balance bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: balance bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

balance bike

Anyone have experience with joystar products? I'm thinking of getting the 10" roller balance bike for my 1.5 year old nephew.

https://www.joystarbike.com/joystar/...0Balance%20055

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    According to the Amazon Q&A's, the lowest seat height on the 10" model is 13", which really isn't all that different than the Vitus Nippy, which is about the same price and significantly lighter since it uses an aluminum frame:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod161502

mtbr member
    At 1.5 I think a ride on toy would be more appropriate. Hold off on bike til 2.

I got my first kid a Strider at 1.5. He didn't take to the bike at first, he was much more thrilled with the bulldozer his great aunt bought him. He didn't really get the idea til 2 and wasn't good at it til 2.5. He needed air tires and brakes by 3, and I needed to get him a better bike (I actually got him a 12 in BMX and took the crank off). At 4 he was more than ready for a 16er pedal bike.

The twins now almost 3 are a strange case. I thought I'd learned my lesson with kid 1 and was going to avoid buying more bikes but it didn't work. The boy twin is huge for his age but still wasn't big enough for that BMX. He's more timid than the first kid. So he's still on that same Strider and looks like a circus bear but isn't doing anything to warrant an upgrade. The girl has a bigger bike with a brake (Muna, thought it would be good but can't recommend it), she can't reach the brake, but she's much braver and will need to learn sooner... not sure what to do about that.

The Strider is a well thought out design though I think some of the newer bikes are better now. It's also well made, with sealed bearings and powder coated frame. It's good enough to leave outdoors through toddlerhood and expect it to still work. The plastic tires are a problem when the kid goes faster but when starting out they're very lightweight and they never need air. You should get the "Sport" not the "Classic" if you do.

Not sure about this thing Joystar thing. It doesn't look too dire. If you do get it, take the tupperware off it, it's just in the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't even thought about checking the seat height on the 10" bike. I think I'll take Darth's advice and get him the vitus as a birthday gift instead of Hanukkah. 4.x lbs! That's crazy light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't even thought about checking the seat height on the 10" bike. I think I'll take Darth's advice and get him the vitus as a birthday gift instead of Hanukkah. 4.x lbs! That's crazy light.
    The crazy thing is that the seat and wheels aren't even all that light -- it adds almost nothing to swap out for a lightweight set of air tires and you could put on a lighter saddle with an even lower height:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...e-1100358.html

Shut up and ride
    We went w/Strider Sport for his 1st birthday (Winter). He started using it in summer @ 1.5 y/o. And pretty much didn't stop using until we bought him a pedal bike @ 3.5 y/o which he took off on 1st try (no training wheels). We also when he was 3 updated to the heavier rubber wheels.balance bike-alex_strider.jpgbalance bike-alex_striderwinter.jpg

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    If you are really serious about a good quality balance bike pick up a woom 1 or a Park Cycles balance bike, both come with hand control brakes to help your little one develop good habits for braking early on. I got my son a specialized hotwalk and it had no breaks so he learned to stop by dragging his feet. I bought a kit and installed a bmx rim brake and he is taking to it quote well but still wants to drag his feet.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines