anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?

The 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24 is one of the bikes on the top of my list, but the website says pre-order until May. I called them this morning and they confirmed that it was accurate. They also said they don't have stocking dealers.

So, does anyone know of a shop that actually does have one, even though Commencal says no?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To my knowledge Commencal sells consumer direct only. May availability is a long time to wait for a kids bike when there are lots of awesome kids bikes out there that are available now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I agree May is a long wait. The customer service person at Commencal said maybe could arrive in April, but honestly, with Wuhan virus shutting down much of China, I'm wondering if it will be longer than May.

However, the Commencal is the longest wheelbase 24" tire bike with a tapered headset frame, and it comes with a good fork for $999.

The Spawn is nice but it is 1.5" shorter in wheelbase and $300 more.

The Trailcraft is nice but it is 1.5" shorter and a 1 1/8 head tube and almost $400 more.

The Prevelo is nice and it is slightly longer but it is a 1 1/8 head tube and is also out of stock.

The Norco and Rocky Mountain have decent frame geometry, but short wheelbase, and for the price the component spec just doesn't compare to the Commencal.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    I agree May is a long wait. The customer service person at Commencal said maybe could arrive in April, but honestly, with Wuhan virus shutting down much of China, I'm wondering if it will be longer than May.

However, the Commencal is the longest wheelbase 24" tire bike with a tapered headset frame, and it comes with a good fork for $999.

The Spawn is nice but it is 1.5" shorter in wheelbase and $300 more.

The Trailcraft is nice but it is 1.5" shorter and a 1 1/8 head tube and almost $400 more.

The Prevelo is nice and it is slightly longer but it is a 1 1/8 head tube and is also out of stock.

The Norco and Rocky Mountain have decent frame geometry, but short wheelbase, and for the price the component spec just doesn't compare to the Commencal.

Thanks.
    Curious, what's the aversion to 1 1/8 head tube and the shorter wheelbase? Tapered headset, steerer tube, and bigger tapered head tubes all add unnecessary weight. The 1 1/8 will create a lighter bike, that's probably the reason these companies are using it. The other brands you mentioned are 3-4 pounds lighter than the Commencal. The Vee 2.6" tires are 800+ grams, which is a lot of weight.

If you guys are riding mostly parks/lifts, the Commencal is a great bike since it is heavier and longer. If you are riding more trails involving ups and downs, the shorter wheelbase/lighter bikes might be a better option as an all-arounder.

Just my .02c!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Curious, what's the aversion to 1 1/8 head tube and the shorter wheelbase? Tapered headset, steerer tube, and bigger tapered head tubes all add unnecessary weight. The 1 1/8 will create a lighter bike, that's probably the reason these companies are using it. The other brands you mentioned are 3-4 pounds lighter than the Commencal. The Vee 2.6" tires are 800+ grams, which is a lot of weight.

If you guys are riding mostly parks/lifts, the Commencal is a great bike since it is heavier and longer. If you are riding more trails involving ups and downs, the shorter wheelbase/lighter bikes might be a better option as an all-arounder.

Just my .02c!
    I do appreciate the input, thanks!

We don't do any parks or lifts, we ride about 70% trails and 30% asphalt. His current bike, which is a Trek MT220, up until Christmas, was 30.5 lbs. On that bike at 30.5 lbs, he was able to climb nearly every trail we ride locally, in the 32T front chain ring (middle) and the 24T or 24T rear gear (7 speed 13-34). For Christmas I bought him some Rocket Ron 24x2.1 tires, and we removed the kickstand, and those things combined cut the weight down to 28.5 lbs. Previously he had 24x1.95 Kenda 849 tires, and when we weighed them they were about 850 grams each. Also with the RRs he can climb much better, he climbs most hills in the 32/21 or 32/24 gears.

The Rocket Ron 24x2.1 is very light and he has been happy with them while riding around the neighborhood, but on the trails, the Rocket Rons don't work in our trail conditions very well. The RR tires climb fine if it is dry, and corner fine if it is dry, but that is not so frequent at this time of year. The front tire slides a lot if he carries speed into corners even in dryer conditions. Honestly, the Kenda 849s were better in poor conditions for cornering and roots (which we have a lot of) but the Kendas were lousy climbers and on asphalt compared to the RRs. Really the RRs looked great on paper and while reading this website, but in real life, they haven't worked so well for us. Also with the Trek, I at this point just about hate those rim brakes. Every time we hit a mud hole or wet conditions, the brakes suffer significantly and dirt and sand get caught in the pads and make noise. We hit mud holes or wet areas on nearly every trail both uphill and down.

The Commencal is 25.5 lbs (according to the website) and the skinwall 24x2.6 tires are 750 grams according to Commencals website. These are heavier than the Rocket Rons but still lighter than he has ridden in the past. Also, tires are changeable, frame geometry really is not. I would have no problem swapping them to a lighter and narrower tire if he couldn't manage them, but honestly, I think he will be able to. Swapping to smaller tires could cut about a pound and going tubeless will likely cut another .5 lbs. Frankly, I would not have a problem slowing his down on the climbs a little since we would be able to stay closer together. On the descents though, I think I can remove the tires and he would still beat me down the hill on bare rims, so having a bigger tire with a margin of safety for when I can no longer physically see him (which is often) seems like a plus.

My son turned 9 at the end of November and is just under 55" tall and he has not had a growth spurt recently, so I expect one soon (like the next day after I place the order). His sister is 7 and is only about 46" tall. I figure with a larger 24 I can get 2-2.5 years out of it for my son before my daughter is big enough to ride it, and then she can ride it at least 4 or 5 years. She is likely to not be taller than 5'1" per the charts. Hence the desire for the large 24" frame.

My aversion to the 1 1/8 head tube is because I want to have the bike last, and if it ever needs a new fork, the better forks currently come in tapered steerers. In 5 years from now, I think tapered fork availability will be even more prevalent.

I'll attach an image of my spreadsheet I did for comparing the bikes. Honestly, for the price, if the Norco Charger 24 or Rocky Mountain Vertex 24 were 30-35mm longer, I would have already ordered one. The Commencal is at the top of my list. Prevelo Zulu Four and Heir are second and third because of the wheelbase and components. Spawn Yama Jama 24 is tied for fourth with the Norco and Rocky Mountain, and likely the Norco or Rocky Mountain would win on price and I would do some immediate upgrades.

For the $999 price though, the Commencal has nearly everything I would want on my own bike except for a thru axle rear hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?-mt220-bike-comparison.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do appreciate the input, thanks!

For the $999 price though, the Commencal has nearly everything I would want on my own bike except for a thru axle rear hub.
    Sweet, that's a great spreadsheet and a great resource!

The 44 head tube wouldn't bother me, you could always add a 44 lower headset cup to run a tapered fork in the future. Tapered forks have been around longer than 15+ years without the obsolescence of 1 1/8, so I don't think we will ever see them go away. I do think the weight savings is for real if you have a really light kid.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s-external-cup

At 55" I'd be looking at 26" or 27.5", for him but that's just me. There are pretty big performance gains by moving up to bigger wheels at that height. The Commencal is a BIG 24, and your daughter might not fit it well until she is probably 51-52" tall. That's a lot of front end height on a 24" hardtail!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Actually I'm glad that you posted the Meta HT 24 would be a big bike. It made me think about it and go take a bunch of measurements. I put the measurements in Solidworks in order to do a side by side of the Commencal Meta HT24 vs the Spawn Yama Jama 24 vs my son's MT220 with an AC height set to 476mm (Manitou Markhor 120mm fork).

In doing so, the MT220 with a 476 AC fork is nearly identical to the Meta HT 24 with exception of bottom bracket location and seat tube angle.

The Yama Jama 24 is much shorter than the MT220 with 476 AC fork, and the bottom bracket/seat tube again are very different.

In the images, the MT220 with fork are the grey lines and the Commencal / Spawn are the blue lines.

This makes me think the Commencal is still the right bike, but I'm going to look around a little and see if there is a 26 that might work as well before I spend the money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?-mt220-vs-spawn.jpg  

anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?-mt220-vs-commencal.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Also, 44mm headet to me would be as good as a tapered headset, but I can't tell which are 44mm and which are older 1.125".

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also, 44mm headet to me would be as good as a tapered headset, but I can't tell which are 44mm and which are older 1.125".

Thanks
    Cool, yeah any time a 120mm travel fork is used on a 24" you can pretty much guarantee it will be a big bike. Everything just gets taller, longer, and will require more standover. I think all on your list (non-tapered) have 44 head tubes. Any time you can't see 12-15mm of headset protruding out of the head tube, you know the bearings are inset inside the frame. Pretty much everyone went this direction several years ago, it reduces stack height by a good 20-30mm' by putting bearings inside the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I noticed that you didn't include the Islabikes Creig in your analysis. My son has ridden hard on his and I plan on sizing up to the 27.5 this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I did not look at the Islabikes because it can't be purchased in the USA. I have heard of it before and have seen reviews of it, but it can't be purchased here so I didn't spend any time on it.

Also, I just went and looked at it, and I can't find any geometry on their website. I did find some geometry on two wheeling tots, which say 69.5 head angle, 395mm chainstay, 952mm wheelbase, and 74 degree seat angle, so those numbers are in the range of all the other bikes. However, at 952mm wheelbase, the bike is shorter than my sons Trek at 985mm wheelbase, so I probably would not buy it for that reason, just based on his current size.

Thanks.

SCLIZARD
    Jul 2018
    Great chart!! What about the 2019 model Commencal Meta HT? I believe they are showing as available on the website..

Also, I was looking at the Framed Cable 24 and was unable to find geometry specs anywhere.. I even called Framed and they said they didn't have any listed??? Where did you get that info?

Thanks

Shut up and ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks!

The 2019 Meta HT on the website is a Jr instead of a 24, and it has 27.5 tires. I am half considering that bike but I'm worried it will be too big for him, and frankly, my daughter won't be able to use a 27.5 for a long time.

The Framed Cable geometry actually came from their website. All my numbers came from the manufacturer websites with exception of the Cleary Scout 24 wheelbase, that number I could not find, and it came from one of the bike review websites. However, I did begin the spreadsheet more than a year ago, and the data used to be on the Framed website. I just went and looked and the Cable 24 isn't even on the Framed website anymore? I guess they are no longer making it?

For a disc brake bike the Cable 24 looks like a pretty good option, my primary reason for knocking it out was because I want a shorter chainstay then the MT220 for the tight turns we have on our local NC trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks. I actually already contacted them last week, but they don't have any either.

SCLIZARD
    Jul 2018
    Well that stinks didn't catch they wheel size was 27.5.

I was contemplating getting one of the Trailcraft Timber 26" that is on sale on Trailcrafts website... but I think my 7 year old is still about a year or so out from that size yet.. still looks to be a great buy.

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...2019-closeout/

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I have looked at the website for that 26" Trailcraft, I guess I need to call them and ask some questions, I'd like to know about the head tube and max tire size. It's a little longer but lower than the Commencal 24. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    We go ride several times per week after he gets out of school, and today when we got home, I put him on my medium sized REI co-op DRT1.2, which was a 27.5 bike but now it's an almost mullet. My bike now has a 150mm Rockshox Pike (120mm Suntour was OEM) and a 2.6" front wire (2.25" was OEM), 27.5" dia rear / 28.3" dia front, ~67 deg head tube, ~72 deg seat tube, ~1123mm wheelbase, 430mm chainstay. Honestly with the seat all the way down, after 5 minutes in the driveway, he can ride my bike nearly as well as he can ride his MT220.

I some ways I think 27.5 is still too big for him, but after watching him, I don't think I need input on the Commencal 24 anymore. An extra small or even maybe a small, either 26 or 27.5, is probably what I will be buying. There are some optical illusions in the picture, but really, the relationship of grips to seat to cranks is very similar between the two.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone know places that may stock a 2020 Commencal Meta HT 24?-mt220-drt12.jpg