Armour for a 5 Year Old (on the avg side size wise)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Armour for a 5 Year Old (on the avg side size wise)

Hi all,

My oldest who is turning 5 in less than a month and has been riding a proper bike for awhile and imho is quite good for his age: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8YaPuV5Lb9jyYovm6

Thing is where do i start with armour and such? Seems to be a massive gap in the market?

He is keen to get out on the trails with me as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    what type of riding are you looking for... if DH gear, recommend trying your local dirt bike dealer to try pads, gloves, etc.

- Fox pewee titan is good for that age: https://www.foxracing.com/moto/youth/guards/

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Troy Lee's Shock Shirt Jr is awesome in person and covers everything. Kids seem to take a lot of handlebars in the guts so I like that it also covers that as well. Not cheap but its proper armor to a degree and the fitment looks good.

We have some demon armor jacket and its ok, but its not long enough and the rib/chest protection is very limited.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    .. if DH gear, recommend trying your local dirt bike dealer to try pads, gloves, etc.
    Yup, second that!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My kids have been wearing the fox pee wee knee guards for awhile now and have never had any complaints about them. They stay put quite nicely. They found the pee wee elbow pads a little uncomfortable, but did wear them for awhile as well. Now they both use ixs elbow pads which I think are fantastic, though they seem to run a tad small. They can be easily stretched out if needed.

mtbr member
    yeah the biggest challenge so far is to find places which stock these items in australia.

im off to canada in august and might need to pick up some stuff there.

~~~~~~~~
    Too bad your not local to me, we've got hand me downs. Moto pants is a good one, mine always rides in his, often no pads underneath. We've scored deals and donations. Also elbow pads worn as knee pads works for us. IXS has got a good kid line, got their skid short and a padded shirt.

Whistler will have a good selection but big money when they are out growing stuff. Worth it to check the Re Use It store.