Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night

Had an old workbench from the garage that I'd recently disassembled and figured I'd put some of the parts to better use -- here's what I came up with for our 3 year old to play with on his balance bike (admittedly it was pretty fun on my 29er as well):

For those interested in the construction:

- Started with a bench top that was just a piece of plywood with a 2x4 frame underneath

- For the base I took 2 4x4 beams from the bench legs, screwed in 2 2x4's across them and then screwed another 4x4 across those

- Added a vertical 2x4 at the very middle of the top and 2x8's extending up from the middle beam on the base to keep it captive as it moves back and forth (allows rocking, but prevents both left / right movement and forward / back movement)

- Cut 2 more pieces of scrap plywood to extend the ramp on each side enough to reach the ground (since the overlap was slightly different on each side, the balance is uneven enough that it returns back to it's original position after each tilt)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ha, my kids love this stuff. We have a bunch of ramps, skinnys, 2x4, plywood stuff, tables etc. Many are small enough for my 6yo and his buddies to move around so they end up making their own improvised skate park for bikes or scooters. It's like Legos.

We watch old Jackson Goldstone YouTube stuff and that little dude was doing crazy stuff just on his strider bike and homemade stuff like this. Pretty cool. Nice work there Dad

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool!
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Had an old workbench from the garage that I'd recently disassembled and figured I'd put some of the parts to better use
    That is so great! I love the baby chatter-- haha, I forget how much clearer kids' speech gets between 3 and 5.5!

@svinyard I'd love to see what you've done! I've got some stuff laying out front as well-- maybe we should start a thread of "home obstacles" ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rabitoblanco View Post
    That is so great! I love the baby chatter-- haha, I forget how much clearer kids' speech gets between 3 and 5.5!

@svinyard I'd love to see what you've done! I've got some stuff laying out front as well-- maybe we should start a thread of "home obstacles" ?
    That's a great idea, I'll have to dig up some pics of our training stuff. Some is built and some is natural or built by some real trail builders in the neighborhood. If you build it all the other kids will show up. We just met 2 other kids and family's when I found their kids riding with my 6yo. They had spread the Ramps out about 5ft. Other kids just push your kid so much better. I'll have to find pics of our other stuff. There is a bunch of rock drops and legit stuff other trail builders have made in the area too. I walked out and saw them spreading the ramps out and thought I'd grab a pic for Grandma and the boy.
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-screenshot_20180506-153807.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Added some more ramps

First test of the extension I build for our Landwave ramps with my 3.5yo riding (his 1.5yo brother is the one getting excited in the background).

After we did a few test runs I moved the second set of ramps a bit closer to allow pumping through.

Build in progress:
    Notches in the first plank and ends of each side to lock in with the Landwave ramps:
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181007_142905802.jpg

Putting the planks in place -- each is supported by 2x3 uprights with a 2x3 support perpendicular to the plank:
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181007_145416303.jpg
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181007_151405191.jpg

Making sure everything sturdy:
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181007_152311056.jpg

Ready to drop in place:
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181007_153045789.jpg

Lessons learned:
    - Even though the extra set of ramps were only $50 used, with the extra effort it took to add in the locking mechanism I might have been better off to just build the whole thing out of wood.

- The transition between ramps is slightly higher than I'd intended, since I didn't account for how much more the plastic ramps would sink into the grass vs. 2x4's.

- The incline is a little higher than I'd planned -- laying things out some thin scraps of planks sideways seemed like a good idea for playing around with the angles for the design, but it just didn't look as steep on its side as it does when finished.

-bustin punks
    We've been building too - lots of fun recycling the old material from around the yard - and scouring craigslist for fun props

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A few more projects for the weekend:

Extended the rollers:
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181020_135713077_hdr.jpg

Added a new hill to conquer. Mixed up the difficulty a little from what I originally had in mind (20░ instead of 20% grade), but it was meant to add some challenge to the loop and we can still get up it so no harm done.
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181021_183639301_hdr.jpg

In progress shot of the hill (most of the construction done using kreg jig HD screws):
    Built a bike ramp / teeter totter last night-img_20181021_152525183_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome dude!