BikeHard brand bike???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BikeHard brand bike???

Has anyone heard or have any experience with this brand? Im looking for a 24" wheeled MTB for my daughter, and there is one on Craigslist for a decent price. Ive just never heard of them, and are wondering if they are any good?

Its an older version of this: https://bikehard.com/product/battle-24/

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I wouldn't bother. That is essentially a department store bike.

If you're looking for dirt cheap, I'd look at a Raleigh Rowdy 24". No shock but 2+lbs lighter.

From there the general pecking order is this (I'm sure I'm missing several)

Trek 24" Superfly
    Diamond Back 24"
    Cleary Meerkat (sold out currently)
    Norco 24"
    Orbea MX24 (even the cheapest one is a nice bike for the $$)
    Comencial 24"
    Prevelo ZULU - (also sold out currently)
    Spawn Yama Jama 24"
    Trailcraft - You know you want one!

alternatively you can check the Kids MTB database.

https://mtbwithkids.com/kids-mountain-bikes-database/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looks like a generic Chinese no-name brand. As in they get a bunch of cheapo components and brand them. Probably the same thing as you'll see at Costco or Walmart.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

Basically I am looking for something with a light frame and a front shock with 24" wheels. She rides pretty hard and is currently on a 20" wheeled Specialized hot rock.

There are several local 24" bikes on my local craigslist. Everything from Performance Raven to Specialized Rip Rock. I hope to spend under $200 for a decent frame, fork and wheels, and then Ill dig thru the parts bin to lighten it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    For what it's worth, having seen several other threads of people trying to do the same thing. If she rides hard, and I realize budgets are a real factor, you might consider a few other things.

The vast majority of kids bikes out there come with garbage shocks and the wheels, well, they're not very good either.

You might just start looking at used bikes for the frame alone. Something aluminum with disc brake tabs (for compatibility and easier braking control) and a standard BB shell and seat post size. The shocks on the low end (sub $700 new) bikes hurt things more than help. They barely move and they weigh upwards of 4lbs. So you can add an air shock upgrade to your list (or modified SID or whatever).

Hardtail Steel Forever
    What price is the used one?

It basically has the exact same components that low-end mainstream Specialized, Trek, etc., come with.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Again, Thanks for the replies.

Here is the add for the used one: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...535287559.html

Its $100.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Again, Thanks for the replies.

Here is the add for the used one: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...535287559.html

Its $100.
    If it's under 30 lbs, it's almost identical to what you would get with a Specialized Hotrock or other equivalent for roughly the same cost used. A few of the newer models dropped down to ~25 lbs, but basically anything with a suspension fork and V brakes comes in at roughly 27 - 29 lbs.

mtbr member
    Thanks! The only thing I REALLY don't like about it, is that it looks like it has a freewheel instead of a cassette.

I wonder if a Hotrock 24 would be the same thing....

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Thanks! The only thing I REALLY don't like about it, is that it looks like it has a freewheel instead of a cassette.

I wonder if a Hotrock 24 would be the same thing....
    They're all 7 speed as well. Almost nothing until you get to the 700+ range has a normal freehub.

mtbr member
    bummer. I guess I can build up a set of wheels for it...

Don't tell my wife, but My plans are to upgrade my main bike to 1x11 or 12, and then put the 3x9 X0 stuff on whatever I buy my daughter. My 10 year old has a full XTR bike done the same way... LOL

Hardtail Steel Forever
    bummer. I guess I can build up a set of wheels for it...

Don't tell my wife, but My plans are to upgrade my main bike to 1x11 or 12, and then put the 3x9 X0 stuff on whatever I buy my daughter. My 10 year old has a full XTR bike done the same way... LOL
    If you go through all our build threads on lower end kids bikes, you'll see we all share your reaction to unnecessary 7 speed nonsense.

mtbr member
    Looks like this Hotrock has a cassette....

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...571157451.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Even if it has a cassette, count the gears. 7sp cassettes use a different shorter freehub body that will not accept 8-9-10-11 sp cassettes.
    The one linked to above seems to have only 7 speeds.

Buy any bike with at least 8sp and you are good to go with the trickle down upgrades.

The cheapest Orbea MX24 can be found for around $400 with 8sp.

mtbr member
    ooh. Good point. I forgot the free hubs are shorter on 7 speed. Looks like a rear hub swap will have to happen no matter what on any 7 speed....

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007

Appears to be a low end HARDrock, 26inch wheeled bike, not HOTrock
    This is why it has X4 rear derailleur rather than the usual Tourney junk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't understand all this worry about freehub vs cassette and upgrading what not. My kids ride their bikes for a year or two at most and then they go on to a bigger bike. Used kids bikes off craigslist are easy to find and typically run anywhere from $100-150 for a good one. My bikes of choice are the GT Scamp (20-24") Specialized Hot Rock (20-24") or something similar. Though suspension isn't mandatory it's nice to have. What is required is a standard pinch stem (not quill) grip shift and quick release wheels. Some other brands like REI and Diamondback have similar spec'd kids bikes.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    I don't understand all this worry about freehub vs cassette and upgrading what not. My kids ride their bikes for a year or two at most and then they go on to a bigger bike.
    Lots of us have parts bins... or like the OP have a cunning plan to upgrade our own bike and use the parts on the kids bike.

If your kid rides to school etc. then it really doesn't matter but if you want to go for "real rides" (as in trails not park) then 24" is about when with a lighter bike the kids can more or less keep up and ride the distance. (Certainly it's something very possible between getting the 24 and the "next bike" if that's the aim)

Wheels are potentially a big deal... especially if the plan is to reuse parts.

Grip shift is usually love or hate.... my kid has never had any problem at all on trigger and wasn't happy when he went from trigger to grip for a few weeks... whereas other kids seem to prefer them. (I don't think it's any different with adults though)

More generally ... points to watch for upgrades (all obvious but often retrospectively so worth mentioning)
    1) Hubs and hence wheels are either disk or not...
    2) Frames are pretty much disk or not (yep you can get converters but...)
    3) Headset or down tubes on the frame are not changing.. so your stuck with what you get

Most of the rest can be changed but these 3 potential gotcha's seem to cover a whole load of bikes.

If I was buying again today (with perfect 20/20 hindsight) I'd probably find the cash and buy a $1000 bike .. but of course at the time you probably don't know if the kid is going to take to it like a duck to water or next week have a completely different interest.

This also seems to coincide with 24" sized bikes... cripes when my kid was 5-6 he had a new best friend every week...as well as new favourite everything else every week.

He's now 8 and his hobbies and friends for that matter are more settled...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If your kid really rides hard, it's a great idea to invest in that even if you overspend a bit. The Rocky Mountain Vertex 24" is the best and cheapest hardtail you'll find. It's about 750$. Anything less than that will have an entirely useless coil front fork that weighs like 5lbs and literally does nothing.

If cheap is the only way, then go for a used BMX bike like Fit Misfit or Cult Juvenile for 200$. Those things are awesome.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies!

I think I have a bit of a game plan...

Find a bike in the 100-150 range. Swap in a rear cassette hub. Most are 36 hole, so Ill lace it with 24 spokes. My 65 pound daughter doesn't need 36 spokes.

I found a performance Raven for $60. That will at least give me an aluminum frame and she loves the way it looks. Then once she outgrows it, daughter #2 can have it.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Thanks for all the replies!

I think I have a bit of a game plan...

Find a bike in the 100-150 range. Swap in a rear cassette hub. Most are 36 hole, so Ill lace it with 24 spokes. My 65 pound daughter doesn't need 36 spokes.

I found a performance Raven for $60. That will at least give me an aluminum frame and she loves the way it looks. Then once she outgrows it, daughter #2 can have it.
    Yeah, if you have another kid lined up for it, it definitely makes more sense to upgrade the rear wheel. With an Al frame and swapping some basic components, bars, seat and post, stem, you can usually drop quite a bit for cheap.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the Raven last night. $50. Its 30.54 pounds, but that should easily come down. I will start a build thread...

BikeHard brand bike???-img_2276.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BikeHard brand bike???-img_2276.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    You canít lose out for $50