place his hands way in-board to do it, which means they aren't positioned for optimum braking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Getting things lined up was one reason why I swapped over the 9 speed xt setup from my bike - the XT shifter allows for removing the gear indicator and let me put the brakes and shift levers closer together.

Note that although I've since rebuilt the wheels, the rear cassette worked reasonably well using 8 / 9 cogs on the original hub.