Biking to school?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Biking to school?

For anyone here who invests a lot in their kid's bikes, do your kids bike to school?

If so, do they ride the same bike to school as they do on trails, or do you have something cheaper for them to take with them & leave locked up outside?

We're still 2 years away from elementary school, but I'm thinking about just how many spaces I'm going to want for our garage bike rack when I expand it in the spring.

Snow Dog
    I always rode my BMX bike to school as a kid...

I don't think I would want a kid riding a bike with tons of expensive, or even inexpensive, but tough to maintain, parts on it. Probably more than theft, idiotic vandalism occurs and there is more damage from that.

"Joey" is mad about something at school, so he walks by the bike rack and stomps on a wheel, or yanks a cable off...this used to happen a lot at my school...I would always see bikes twisted up in some fashion...

I think a good "beater" bike would be best for school use...go to a bike co op, or second hand bike shop and get something there
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not a chance. I'm not nearly as worried about other kids tearing it up as I am someone cutting the cable and running off with it. He's asked, a bunch. I've thought about picking up a cheap BMX for him to ride, but their school is so close it almost isn't worth it. I wish he could ride his trail bike to school but anything nice would stick out like a sore thumb with what's currently in the bike rack over there... it's not pretty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Used BMX. It'll often make them a better rider than any MTB would as well if they ride it. 100-150$ gets you a nice ride that they need anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Not a chance!

Bikes in jeans
    We got a used BMX as well. A nice bike at a school isn't going to last long.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

turtles make me hot
    My son had asked about biking to school but there was no way his 29+ 9 Zero 7 was getting left on a rack all day. I bought him a used Cannondale to use for school for 100 bucks. He rode it twice. I ended up giving it to my mom's boyfriend.

Now my son has some Razor scootor with 6" wheels he uses for school.
    I like turtles

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My son had asked about biking to school but there was no way his 29+ 9 Zero 7 was getting left on a rack all day. I bought him a used Cannondale to use for school for 100 bucks. He rode it twice. I ended up giving it to my mom's boyfriend.

Now my son has some Razor scootor with 6" wheels he uses for school.
    oh gawd....not a scooter!!! (referencing the never ending battle between scooter kids and everyone else at skateparks)

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    oh gawd....not a scooter!!! (referencing the never ending battle between scooter kids and everyone else at skateparks)
    Lol yeah. Scooters man... it's not the tool per se but the idiotic parents that just turn their kids loose with no park edicate. They drop in anywhere and everywhere and incessantly stand on the top of features.

No scooters for us, when my kid is 16 trying to get a date with some girl at the park, he'll thank me then that he ain't riding some dorky scooter lol.

turtles make me hot
    We have zero skate parks here on LI. WHY he'd rather scooter than bike is beyond me but at least it beats walking.
    I like turtles

Bikes in jeans
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I didn't even realize this existed but saw a view a few weeks ago of a popular skatepark and it was like 75% scooters. Was thinking that s*** wouldn't have flown when I was in high school...
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    We have zero skate parks here on LI. WHY he'd rather scooter than bike is beyond me but at least it beats walking.
    I don't really have anything against scooters...it is usually more the parents who are letting their kids ride like that and are oblivious to the dynamic of the park....we can all share, but it can become ridiculous at times.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    There isn't a universal answer to this. It depends on how dangerous the ride to school is, what the risk of theft is, whether the bikes are out in the rain, how much the bike is worth. Only you can do the math and decide.

None of my kids cycled to school as there was no adequate bike storage at the school. They actually spent a lot on large shelters but they were out of sight of the school and unlocked. The fact the shelters were vandalised says it all.

Seeker of Dirt
    My kids ride cheap $25 craigslist finds to school for all the reasons others have posted.
    And at the end of the day, she smelled of dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I try not to ride my race bike into town when I go for lunch, I take my beater Peugeot.

How else can we teach our children the way of n+1?