Assistance Spec'ing New 24" Parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Assistance Spec'ing New 24" Parts

Morning,
    I was hoping the forum might be able to assist a rather new bike enthusist spec new parts for his(my) son's new MTB.

MTB in question,
    https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/frame...ke-231762.html

It's not the greatest bike but I just got him the Cannondale Quick 24" 2months ago and couldn't justify another large purchase. From my research, Framed is a reliable company and for the price, it seems like a good bike to use as both my and my son's intro into bike mod'ing.

Parts I was thinking about upgrading,

Fork: RST F1rst 24"
    Questions: Does anyone see why this wouldn't work? Also, where would you suggest I source this from?

Stem: TBD
    Questions: Any recommendations? The current stem seems a bit to long and my son's arms look a bit uncomfortable.

Breaks: TBD
    Questions: Any recommendations?

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions if anyone sees any specific part that could use an upgrade.

Thank for any and all input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trying to see if I understand correctly -- you just got a Cannondale Quick 24" 2 months ago, but you're looking at getting a second 24" bike?

What kind of riding do you do / what are you seeing as limitations on his current bike (other than fit)?

For short stems, we've been using Wren 40mm stems (~70g / $40 on ebay). Kalloy Uno stems also tend to be get good reviews and a little cheaper, but slightly heavier (~110g / $20).

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yes, I got him the Quick 24" earlier this summer as most of our riding at the time was on long distance paved trails. Since then, we started MTB'ing 1-2 times a week and I see obvious drawbacks with the Quick 24". The drawbacks mainly being the lack of suspension (1.5" tires) and the brakes (v-brakes).

I picked up the Framed Cable Youth 24" this weekend as I saw it on-sale ($160) and planned on swapping out some of the stock components.

Thanks for the stem recommendation, I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Along with a shorter stem, shorter cranks should help out with comfort.

The 165mm cranks on the Framed are significantly longer than he probably needs -- the Cannondale is only 145mm, which is much more appropriate for that age.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Trailcraft 140mm cranks with a 28T chainring + Shimano XT bottom bracket. Proper crank length is a huge deal for rider fatigue.

The RST fork "should" work

Brakes - Use the stock ones until they fail.

SRAM GX rear derailleur will help keep the chain on the chainring.

Wheels....Well there are several choices there. And it will cut pounds of rotating mass.

Cheap Wellgo alloy pedals https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Alloy-...a-568851762682

Those stock tires are almost hazardous......Almost zero bite. Brood 24 inch tires would give some volume and likely cut weight. Alternatives would be Schwalbe Rocket Rons. There are others out there.

This is a slippery slope. You're likely to wind up replacing everything but the frame eventually. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I purchased the WAKE 45mm stem yesterday as it was well reviewed and available via prime. I'm hoping that allows my son to have a slight bend at his elbows.

I really appreciate the crank suggestions. I hadn't even thought of or fully understood the impact that improper length cranks could have until now. I'm going to try and source new ones today. As for the bottom bracket, i have limited knowledge of how to spec or install one. Would the linked bracket theoretically fit the Framed Youth Cable 24"?

The tires were also a concern of mine. Very odd tread. Would you suggest replacing the rim too or would the existing rims suffice?

I'll leave the brakes and try to tune them.

Still trying to source a 24" air fork that would fit. Framed support said the RST F1rst would theoretically fit but I'm having a hard time sourcing one. Local bike shops aren't even seeing them in their database.

I really appreciate all the help so far. I understood that I'd likely end up spending just as much or more to MOD this bike but at the time, needed something for a camping trip and wasn't seeing anything good in the local used market. The darn Vitus was always OOS too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm assuming the BB shell on the bike is standard. And an XT bottom bracket is as standard as they come. The Trailcraft cranks are also compatible with that BB I linked.

The chainring for those Trailcraft cranks is also a narrow/wide style that helps keep the chain on the chainring over bumpy terrain.

Here's a source for a variety of parts.
    https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...ry/components/

More parts
    https://spawncycles.com/components

The fork. What I believe you need is a non-tapered 24in air shock that's disc compatible and QR compatible. Non boost. You may want to call RST. It's last generation sizing, so it might be challenging to locate.

Wheels....will lead to a new cassette and brake rotors or adapters....But It would be one of the first things I would attack. It will drop more than a pound from the bike.

Honestly, by the time you add all of this up, you might want to sell the existing bike on Craigslist for $100.00

Because doing some loose math:

Fork $350?-475
    Wheels $3-400?
    Cassette $45
    Cranks with BB $175
    Tires $90
    Stem $40
    pedals $25

+ brain damage.

Without touching the drivetrain/shifters or brakes. And you'll end up with a frame that's decent but doesn't have ideal geometry for handling well. This path mostly works for folks who have a lot of spare parts lying around they can transfer over to the affordable kids bike.

Commencal 24inch $950?
    Spawn Yama Jama $1250?
    Trailcraft $1500?

Not to mention several others which are less expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Suntour 24 air lo fork isn't bad and only about $135 when on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think Sacto laid it out well. It looks like the Vitus Nucleus 24 may be discontinued...they are selling a new 24" Rigid Plus tire bike.

Norco and Rocky Mountain are doing a pretty damn good job on their 24" hardtails (Norco Charger and RM Vertex). Around 730$. Double check the crank length on both. Rocky's is like 155 or 152mm if I recall. Hopefully Norco is is closer to 140mm. I like Rocky's bike better but the fork has less travel and the cranks are long...so hard to say which is ideal I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I really appreciate all the input, i'm amazed by the depth of knowledge here. I may just offload the Framed 24" now that I have a better understanding around how much $$$ and effort would go into upgrading the parts. I spent more time than I care to admit trying to find more appropriate sized cranks that would fit a BB30 only to find they pretty much don't exist. Theoretically I could get a BB30 shim/adapter but didn't dig to much into it.

Completely crazy thought.. what's the chance that I could build a set of plus/fat wheels for his Cannondale Quick 24"?

Assuming I get rid of the Framed 24" and can't hack together a pair of plus tires for his Quick 24".. The Rocky Mtn. bikes seem nice and the brand has always appealed to me. Just wish the local dealer carried them so we could see them first.