best advice for a small kid to bunny hop a 27.5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

best advice for a small kid to bunny hop a 27.5?

so my kid is 13 years old, and hes tiny, i've been trying to help him learn how to bunny hop but he says "i just cant get the back wheel up." any advice? his bike is the womans DRT 1.1 ina meduim, and he can bunny hop on to benches with his bmx.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Granny_Gear View Post
    so my kid is 13 years old, and hes tiny, i've been trying to help him learn how to bunny hop but he says "i just cant get the back wheel up." any advice? his bike is the womans DRT 1.1 ina meduim, and he can bunny hop on to benches with his bmx.
    By "tiny" how do you mean, how tall? If he's on a M size 27.5 (and tiny) is it simply a case of a bike that's just too big for him?

Everything is easier on smaller wheels I've found in watching my kids grow through bike sizes, except for carrying speed and rolling over trail obstacles (again, at speed).

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    By "tiny" how do you mean, how tall? If he's on a M size 27.5 (and tiny) is it simply a case of a bike that's just too big for him?

Everything is easier on smaller wheels I've found in watching my kids grow through bike sizes, except for carrying speed and rolling over trail obstacles (again, at speed).
    he's 5'1" and about 80 pounds.. he was able to bunnyhhop a 26" roadbike but not this... would spinning weight matter?

the reason he has a M is because he bought it from his older sister since she was moving and couldn't take it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is just a matter of the big being to big for him. Tell him to give it some time, it will come. A road bike is a completely different animal than the MTB. They are twitchy and lightweight compared to the 27.5 mtb.